Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CIL came on and engine reduced power showed up on the DIC. HPFP was making a weird sound. I took off from a stop light under a good amount of acceleration and when I hit second gear I noticed the power loss. Limped it home in about an hour. Just as I pulled into the neighborhood, the power came back but CIL still on. On my way home I stopped and had it scanned and p0087 came up, low fuel pressure something and there was 3 others under this code as well. I’m pretty sure I hit the rev limiter before I shifted but not sure. Is my hpfp on its way out, could hitting the rev limiter done something, crap in the fuel, ?‍♂. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

ok, update. I just disconnected the battery terminals to clear the CIL. Put them back on, went to start the car and it took about 2-3 seconds for it to start. CIL came off and I took it for a 20 minute drive and everything seemed normal. HPFP sounded normal, hard acceleration was normal and even taking off slow and shifting low rpm was normal. Any suggestions as to why this happened and now it’s seems back to normal? Is this temporary and the pump is going out?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already did and it only told me what I already new, issue with one of two fuel pumps. However, the issue seemed to resolve itself for now. Just trying to figure out if it was something I did or if the pump is going out at less than 40k miles. Couldn’t find any other threads with my particular issue. I’ve never heard of a fuel pump going bad, it’s either bad or it works. First car with a HPFP hence why I posted my situation. Maybe these work intermittently then crap out but like the post above his just went out.

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
Already did and it only told me what I already new, issue with one of two fuel pumps. However, the issue seemed to resolve itself for now. Just trying to figure out if it was something I did or if the pump is going out at less than 40k miles. Couldn’t find any other threads with my particular issue. I’ve never heard of a fuel pump going bad, it’s either bad or it works. First car with a HPFP hence why I posted my situation. Maybe these work intermittently then crap out but like the post above his just went out.
Sorry to have wasted your time.

Did you check the electrical connector mentioned in that thread? The fuel pump includes an electrically controlled regulater.

In your first post you mentioned "3 others". What did you mean? Three other codes? Or was it only the one code?

Have you had it re-scanned? Many faults require multiple occurrences before they trigger a code. I don't know if this is one of them, or if it has various degrees of severity.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Well...too be sure as John mentioned, you said there were "3 others". Kind of need those to help you out and be precise. But.....if I had to guess from what you stated, when you ran it hard, your computer saw something it didn't like and sent back the code. Now...that could be a few things...O2 sensor that is going bad or just isn't picking up its full range....bad HPFP as you stated....could even be the pump in the tank not pushing enough fuel. Let me ask a few questions since I had to replace my HPFP.....

Do you have a consistent HPFP tick? Like a clock ticks? Or is it erratic? Your HPFP should have 2 speeds. A nice slow tick about every second (at operating temp) or a very fast tick past xxxx rpms. There should be no sporadic ticking.

Smell your oil...does it smell like raw fuel or exhaust? Raw fuel means your HPFP is "probably" leaking and needs to be replaced...BUT...if this is the case, you usually get the P2187 - too rich at idle.

With that all said, as John described....you can "pend" a CEL. In other words, the ECM has detected a fault xx times or for xx seconds but did not detect it long enough to set a CEL. So it's holds it and doesn't turn on the CEL....UNTIL....it happens xx times.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to have wasted your time.

Did you check the electrical connector mentioned in that thread? The fuel pump includes an electrically controlled regulater.

In your first post you mentioned "3 others". What did you mean? Three other codes? Or was it only the one code?

Have you had it re-scanned? Many faults require multiple occurrences before they trigger a code. I don't know if this is one of them, or if it has various degrees of severity.
I didn’t mean to sound like your reply wasted my time, my apologies. I have not checked the electrical connections as mentioned in the other thread. I tried running the car and listening for the HPFP to look but can’t quite pinpoint the location of the pump connectors. The 3 other codes was referring to the one code p0087. It showed only that code but said 2 ecm and 2 something else but they all were related to low fuel pressure. I have not had it rescanned but will be driving it again to see if I can get it to happen again. Do you happen to know where I can find a diagram or some pictures of what I am actually looking for? Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
I didn’t mean to sound like your reply wasted my time, my apologies. I have not checked the electrical connections as mentioned in the other thread. I tried running the car and listening for the HPFP to look but can’t quite pinpoint the location of the pump connectors. The 3 other codes was referring to the one code p0087. It showed only that code but said 2 ecm and 2 something else but they all were related to low fuel pressure. I have not had it rescanned but will be driving it again to see if I can get it to happen again. Do you happen to know where I can find a diagram or some pictures of what I am actually looking for? Thanks for your help.
I am still confused about the "3 others". If there are other codes, the service instruction says that they should be addressed first, so you may have to wait for this to happen again so that you can get detailed information about them. I don't have access to the manual at this moment, so i can't post anything from it. There have been a number of threads about changing the HPFP so you may be able to find something here, and i believe that there is at least one YouTube video that shows the process. The LNF engine was also used in the Cobalt, so a search for LNF HPFP replacement may get you more results if Solstice HPFP doesn't work.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well...too be sure as John mentioned, you said there were "3 others". Kind of need those to help you out and be precise. But.....if I had to guess from what you stated, when you ran it hard, your computer saw something it didn't like and sent back the code. Now...that could be a few things...O2 sensor that is going bad or just isn't picking up its full range....bad HPFP as you stated....could even be the pump in the tank not pushing enough fuel. Let me ask a few questions since I had to replace my HPFP.....

Do you have a consistent HPFP tick? Like a clock ticks? Or is it erratic? Your HPFP should have 2 speeds. A nice slow tick about every second (at operating temp) or a very fast tick past xxxx rpms. There should be no sporadic ticking.

Smell your oil...does it smell like raw fuel or exhaust? Raw fuel means your HPFP is "probably" leaking and needs to be replaced...BUT...if this is the case, you usually get the P2187 - too rich at idle.

With that all said, as John described....you can "pend" a CEL. In other words, the ECM has detected a fault xx times or for xx seconds but did not detect it long enough to set a CEL. So it's holds it and doesn't turn on the CEL....UNTIL....it happens xx times.
Yes, the normal tick is back. When it went into limp mode the tick was not normal. It was louder and not as rhythmic would be the best description. It was still a steady tick but about every other tick was louder than normal if that makes sense. I just changed the oil a few weeks ago and the oil smelled like it always does which is a little bit of a gas smell. It’s always been like that since 3,000 miles and the oil level wasn’t higher than normal.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I am still confused about the "3 others". If there are other codes, the service instruction says that they should be addressed first, so you may have to wait for this to happen again so that you can get detailed information about them. I don't have access to the manual at this moment, so i can't post anything from it. There have been a number of threads about changing the HPFP so you may be able to find something here, and i believe that there is at least one YouTube video that shows the process. The LNF engine was also used in the Cobalt, so a search for LNF HPFP replacement may get you more results if Solstice HPFP doesn't work.
Sorry about the confusion. When I scanned it only one code showed up, the p0087. However, when I went to details there were 4 things that popped up all under the p0087. 2 were ecm and 2 were something else. I don’t have the pic of it as my wife took it with her phone. I’ll get it from her later today or when I get home. I can’t have a cell phone on at work. When I clicked on those 4 details they all mentioned low fuel pressure so I take that as that being the only issue. I’ll look for the video and the other threads. Thanks for the info on those as well. ? this was just a snafu and everything is going to be alright but I want to have a general idea of what and where this stuff is at in case I need to replace something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts