Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
Someone t-boned me yesterday and crushed the passenger door and passenger rear fender/door jam or my solstice. Shop doesn't know if they will he able to find parts for it. Does anyone know of someone parting out there sol that might have those parts on hand? I don't care what color they are ( I'd get it repainted) and I think the gxp and na versions were the same for those parts. I'm willing to drive a reasonable distance and am located near the Portland oregon area and work in the tuscaloosa alabama area.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
2,285 Posts
or just swap your better parts to it. very little work and no issues with bent frame or getting the body lines&gaps right. it's amazing on what all gets effed up in a crash that you donut see. and it adds up very fast.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
or just swap your better parts to it. very little work and no issues with bent frame or getting the body lines&gaps right. it's amazing on what all gets effed up in a crash that you donut see. and it adds up very fast.
I'll attach a picture of it. Nothing seems damaged except those two parts.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
6,372 Posts
don't mess with fixing that. the rocker panel and rear quarter panel are all one piece and impossible to get as a single piece. it is glued and welded onto the car. The rocker panel is the problem when trying to take it off to reuse. It takes a lot of heat and a lot of patience and in the end the metal is going to be wavy gravy because of the heat.

Is it a GXP and what year is it? How many miles are on it? automatic or standard transmission?

I ask this because my 2008 GXP that has 58,000 miles on it and is a standard transmission was totaled 2 years ago. Insurance company gave me almost 20 grand for it. If yours is a standard transmission GXP and the mileage is about the same I will give you all of the information I have from the insurance company including the e-mails I sent to them to determine the value. This will help you when your insurance company totals it (which is going to happen). It shows what the car is worth and it will make it a whole lot easier to get the dollars you should from the insurance company.

Reactions: Renee

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Let them total it and get another one.

Optionally you can guy that one back from them as well and have it as a parts car. I bought mine back for 4,000.00

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
don't mess with fixing that. the rocker panel and rear quarter panel are all one piece and impossible to get as a single piece. it is glued and welded onto the car. The rocker panel is the problem when trying to take it off to reuse. It takes a lot of heat and a lot of patience and in the end the metal is going to be wavy gravy because of the heat.

Is it a GXP and what year is it? How many miles are on it? automatic or standard transmission?

I ask this because my 2008 GXP that has 58,000 miles on it and is a standard transmission was totaled 2 years ago. Insurance company gave me almost 20 grand for it. If yours is a standard transmission GXP and the mileage is about the same I will give you all of the information I have from the insurance company including the e-mails I sent to them to determine the value. This will help you when your insurance company totals it (which is going to happen). It shows what the car is worth and it will make it a whole lot easier to get the dollars you should from the insurance company.
See that’s what sucks. No insurance on the car, just for other cars. So either selling as is or trying to fix it really are the only options.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
someone t-boned you? Your fault?

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
You can put a new door on it and get a set of side skirts and just cover over the damaged rocker panel.

Doors can be gotten from Redline Autoparts out of Florida and Norms Fiberglass makes a set of side skirts as does RKSport.

RKSport side skirts might be easier to work with because of how they sit on the car and also because you can bend them if needed.

That is what I would do. Clean up the damaged rocker and primer it o it doesn't rust and then put side skirts on it.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Before you do that tho go and have an alignment done. Specifically have them check the toe on that right rear wheel. It could be the photo but it looks likt the tire might be slightly toed in. That would not be a good thing because it means the frame may have gotten tweaked inwards and that would cause the front mount on the lower control arm for that tire to move inwards. If the frame has moved the toe on the rear tire might be able to be adjusted out.

Spend the money on the alignment and let the guy that is working on the car know what happened and why you are having an alignment done. There are things the tech can do to check if the frame is off or not you just have to talk to him. And also throwing the guy 40 bucks or something like that for spending the extra time also helps a lot. You have to find someone that has been doping alignments for a while.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
wait wait wait...

You were making a left hand turn from one street to another street? and someone pulled out of a parking lot and t-boned you?

If that is the case the accident is not your fault. If you were in the street and the other person was coming out of a parking lot almost 100% of the time it's the person coming out of the parking lots fault.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
That is not your fault. You should contact your insurance company and let them know the circumstances and they will go after the other persons insurance company if they deem it to be their fault.

100% of the time a person exiting a parking lot MUST yield to cars in the street. Vehicles in the street have the right of way PERIOD!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wait wait wait...

You were making a left hand turn from one street to another street? and someone pulled out of a parking lot and t-boned you?

If that is the case the accident is not your fault. If you were in the street and the other person was coming out of a parking lot almost 100% of the time it's the person coming out of the parking lots fault.
I’m leaving out some of the details. Wasn’t a legal left turn, crossed a double yellow line. Wasn’t unsafe, but the parking lot guy wasn’t able to see me because of a tree.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
don't know if that would matter. You were still in the road the person exiting the parking lot was not. You could have been swerving to avoid an animal in the road for all they know. They failed to yield to a vehicle in the street.

I was involved in an accident where I t-boned someone. I was exiting a parking lot and was waved out by a guy driving an SUV that was blocking my view. Well someone rode down the double yellow to get to the left hand turn lane at the traffic light. the road was only 1 lane until right in front of my car where it split into 2 lanes. I knew that people frequently would do the illegal manouver to get to the left hand turn lane.

The guy was also speeding, had no license and no insurance in a vehicle that was unregistered. Guess who got the ticket? I did. even tho the driver of the vehicle I hit was breaking a plethora of laws. I got a ticket for failure to yield right of way.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

That was the setup. I was making a left.

I am the one that got the ticket.

·
Registered
437 Posts
He said he did not have insurance in post #9 so there is no insurance company for him to call.

Sad story, sorry for your car. Are you a mechanical type of guy? Can you do the work yourself? There is a series on youtube where a guy replaces a damaged quarter. It will give you a feel for what you are getting into.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He said he did not have insurance in post #9 so there is no insurance company for him to call.

Sad story, sorry for your car. Are you a mechanical type of guy? Can you do the work yourself? There is a series on youtube where a guy replaces a damaged quarter. It will give you a feel for what you are getting into.
Ya, I have insurance, but it was the cheapest one, so no coverage for my car, just the other person, to which there was no damage at all. I’m pretty mechanically inclined and have a good amount of tools. Does the you tube video show how to take the rocker/rear panel off?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts