Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I removed the one after market speaker surround that stayed on to install my new high end German speaker surrounds and low and behold I discovered that I must have added glue to keep it on way back when. My understanding is nail polish will do the trick but wanted to check with the forum before I go ahead. I suspect this is one for Chicken Wire. Appreciate the help.
NS

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Installed the German speaker surround on the other door and looks pretty OEM to me. Nice fit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
AND....

what brand ? where did you get them ?

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Gorilla glue is basically a urethane that reacts to moisture in the air. Best bet? Physical removal by cutting and gently scraping.

Since you might have an issue with that, you can try a solvent like acetone - nail polish remover. The polypropylene door panel will have "good" resistance to the acetone, but it's not impervious to it. If you do go that route, use it sparingly and patiently and clean up any over coverage. Maybe use a q-tip to apply and wipe the surrounding areas immediately?

I fear that anything aggressive enough to attack the urethane more quickly isn't going to bode well for the door panels.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Chicken Wire. You are a gentleman and a scholar.?

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Good to see you pop on the forum & i hope all is good with you Northern.. As always chickenwire is there to help & as always its greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am always here. Sold the Coupe as you know but still have my wonderful Mean Machine. As you can see I am back to mod’n it.
Stay well. ?

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
I just used acetone to clean up some plastic trim on my outdoor lights with good results ,it removed the old paint and did not damage the plastic at all .As with anything care must be used but needless to say it worked .

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it is Acetone ( the wife’s ). Might not be the strongest????

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
I would try straight acetone if your not familiar with the stuff it can be purchased at any hardware /bigbox store in the paint section about 5 bucks for a quart and it's something that can be used for other cleaning purposes good to have around .

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you Sting Ya. I will give it a try.?

·
Super Moderator
7,009 Posts
Here you go....
I would try straight acetone if your not familiar with the stuff it can be purchased at any hardware /bigbox store in the paint section about 5 bucks for a quart and it's something that can be used for other cleaning purposes good to have around .
I agree with Sting. While it does contain acetone as the primary ingredient, there is a lot of other stuff in there, so the concentration may be low.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Makes sense. Thanks John.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
If I was doing this I would use a Q Tip and dab the acetone on the glue to try and soften it up .Then whether using acetone or heat I would try and pry the glue up using a plastic scraper or plastic razor blades . And yes there is such a thing I've used them for years you can get them on Ebay cheap 100 for 10 bucks just a thought .

1 - 20 of 36 Posts