Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to announce the purchase of a second Solstice into the family, This one is for wife, but we're having issues right out of the gate.

She's a completely stock 2008 2.4 NA automatic with 32.7K on the odometer. Original everything I assume since she's still sporting the original Goodyear tires (I've ordered new tires).

At purchase, a salesman said the dealership had replaced the water pump and the ECM. I've yet to confirm that with the manager of the service department - and plan to tomorrow.

The wife didn't make it 10 miles before it went into Limp Mode. It threw the following codes:
PO120
PO122
PO123
PO220
PO222
PO223
PO2135

GM dealership had it ready next day and said it was a bad wire on the Throttle Body.

Car drove home fine (30 miles), sat for a day then the wife went to town about 10 miles away.

Back in limp mode again. Had her take it to O'Reilly's and put it on a scanner. The following codes:

PO700
PO1516
PO2101
PO2544

Both times it went into Limp Mode, the clock radio reset to default time and date.

Main question - would it be safe to drove 30 miles back to the dealership - or should I have them tow it (rollback)?

After being on the forum a couple years - and reading over old threads - I have a couple of ideas as to what the issue may be, but I don't want to voice them fearing they might taint the jury pool - so to speak.

I want to hear the Forum's opinion.

Thanks for any help!!

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Congrats on your second purchase of another solstice. Sorry to hear your getting codes on it. Hopefully a few of the members that are a lot more knowledgeable than me on this issue can help you out Bama.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
These are throttle body codes and TCM code.....odd, very odd....

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
When did you replace the battery last? Too many different codes here.

The others I've seen has been a wiring harness issue and an ECM.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ghost, I believe it has the original battery. No battery change reported in the service history.

·
Super Moderator
16,422 Posts
When you get multiple codes, eliminate the power as the culprit. Have the grounds checked and cleaned up. If it’s the factory battery have it replaced. Find out why the ECM was replaced. Was this a problem beforehand?

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Look up on Google how to tell the age of the battery. When the batteries start to go bad, we get all sorts of weird codes and gremlins that start to happen because of a weak battery. If it is original battery, change it, your running with a miracle battery there!

Reactions: Sting Ya

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
You can find how to read the date code on an AC Delco battery on the following page. Scroll about 1/2 way down and you'll find the information.

From the Delco battery site:

How do I read the warranty date code on my battery?
The warranty date code is located on the top label of the battery. The first character is either a P or S. The next two digits determine the month, the third digit is year and the fourth digit indicates the manufacturing plant. For example, P 094N means the battery was made in September 2004 in the New Brunswick factory.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sly, checked the battery, but did not find a letter before the number 9486. So am I to assume this battery was made in April 2008?

Rob, if the dealer did change the ECM, my guess is the car has been throwing random codes since the dealer got it on lot. They chased the codes (down a rabbit hole) and just decided the problem was the ECM and changed it thinking that was the repair. I wanted to check the forum this morning for responses to my post before I made the call to the dealer to confirm.

Since (so far) the only time it's gone into Limp Mode (twice) has been at start-up - and the time/date defaults on the radio - I'm leaning towards electrical.

Second guess on the PO700 trans code would be camshaft position sensors. (But I'm thinking battery first.)

Now, if the car is in Limp Mode, will it make it w/o damage to the dealer 30 miles away?

·
Super Moderator
7,636 Posts
I would try cleaning the battery terminals, and confirming that they are tight.
Also try starting it with a booster battery or jumper cables from another car connected to see if you get the same codes.

Reactions: Sting Ya

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John, I don't have an ODB reader on hand. It doesn't go into Limp Mode every start-up. And I want to leave the codes it's showing now for the dealer to find. If I did clear the codes, it might cycle 10 or more times before it codes again.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Confirmed: ECM was swapped out - didn't say what codes it threw, but that it was kicking into Limp Mode. Water pump was also changed. Scheduled to get the car to the dealer this afternoon for a battery change.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
For some peace of mind when you go to the dealer have the service rep run the vin number this will tell you any service and recalls performed at a authorized GM dealership and make sure the recalls are performed .At this point I'd leave the car there till they have this issue figured out .I know when my battery on my 2007 NA was going it started throwing codes from some strange reason as others have mentioned these cars are tempermental when you have battery issues . Just a shot in the dark but was the ECM properly programmed when it was replaced ? Good Luck !

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, Sting. When we bought it I had the dealer provide a Build Sheet (no limited slip differential... Dang!) and a service record. All recalls have been performed. PPS went with the tape reinforcement, and not a replacement seat (dang! again). The only thing not on the Service Sheet was the recent water pump and ECM replacement.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Yeah, I would guess the battery too (or a flaky ground). Key indicator is that the radio loses the clock - this happens after it loses power.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No word from the dealership yet, Easy. I told the service manager to change the battery and check all hard grounds. Whether they have or not, I don't know. I'm sure they looked at the procedure to change the battery and decided they should pack a lunch. Maybe they ignored my advice and want to chase random codes, I don't know. The sale came with a 3 year/50K mile (aftermarket) warranty, so this isn't coming out of my pocket - so to speak. I'm also waiting for a new set of tires to be delivered to the house. The Sol still has the original Goodyears. I had to pay for the tires, but mounting and balancing falls on the dealership. I'd like to get the tires - take them to the dealership - and have them mounted before bringing it home anyway. They gave the wife a loaner to drive in the meanwhile, so this delay isn't hurting us - it's just annoying we don't have a second Solstice to drive at the moment.

I'm telling them battery & grounds. If that doesn't work, I'm telling them VVT solenoids. If neither of those repairs solve the problem, I'll give them another week to chase codes and if it can't be fixed, I'll see about cancelling the sale under Alabama's Lemon Law. But I hope things don't come to that. I'd rather have the car!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was hoping to announce the purchase of a second Solstice into the family, This one is for wife, but we're having issues right out of the gate.

She's a completely stock 2008 2.4 NA automatic with 32.7K on the odometer. Original everything I assume since she's still sporting the original Goodyear tires (I've ordered new tires).

At purchase, a salesman said the dealership had replaced the water pump and the ECM. I've yet to confirm that with the manager of the service department - and plan to tomorrow.

The wife didn't make it 10 miles before it went into Limp Mode. It threw the following codes:
PO120
PO122
PO123
PO220
PO222
PO223
PO2135

GM dealership had it ready next day and said it was a bad wire on the Throttle Body.

Car drove home fine (30 miles), sat for a day then the wife went to town about 10 miles away.

Back in limp mode again. Had her take it to O'Reilly's and put it on a scanner. The following codes:

PO700
PO1516
PO2101
PO2544

Both times it went into Limp Mode, the clock radio reset to default time and date.

Main question - would it be safe to drove 30 miles back to the dealership - or should I have them tow it (rollback)?

After being on the forum a couple years - and reading over old threads - I have a couple of ideas as to what the issue may be, but I don't want to voice them fearing they might taint the jury pool - so to speak.

I want to hear the Forum's opinion.

Thanks for any help!!

View attachment 109749
I had a similar problem and it involved the wrong settings in the ECM. The fix was finding a place that would download the original default software settings. Everything went back to their factory settings and the car ran (and still runs) like a charm.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE: Called the dealership this morning to check on the Solstice. "The car's been ready since Tuesday. Didn't the salesman call you?"

No.

Anyway, they say the battery change cleared all the gremlins. We're picking it up this afternoon and we'll see how it goes. Two of the new tires have arrived. Still waiting on the other two.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts