Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm human and made a costly mistake. My top flew open on the highway now I have a gap between my top and the window and also my trunk won't open. Haven't tried using force for fear it won't close. Do I need a whole new top? Do I have any other options. I was wondering if the bent components could be remove and new ones welded on? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
So how exactly did that happen, they only thing I can think that would make that happen is disengaing the top lock on the highway. And that is not a mistake, that is just outright dumb.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I wish I could say I haven't ever done anything equally regrettable in my life, but that would certainly be a lie... :willy: (It took me 3 marriages to finally get that right... :lol:)

As far as repairs, it's really hard to say without being able to examine the damage. Does the trunk attempt to open and just the buttresses won't release? It might be best to take it to a pro to at least see what it's going to take.

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
The top is a rube goldberg assemblage of struts, hinges, cables etc that is difficult to work on under normal conditions. The good news is that it is easily removable. Four bolts and you can pull the entire top assembly out of the trunk, put it on the bench and inspect it.

We need more info on why the trunk will not open. Are the buttresses releasing or not? Can you hear the solonoid lock release?

The first step seems to be to get the trunk open and inspecting the top mechanism.

Were it me, I would pick up one of the available used tops that show up on Ebay etc.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Were it me, I would pick up one of the available used tops that show up on Ebay etc.
You have 10 of everything ever made for the Solstice by now in Punisher's "Taj Garage" don't you? :lol: I keep a spare top for my wife's '08 Mean stored on my '06 Cool... :willy: (Maybe I should consider getting some spare stuff....:yesnod:)

If it were me, a full top replacement would be in order. In my limited experience, bent pieces become weakened pieces once they are straightened. Of course, can't say for sure without knowing if there are bent pieces or not. But the trunk release is the part that somewhat concerns me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So how exactly did that happen, they only thing I can think that would make that happen is disengaing the top lock on the highway. And that is not a mistake, that is just outright dumb.
So let me ask you, how many "just plain dumb" things have you ever done in your lifetime.?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Its easy to have something else pressing on your mind when you put th top up and forget to latch it. I also did it and had the exact same thing happen. The trunk will not"pop" up on its own anymore, you have to open the access cover and help it. "Professionals" have examined it and cannot find anything obvious" wrong. The RubeGoldberg frame has been stressed, it still folds up and down, the back wings need a little more attention but it works. I will not say its just "outright dumb" , they make a bumper sticker that address it:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts