Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to take the licence plate bracket off the front of the car, I took the licence plate off but I could not figure out how to take the bracket off. The plate has to go, It just ruins the look of the front. That is the only negative thing anyone mentioned other then that I've been getting tons of thumbs-up and complements from people that I would not expect complements from. I can't get enough of this car. For those who don't have thier cars yet, HANG ON ITS WORTH THE WAIT... :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Igmyster said:
Does anyone know how to take the licence plate bracket off the front of the car, I took the licence plate off but I could not figure out how to take the bracket off. The plate has to go, It just ruins the look of the front. That is the only negative thing anyone mentioned other then that I've been getting tons of thumbs-up and complements from people that I would not expect complements from. I can't get enough of this car. For those who don't have thier cars yet, HANG ON ITS WORTH THE WAIT... :cool: :cool: :cool:

We left it off to begin with, haven't had one on our Monte Carlo for 5 years and never got stopped.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'll go to the dealer on Tuesday and get them to take it off, I will see what happens if I get stopped. :leaving: :leaving:

·
Registered
405 Posts
The dearler put ours on and we had them take it off....there are not any screws or anything, it is just a friction fit.....at the end of those shafts it is alittle wider....you just need to push them inboard alittle and it will release the bracket...we are not very far from you, less than 1/2 hour, if you wanted to come out and see a removed one to help you...if you PM me i'll give a phone number

Bill

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Take him up on it Igmyster! Bill makes a hell of a hamburger! If you can finished 2 then you can have my car!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
SOLSTZ06 said:
The dearler put ours on and we had them take it off....there are not any screws or anything, it is just a friction fit.....at the end of those shafts it is alittle wider....you just need to push them inboard alittle and it will release the bracket...we are not very far from you, less than 1/2 hour, if you wanted to come out and see a removed one to help you...if you PM me i'll give a phone number

Bill
Bill, your dealer didn't use the strip of tape along the back of the plate bracket? There should be a strip of double sided tape along that runs down the center of the plate bracket, which is supposed to make the bracket stick to the bumper between the twin grills.

Igmyster, take a look at yours, and see if the dealer used the tape or not. This might make it a little harder to take off.

·
Registered
405 Posts
They did use the tape...it came off attached to the bracket and not the car....but I did forget about that tape.....when it came off attached to the bracket, my thought was that it was there to stop the bracket from rubbing against the paint as sticking the bracket to the car.....and it was only two days later....

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
SOLSTZ06 said:
They did use the tape...it came off attached to the bracket and not the car....but I did forget about that tape.....when it came off attached to the bracket, my thought was that it was there to stop the bracket from rubbing against the paint as sticking the bracket to the car.....and it was only two days later....
I wonder if they actually used the tape? I think it comes already attached to the bracket, and you have to peel the paper backing off to expose the sticky tape. Maybe they never peeled off the paper backing, and just relied on the clips to hold the bracket on?

·
Registered
405 Posts
The sticky side is exposed and the tape is almost completely intact....anyway it is off and so far no problem with the law!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
SOLSTZ06 said:
The sticky side is exposed and the tape is almost completely intact....anyway it is off and so far no problem with the law!
Cool. Glad to hear it was easy to remove, without a lot of tape left behind on the bumper of the car.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SOLSTZ06 said:

Bill
Thanks for the offer Bill I might take you up on that offer, but I think I might get the courage to do it myself, I saw the tape there but I was scared that it might take the paint off. Can you touch up paint :lol:

·
Registered
405 Posts
It's not just the tape holding it on....the top two.... posts, arms or whatever, are bulbus at the end, so that once they are pushed in they expand out past the grill cells at the back, you have to push these top two towards the centre of the bracket and deal with the tape as you pull it out, I would think you would be able to remove any excess tape and clean up the adhesive with something like "Googone"

Remember though, I didn't actually take mine off, the dealer did at my request,..on delivery they told me how they did it and included that the grill might come out also but it just needed to be "snapped" back in place, once again, these are their words, that could be what happened when they removed ours, and if it is there is no evidence or no issues as a result of this

1 - 12 of 12 Posts