Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m leaking coolant but cannot find from where. It’s leaking onto the center front cross member and then onto my garage floor. This morning when I left home about a mile away my temp was reading 235, then as I drove it went down little by little until it hit around 190, kinda normal for my Sky for non racing driving. At my destination, I stopped for an hour and when I came out, there was a small pool under my car (maybe 10” in diameter). I drove about a mile down the road to an O’reilly’s and picked up some 50/50 dexcool and topped off my tank. It was about ¾ inch under the full line, and then drove back home (about 18 miles). When I arrived home I again checked the tank that I had previously topped off; again, it was down about ¾ of an inch under the full mark.

I drove it onto my rhinos and crawled under. No leaks, just some residue of coolant on the front cross member and the oil pan.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Is probably your water pump. They are covered under the 5 years 100k miles power train warranty.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
:agree:

Search waterpump on the forum. Read all the details. If it is the waterpump, have a detailed discussion with the service manager about the intricacies of the replacement procedure.

Then prepare to be pi$$ed off when they screw it up anyway.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Solved…

I dropped it off at dealer No 2 this morning (my preferred dealer, but not close to where the issue occurred) and they just called me (I had printed out the GM 5yr/100k power train warranty criteria to be forearmed). He told me it was the water pump and … wait for it… “it’s covered under your power train warranty”.. ahh, the bloke stole my thunder! Dang it, no arguing!

They didn’t have one in stock, but said they get one from the local warehouse and have it completed tonight.

The first dealer, near my home, said “could not replicate problem”… WTH, how can you not replicate a pool of coolant forming under my car?

Bottom line, as many of you thought, it was the water pump.

So thanks and thanks for the info on the 5yr/100k warranty, I hit the 5 year next month.

SP

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
As an interesting aside, the same water pump can be procured inside GM using at least three different part numbers. One Pontiac, one Saturn and one GM. To the best of my knowledge they are all the same physical hardware but each has a different cost with the GM generic part number being the least costly.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So I picked up the Sky last night, in-n-out in 5 minutes. I was really interested in how they would determine the WP was bad, since it seemed to work sproadically.

They pressure tested the system and confirmed it was bad. So they replaced it and I'm on my way. I guess sometimes things do work out without a fight.

They didn't drive it either, but did seem to consume a couple of gallons of gas; my average MPG usually shows 27.6 and when I picked it up it was showing 25.4.

Still, it's fixed and no moolah out of my pocket.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Indeed - congratulations! Like Rob said, they probably let it run for a decent spell to make sure it wasn't leaking. Back to ripping up the roads!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts