Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im finally in a position to snag one of my favorite cars ever made.

the solstice coupe.

now i need some help with some things.

#1 what should i be paying for a new or used coupe?

#2 help me find them lol (automatic tranny please)

#3 preffered color choices are hydro, brazen, yellow

also an important question is i plan to swap a v8 in there eventually, should i go with the gxp or regular?

are gxp front ends readily available? because i love that front end.

thank you guys for the help.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I say get a n/a for 18-19k then a good(new or used)Gxp front end for 200-250 I say n/a because if your gonna swap an ls on there there is no point in paying extra for a Gxp then ripping out what you paid extra for! :willy:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I will try to help;

1. At least $50k
2. Shouldn't be a problem.
3. I suggest Pure.

I assume you want one with about 1000 miles, with the fully warrantied GMPP power upgrade and GM mudflaps right, and would also be good to have the GM extended warranty? I know where one is!
Just kidding! I think if you did what the guy said about a N.A., and you did the work yourself, you might be able to do it for $40-50k depending on which LS engine you want.
LJ

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I say get a n/a for 18-19k then a good(new or used)Gxp front end for 200-250 I say n/a because if your gonna swap an ls on there there is no point in paying extra for a Gxp then ripping out what you paid extra for! :willy:
gotcha, do you have any idea where i could find a gxp front end? or would it have to be on the forum or is there someone who makes them?

·
Registered
406 Posts
You could go through say crate engine depot or gm parts direct if you want I think they would carry them or eBay has some, there is also other options for the bumpers, you can go with Norms 430 front end, the RK sport bumper, or these is also a dura flex bumper that looks 350z ish or you could buy a used on here when they come up

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could go through say crate engine depot or gm parts direct if you want I think they would carry them or eBay has some, there is also other options for the bumpers, you can go with Norms 430 front end, the RK sport bumper, or these is also a dura flex bumper that looks 350z ish or you could buy a used on here when they come up
lookin for the gxp bumper cuz i love norms spoiler for it lol , crazy but im in love.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm not too sure but I would ask norm if the Gxp spliter would fit on the n/a bumper, but if not you can definitely find a Gxp bumper Somewhere for around 200-250

·
Premium Member
325 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
You better grab that car!!! Looks perfect for what you want, and it's like new!
LJ

·
Registered
119 Posts
yeah im gonna try and workem down to 20 out the door
Good luck!! Thats probably about how much they gave the guy who traded it!
If you have not driven one with the power upgrade kit, you probably will be impressed, since the auto's seem to get into the 12's with few other mods. I know when I jump on it at 45mph, it spins the tires in 2nd so hard that if your just in D it will shift into 3rd too early. Even a good LS1 may have to much power for the stock transmission's to last.
LJ

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If you have not driven one with the power upgrade kit, you probably will be impressed, since the auto's seem to get into the 12's with few other mods. I know when I jump on it at 45mph, it spins the tires in 2nd so hard that if your just in D it will shift into 3rd too early. Even a good LS1 may have to much power for the stock transmission's to last.
LJ
oh yeah i wont be keeping the stock tranny when i eventually swap engines.

i would love to have the gxp for power and efficiency but the brazen is calling to me.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
LJ
There is another coupe in the 12's? Not sure I've seen proof of a Vert running 12's.

To the OP, why an auto if you are going to replace the trans anyway? With that another auto or manual?

The stock trans was used by BMW behind diesels, doubt if you can hook up a Solstice enough with a V8 to hurt the trans before the tires let go.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
There is another coupe in the 12's? Not sure I've seen proof of a Vert running 12's.
I haven't seen them running under 13 without more than trivial modification either.

The OP should consider that plans often don't go as they want and they may be living with the car they buy for a long time and may never get around to doing the conversion, in which case the GXP is a far better choice even with the price differential. It should also tend to hold value a bit better than the NA will if you never do the V8 conversion and end up selling the car.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
I haven't seen them running under 13 without more than trivial modification either.

The OP should consider that plans often don't go as they want and they may be living with the car they buy for a long time and may never get around to doing the conversion, in which case the GXP is a far better choice even with the price differential. It should also tend to hold value a bit better than the NA will if you never do the V8 conversion and end up selling the car.
I thought I had missed someone else running in the 12's, lots of should, could, would IF cars on here very few back up claims with facts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

To the OP, why an auto if you are going to replace the trans anyway? With that another auto or manual?

The stock trans was used by BMW behind diesels, doubt if you can hook up a Solstice enough with a V8 to hurt the trans before the tires let go.
the reason for auto is because i wont be doing the conversion for a year or 2.

and i would love to have the gxp til then but it's not like their are tons and tons of them out there for me to choose from in terms of colors.

i love hydro and brazen, sly as well

and for now there are only NAs in that color. if norm had his hardtop out already i would probably consider a vert and just convert it if htey looked similar.

·
Registered
60 Posts
so im finally in a position to snag one of my favorite cars ever made.

the solstice coupe.
now i need some help with some things.#1 what should i be paying for a new or used coupe?
#2 help me find them lol (automatic tranny please)
#3 preffered color choices are hydro, brazen, yellow
also an important question is i plan to swap a v8 in there eventually, should i go with the gxp or regular?
--are gxp front ends readily available? because i love that front end.

thank you guys for the help.
Here is one on Cars.com

This Coupe is # 0055
2009 Pontiac Solstice Base - $24,994 with 1,700 miles Built on 4-22 of 2009

I found my GXP Coupe on cars.com -- it had 20,225 miles for $22,900 (well i paid $22,400 after a $500 deposit)

solid car

Before I swapped out the black wheels for the Factory OEM polished 18" wheels

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
the reason for auto is because i wont be doing the conversion for a year or 2.

and i would love to have the gxp til then but it's not like their are tons and tons of them out there for me to choose from in terms of colors.

i love hydro and brazen, sly as well

and for now there are only NAs in that color. if norm had his hardtop out already i would probably consider a vert and just convert it if htey looked similar.
After you do the swap, what trans do you want to run with the LSx?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm guessing he would use a t56

1 - 20 of 44 Posts