Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother is planning to get a second vehicle for around town driving. She wants to spend around 15 but will go as high as 20k, and she would like something "sporty" since this will be a secondary car. After thinking for a little while the best car I can come up with is a pt cruiser convertible (seen advertized for 15 in the paper). I am now asking you if you can think of any other alternatives. She wants a new car and she is not comfortable with a miata or mini because of their size. I am ruling out a solstice since I would assume that it will come in at 23 or so equiped the way she would want it. Any suggestions are welcome. Thankyou

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I'd get her looking at a Scion Tc. It's not as ugly as an xA or xB (no offense, I know we have at least one xB owner here). But it's a Toyota, and it's cheap.

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
What about the NEW Chevy Cobalt?.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
If she wants a real bargain take a look at the closeouts on Sunfire. Get one with upgraded tires and loaded up with $4000 cash back and dealers wanting to clear them out they are now dirt cheap. A Vibe would also be a good alternative for her.

·
5,600 Posts
If she wants a convertible, the PT Cruiser is the only game in town according to this:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/104876/article.html

Otherwise she should consider a Chevy Cobalt, a V6 Mustang coupe, a Honda Civic (even the Si is under $20k) a Hyundai Tiburon, a Mazda 6, a Pontiac Sunfire, a Scion tC or a Toyota Celica. Because those are the ONLY sport coupes under $20k made today. Those are all the choices she has. Period.

You just don't get a lot for a $20k cutoff anymore. That is why the Solstice carries such HUGE significance. It won't be luxurious, but you can actually purchase a serious convertible sports car for under $20,000, which is near-miraculous in this day and age. There is nothing on the road that even comes close.

Miata fans will scream that the new UMCSC comes much better equipped for just a few thousand dollars more. And that is true. But nothing changes the fact that if you absolutely unequivocally must keep the car's price under $20,000 - you can walk away with a serious convertible sports car in the Solstice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts