Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just found an 07 2.4 71,000 miles for $4,000. All seems to be good except the E-Brake needs to be fixed, the front bumper underneath is a little ripped up but it's really under so a cheap fix isn't the end of the world and this:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZHDZv1tBuSsnbhSQ7

rear passenger quarter panel and bumper scraped. It's a little old lady who owns it (no really). She has a pretty wonky driveway and she was backing out and scraped the side. The carfax checks out pretty good and it seems to be pretty clean otherwise. Any advice on if I should pick this up or walk would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
The E-brake is a relatively simple DIY fix... it happens a lot and is generally that the pistons have seized in the rear calipers. They just need to be turned back into the caliper cylinders - just like you were doing a brake job - and you'll be golden.

The bodywork, however, is a pro job and will cost you - probably a coupla grand. Up to you whether the car is worth that extra $$, or you cover the bare metal and live with the ugly.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Walk away...that 1/4 panel repair is an easy $2500. You can find a car in much better shape for that price. Don't be in a rush, you'll find something!! You can find something in the $5000 range that won't have that body damage...

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I do like that color... have you driven both a GXP and a base model?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do like that color... have you driven both a GXP and a base model?
I have. I definitely like the GXP better but if the deal was right I wouldn't say no to a base model. I'm just wondering if that price with the mileage is a good deal for that car. I'm thinking if I spend 5k on something that will need some work I may get close to the 10-12k price point rather quickly. A 2009 with all options and 40k miles seems like it would be relatively hassle free aside from the maintenance.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
That one is in the ball park. Remember...a waterpump job is probably in the future in the next 20k miles. Look at the rockers on it and the nose and see how many rock chips are on it. The PO of mine had to have lived on a dirt road. My rockers around the rear door jamb are awful. Of course I think the 2nd owner had it repoed... Honestly you could negotiate a bit with them. Start low at 11k and see where it goes. You wont be disappointed with a GXP!!! A lot more power then the NAs you were looking at! What state are you in?

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Remember too...no matter which way you go...make sure ALL fluids have been changed. Brake, steering, coolant, transmission, diff and oil. That'll run you about $1500....and should have been done at least once on any of these cars you're looking at...

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
I dunno, I think that's a good price for the 4K one, and would think a good body shop would be able pull that dent out. Though I always think its a crapshoot when it come to bodyshops being able to color match. FWIW, there are still plenty of Solstices for sale so don't think you have to settle for the first car you come across.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Take it for a drive and seal the deal!!! $11250 is an awesome price!!! Especially for an '09.

EDIT: I'm looking at it a little more. Make sure there is no lien holder on the title and if there is, make sure they have a lien payoff notice from their bank. Without that, walk away. The clearcoat issue is also going to cost a bit of money...($500+) to have it fixed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I am definitely torn between the two. No lien issue on the '09 gxp (Carfax confirmed) and the 07 base is getting a body shop to fix the scrape if I pay the $5k asking price. Ugh! Not sure what direction to go.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
What did your girlfriends dad have...a GXP or a normally aspirated? Cause if you fell in love with the GXP, don't get an NA. You'll regret your purchase. The power difference is extreme!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What did your girlfriends dad have...a GXP or a normally aspirated? Cause if you fell in love with the GXP, don't get an NA. You'll regret your purchase. The power difference is extreme!
He had an NA, and you're not kidding about the power difference! It's really not a huge deal for me as the looks/cruising factor is the most important part for me. I'm seriously right down the middle here. For $5k I would get a red N/A with no real extra options & 71K miles. The only immediate thing I would do would be upgrade the stereo and MAYBE down the line an exhaust & tune. Any replacement parts (struts, clutch, air filter) would be upgrades when needed but most likely I would just use this as an intro to the car and something to enjoy the drive.

The turbo for $11,250 I wouldn't really have to do anything at all except maintenance but it would be the absolute roof of my spending ability. It also has the traction control (which would probably come in handy when I decide to drive it in the winter in New England), fancy roof liner and ABS. I'm just wondering if the extra 6k is worth it.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
A tune wont do a whole lot for an NA car. You might add 10hp...but it's not a big thing on an NA. Where a GXP it will really wake it up if it's not tuned already.

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
... The only immediate thing I would do would be upgrade the stereo and MAYBE down the line an exhaust & tune. ...
there you have it. You have been bitten. You already want to tune the car. Therefore, you want a GXP. As stated, a tune on a NA car is not worth the money.

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
I am definitely torn between the two. No lien issue on the '09 gxp (Carfax confirmed) and the 07 base is getting a body shop to fix the scrape if I pay the $5k asking price. Ugh! Not sure what direction to go.
If you truly are torn after driving both I would go for the NA. But take the tune off of your wish list.

Maintenance on the turbo could end up being several thousand dollars more than the NA over the next couple of years because the water pump and fuel pump are both more likely to fail in it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts