Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to place my order for the first 1000. My dealer says they have no solid information on color or options. I assume the way it works is that when he gets the info on April 4 I will get to choose color and options. He says the 1000 program dosen't start until April 15 offically. Does this sound right? I see on this site that others claim to have ordered with color and options already. If so how do they have this info when it isn't due out until April? The deposit would be refundable if I changed my mind for some reason wouldn't it? Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
You have it correct as far as I know too. Many people are using confusing terms like "order" when they really mean they handed a deposit to a dealer and maybe told him what options they wanted. Dealers can see a tenative list of options in some GM system (we have them in our FAQ somewhere) but there are no prices so any "order" might just be a piece of paper that says John Smith wants X, Y & Z.

Info will probably be released on some date before early order start (4/4 was mentioned) and then the early order thing kicks in on 4/15. Some of the logisitics still seem missing but that may be by design until we get the final instructions (some others including my dealer have said WE do something on a website somewhere on the 15th).

Here's our link to thread with tentative option list:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=360

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'll know more after tomorrow night when I go talk to my dealer, but on the phone the guy said that basically I put a deposit down for their 1 early Solstice. At that time they will give me a login ID and password. When the order system begins I can then go to the website and option out my Solstice just like I want it. Then a month and a half before the regular production Solsti come out I will receive mine. So official ordering will not take place until the website is up; the deposit is just reserving their alotted car.

So not sure what the time frame is as to when the regular ones will come out, nor do I know anything about how the financing will work. He just said that they can't sell for any more or any less than MSRP. He said that this means GMS discounts do not apply, but he didn't mention the GM Card discount. I am going to ask about this tomorrow and this will be the deal breaker for me.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
simmonsmb said:
I'll know more after tomorrow night when I go talk to my dealer, but on the phone the guy said that basically I put a deposit down for their 1 early Solstice. At that time they will give me a login ID and password. When the order system begins I can then go to the website and option out my Solstice just like I want it. Then a month and a half before the regular production Solsti come out I will receive mine. So official ordering will not take place until the website is up; the deposit is just reserving their alotted car.

So not sure what the time frame is as to when the regular ones will come out, nor do I know anything about how the financing will work. He just said that they can't sell for any more or any less than MSRP. He said that this means GMS discounts do not apply, but he didn't mention the GM Card discount. I am going to ask about this tomorrow and this will be the deal breaker for me.
Possible news in the breaking???

So you're saying that if you get one of the 1000 first cars you supposedly get your car 1.5 months before everyone else???

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Dealers presently do not have access to standard equipment, options, colors or pricing, other than the set base price. This should be forcoming soon but perhaps not until the week of Apr. 4. Bentil, I think your right, if you not one of the first 1000 but still have an early order in you will be part of the normal dealers four month inventory alotment for the Solstice. Which by the way is going to vary greatly from dealer to dealer and from place to place.

·
Registered
284 Posts
brentil said:
Possible news in the breaking???

So you're saying that if you get one of the 1000 first cars you supposedly get your car 1.5 months before everyone else???
That's at least what he said on the phone. One month to one and a half months before the regular production cars come out. Like I said I'll give a full report tomorrow night so hold on tight. :patriot:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did get word from my dealer that the GM card will be honored.

·
Registered
182 Posts
simmonsmb said:
That's at least what he said on the phone. One month to one and a half months before the regular production cars come out. Like I said I'll give a full report tomorrow night so hold on tight. :patriot:
sometyhing does not smell right. they are going to produce 1000 cars and then what idle the line during the summer months only to supply their dealers for the fall? I would think that they would want to pump out as many solstices as possible during the summer months when people could really use them. Also, if they release 1000 and they turn off the supply I suggest buying 5 and then auctioning them off on ebay, that is a perfect recepie for price gouging. If i was GM i would never release 1000 and then stop shipments, you will have thousands of really pissed off people walking over to mazda to buy a mx-5.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Brian said:
sometyhing does not smell right. they are going to produce 1000 cars and then what idle the line during the summer months only to supply their dealers for the fall? I would think that they would want to pump out as many solstices as possible during the summer months when people could really use them. Also, if they release 1000 and they turn off the supply I suggest buying 5 and then auctioning them off on ebay, that is a perfect recepie for price gouging. If i was GM i would never release 1000 and then stop shipments, you will have thousands of really pissed off people walking over to mazda to buy a mx-5.
Agree, doesn't smell right...would be like making the first 1000 customers the test dummies to QA the car? Coming from a dealer source could be BS to get people to bite on early orders.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I spoke to my dealer today. They said that they are still unable to submit an order to GM. No order form/prices/options as of yet.

They are holding my name as the first interested buyer. They will not take a deposit until they are able to submit an order to GM.

I hope this is correct and not that my dealer is not informed........

The Mayor :confused:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
mceb said:
Agree, doesn't smell right...would be like making the first 1000 customers the test dummies to QA the car? Coming from a dealer source could be BS to get people to bite on early orders.

This is straight from the horses mouth, not the dealer. June production for the first 1000 cars, anything orders beyond that the dealer can place against their normal alotment. They won't stop production, just roll right into normal production.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
PAS22 said:
This is straight from the horses mouth, not the dealer. June production for the first 1000 cars, anything orders beyond that the dealer can place against their normal alotment. They won't stop production, just roll right into normal production.
OK makes more sense to just roll into regular production after this first 1000.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The first 1000 probably get shipped off right away, as soon as they're built. However the rest of production might build up for a bit so they can ship out enough cars to get a couple in every dealership. Which could possibly lead to the 1-1.5 month wait. By then too you've got several around the country with people in them for others to see on the roads. Which will help get more people into dealers to buy them.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
See my thread today on June production. I think your right, and I would be willing to bet GM wants the get dealer cars unto the showroom floor for the June 21st promo. That is, if GM can stick to their planned schedules.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts