Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Base Solstice with a little over 147,000 miles on it. It's been running like a champ, until I parked it for 3 weeks. I checked it once a week, ran the engine, and the like. I started driving it full time again, and the engine threw a P0014 code. I replaced the camshaft solenoids, intake and exhaust. However, even though I'm not throwing a code now, I'm still having engine hesitation, low power, and slow acceleration in second and third gears. I've seen threads on here referring to the catalytic converter being bad, but I'm leaning toward fouled spark plugs, since it has been sitting, or could it be water/condensation in the gasoline? However, the engine idles fine, and gas mileage is about the same, but I'll get the occasional P0420 code. I also started hearing a whirring/spinning/grinding noise when shifting the clutch until it warms up. Why would that suddenly start also, and should I just check the brake fluid, or just replace the clutch? I want to diagnose it myself, since I really detest mechanics, but I feel like this ---->:willy: Any ideas? Parking a car for a while is hell on it, I suppose...

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
If the plugs have never been replaced....you are WAYYYYY past the time that they should have been replaced!!!! Start there first if they have never been replaced!

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
I'm leaning toward the cat. My 07 Base did the same thing. My reasoning is that fouled plugs or poor gas wouldn't cause the sound you say you're hearing during low shifts at start up. The P0420 error is also key.

Ours did that - sounds like a metallic rattle, almost like a heat shield vibrating or something. Once you drove for about 5 minutes it was gone. Turns out the stock catalytic converter has a ring-like structure inside it. When I pulled the plugged cat off I could hear it shifting around inside and it would even rattle a bit when I shook it. That's when I made the connection - once that got hot enough to expand, it would quit rattling.

You'll probably notice that your loss of power occurs around 3,800-4,000 rpm also. If you want to confirm it's the cat you can remove the upstream (before the cat) O2 sensor and take a short drive. That will eliminate the back pressure that would be caused by the plugged cat. It will be noisy and you don't want to drive far, but you won't have to. If it's the cat, you'll know it right away.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
From what I've read of other's on the fora, sounds like the cat to me too.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
It's that occasional P0420 code that's calling, "the catalytic converter needs replacement".

Unfortunately, your mileage puts you outside of any cat converter warranty. :willy:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Replace the CAT as others suggest, and while you are there, replace the spark plugs. That is recommended at 100,000 miles..:yesnod:

BTW, anybody know how much a CAT cost?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
Replace the CAT as others suggest, and while you are there, replace the spark plugs. That is recommended at 100,000 miles..:yesnod:

BTW, anybody know how much a CAT cost?
Between $762.75 (list) and $475.96 (gmpartsdirect) plus shipping plus labor.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
I believe you can get a hi-flow for much less. I bought mine for about $350 - stainless steel from Clear Image. If you're relatively handy with wrenches, you can change it out yourself in about 45 minutes. (I got my "swap time" down to about 20 minutes with practice!)

Oh, and TS? "Fora"? You went all ivy-league there didn't you?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
There now that TS has said it, I can agree with him. Start with the cat. With your total mileage I am surprised that the cat still passes gas at all.
Hey Rob, I'm older then that with a lot more miles and I still pass gas!!! :glol::glol::glol:

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Good info ! I have a Performance Auto Werks cat on mine and easy bolt up cost me 267.00 and change a couple of years ago.Just a thought but I if I was going through all this I would replace plugs first and get the best money can buy replace cat and also oxygen sensors if you still have problems you might have an ECM issue.I park my car 6 months out of the year I live in Ohio and we deal with snow and bad weather up here I don't think your problem is because of the fact that you parked it for a couple of weeks .Did you ever consider some bad fuel?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've got a stock take-off cat from my 2006 Solstice. Only 25000 miles on it. Yours for $50 + shipping. Nothing wrong with it, just put on a Solo High-flow in it's place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Happy Independence Day, everyone! Thank you for the replies. I haven't pulled my spark plugs off yet, since I'm with my parents in Savannah, but I will definitely do that. And yeah, the RPM estimate for loss of power is about right. Just trying to get into it to go is aggravating in second and third gear. I'm just also concerned about that clutch though. It's always been hard to shift, and that noise occurs right after shifting. It's like something is loose and spinning. Can these clutches even be adjusted or easily diagnosed? It's always been difficult to shift, and the dealership said that its just the way it is with these cars. Sigh. And bob bob, I might just take you up on that offer. I'd have to weld it in, right? I've seen bolt-ones while looking for stuff for my truck, so I just have to ask.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
No welding. Though getting the old one unbolted can be extremely painful. Penetrating oil is your friend!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Not welded, easily bolted on, three on the manifold, two on the tailpipe. If nothing is rusted/frozen, 20 minutes tops.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I get back on Monday/Tuesday, I'll hit you up about it, bobbob. That way I can conduct my bizz-ness appropriately. I plan on getting the spark plugs done next week as well. Do I need to do the wires too? I know that the Solstices are different in regards to the wires, but I don't remember how different.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
They don't have traditional spark plug wires... the coil sits right on the plug so the wire going to it is low voltage. You should be fine with just plugs

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Blonde - don't stress about the clutch. I'd put a paycheck (well somebody else's paycheck) on the fact that one you replace the cat that rattle sound is gone.

It's funny because the dealer that did my cat (under warranty) also said I needed a transmission mount because they could hear a "clunk" when shifting. I asked if his tech actually saw a broken transmission mount and he said he wasn't sure. Told him that's the normal "clunk" when this tranny shifts!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts