Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
To me the word "wheel" denotes the entirety of the rim and tire, not just the metal bit in the middle. I agree that rim is not very comprehensive when being used to denote the 'metal bit', but is there another equivalenat term? As I said, I don't think 'wheel' is it.

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
To me the word "wheel" denotes the entirety of the rim and tire, not just the metal bit in the middle. I agree that rim is not very comprehensive when being used to denote the 'metal bit', but is there another equivalenat term? As I said, I don't think 'wheel' is it.
A wheel is the "metal bit", which is comprised of three parts that may be separate or may be integral to each other. The hub is the center part that contains the holes for the lugs, the rim is the outer part that the tire mounts on, and the spokes (or disc) connect them. I have also sen descriptions that only include hub and rim, where the hub is everything out to the rim.

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
OK, then what do you call the whole hub/rim/tire assembly?
Wheel and tire, because there is not a name for the assembly. I took six wheels to the tire store and brought home six wheels with tires mounted on them.

Part of it comes from working with wheels that actually had separate rims, whether they were wire-spoked bicycle and motorcycle wheels or bolt-together racing wheels.

Mostly I gues that it's an engineering thing. I'll just keep ignoring what my brain tells me is wrong. Carry on.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Am I the only one here that is bothered by the practice of calling a wheel a rim?
No, you aren't, but there are enough even more egregious errors committed that that one often seems insignificant in comparison. Nonetheless it was worth commenting on. And if we drove trucks it would be an even more obvious faux pas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some info from a GM parts catalog:

"Part history shows 1st and 2nd design PD5 wheel p/n's for 2009 vehicles. Visual inspection of wheel design recommended prior to ordering. (see notes about PD5 wheel designs for each p/n)."
"09597298 - WHEEL, 18X8 (55MM O/S 110MM B/C) (CHROME) (1ST DES IS FLAT FACED FOR 2ND DES SEE 09597178 WITH ROUND FACED) - PD5"
"09597178 - WHEEL, 18X8 (ALUM) (110MM B/C 55MM O/S) (CHROME) (2ND DES IS ROUND FACE FOR 1ST DES SEE 09597298 WITH FLAT PLACE) -PD5"

Also shown are:
"09597176 - WHEEL, 18X8 (PAINTED) (CODE DNA) - N87"
"09597177 - WHEEL, 18X8 (ALUM) (110MM B/C 55MM O/S) (POLISHED) -QF8"

So, at least according to the catalog, there are 4 versions of a similar looking wheel for 2009, 1 painted, 1 polished, and 2 chrome (1st and 2nd design).

(There is also a notation about a "Q9X" wheel by the image of the wheel in question. There may errors in the RPO notations....)

And GM calls them "wheels". So that is that.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,371 Posts
(There is also a notation about a "Q9X" wheel by the image of the wheel in question. There may errors in the RPO notations....)
I forgot about the Q9Y wheels, which were a split spoke design in 2009 for the Special Edition Skys and the Street Edition Solstices.

What else?

:dunno:

There are pictures of the Q9Y wheels in the following thread:
Wheels Thread

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
Sorry Tomato but you are wrong. There is definitely a different wheel in 2009. I have shown many the difference. Now I will say some were built in 2009 with the previous years design and I don’t know where the cut off was. Wicked , that I ordered new, came with old style. My coupe #577 was delivered with brushed in the 2009 style and I’ve seen many 2009’s with the new design. They look very closely alike but definite difference. I can’t take pictures since I’m 1200 miles from my stored babies.

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
Sorry Tomato but you are wrong. There is definitely a different wheel in 2009. I have shown many the difference. Now I will say some were built in 2009 with the previous years design and I don’t know where the cut off was. Wicked , that I ordered new, came with old style. My coupe #577 was delivered with brushed in the 2009 style and I’ve seen many 2009’s with the new design. They look very closely alike but definite difference. I can’t take pictures since I’m 1200 miles from my stored babies.
I think that this pretty definitively shows that there were two wheels:

Some info from a GM parts catalog:

"Part history shows 1st and 2nd design PD5 wheel p/n's for 2009 vehicles. Visual inspection of wheel design recommended prior to ordering. (see notes about PD5 wheel designs for each p/n)."
"09597298 - WHEEL, 18X8 (55MM O/S 110MM B/C) (CHROME) (1ST DES IS FLAT FACED FOR 2ND DES SEE 09597178 WITH ROUND FACED) - PD5"
"09597178 - WHEEL, 18X8 (ALUM) (110MM B/C 55MM O/S) (CHROME) (2ND DES IS ROUND FACE FOR 1ST DES SEE 09597298 WITH FLAT PLACE) -PD5"

And GM calls them "wheels". So that is that.

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
But are they both CHROME wheels (not polished)? I'd definitely agree that there were new polished wheels, for sure. I've just never seen different chrome 5-spoke wheels - nor can I see any on google image search (as I said).

Please understand, I'm not saying that I know for sure - just I've never seen any evidence to the contrary.

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
But are they both CHROME wheels (not polished)? I'd definitely agree that there were new polished wheels, for sure. I've just never seen different chrome 5-spoke wheels - nor can I see any on google image search (as I said).

Please understand, I'm not saying that I know for sure - just I've never seen any evidence to the contrary.
What about the information in post 26?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts