Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would spend a nice Sunday working on the money bucket.
I read up and thought I bought Ac Delco factory plugs from local parts store.
The factory plugs looked really over heated,and seemed like a quick change.
70,000 miles on the ticker.The Ac Delco replacements were the same,except for the longer number was different.
Ive gapped them at 30,and up,and down.Skip,skip,skip.Tried to put the originals back in,and it still skips.WTH could I have done?
I have spent my whole day trying to get it to smooth out.Are the plug really
that finicky?Should I hit up the dealership for pregapped stockers?
Im really stumped,and tired of taking these plugs in/out.
Thanks to anyone with some experience on this,as Im really considering
putting this car in the witness relocation program.Every damn thing has to be
a fight?:leaving:

·
Registered
428 Posts
I thought I would spend a nice Sunday working on the money bucket.
I read up and thought I bought Ac Delco factory plugs from local parts store.
The factory plugs looked really over heated,and seemed like a quick change.
70,000 miles on the ticker.The Ac Delco replacements were the same,except for the longer number was different.
Ive gapped them at 30,and up,and down.Skip,skip,skip.Tried to put the originals back in,and it still skips.WTH could I have done?
I have spent my whole day trying to get it to smooth out.Are the plug really
that finicky?Should I hit up the dealership for pregapped stockers?
Im really stumped,and tired of taking these plugs in/out.
Thanks to anyone with some experience on this,as Im really considering
putting this car in the witness relocation program.Every damn thing has to be
a fight?:leaving:
Be more specific in your cars symptoms. Is your car stock? Do you have a tune? Did you install AC Delco 41-108's? My tech told me to make sure you squirt a little dielectric grease inside the ends of the coil packs to ensure a good seal and connection. The factory recommended gap is .035. Do you get a CEL? You may want to run a scan to see if you have any codes or misfires without a CEL. I found out I had a bad coil pack. My car would accelerate fine until I really stepped on the gas and then the car would bog. I had a CEL and the dealer plugged in their Tech II and found a misfire in cylinder #2. The tech (Lee the BEST!!) switched #2 and #3 coil packs and grove the car again. He scanned for codes and now I had a misfire in cylinder #3. I replaced the coil pack and the car runs fine. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I have been using the stock, pregapped plugs at 035. This should work for most fairly stock vehicles. I would put those in and troubleshoot from that point as described above.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Weird that the ones that were in there before and not "skipping" are now skipping. Leads me to believe you are installing incorrectly. Did you unplug the coil packs? Did you plug them back in properly? Did you use the same coil pack for each cylinder as you did before?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cars stock,except for a trifecta tune,and hahn intercooler.I did
buy the AC Delco 41-108's.Gapped at 30,but will go back out and try
35. Thanks guys for your replys.I did replace every thing as it came off.
The stock plugs that came out were yellowed up,and the gaps were
definitely not the same.Ive changed plugs in about everything Ive driven,
but this one stumps me.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I bought a pack of 8 41-108s and all of mine were gapped at .028
On 93 Octane i had issues at high rpms with a larger gap
I need to keep mine gapped at .028 with my 2871 on 93 Octane.

With E47 i gap to .035 but still run 41-108s
My car does not like colder plugs

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was a bad coil pack on #1.The dealer thought I had purchased
bad plugs,but later called and told me they had to replace a c/p.
Im glad they got me in and out,and thanks to all you guys for your
help :thumbs:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Interesting the coil pack went bad right when you did the plugs.

On the dialectric grease recommendation, it's fine to use for sealing, but really should not be on the conductive connectors except for a very light amount as it's NON CONDUCTIVE grease. I've seen it misapplied many times. It helps seal conductive connections and makes removal easier, prevents arcing, etc, but you get much of it at all on the metal to metal connectors and it can cause problems.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting the coil pack went bad right when you did the plugs.

On the dialectric grease recommendation, it's fine to use for sealing, but really should not be on the conductive connectors as it's NON CONDUCTIVE grease. I've seen it misapplied many times. It helps seal conductive connections and makes removal easier.
Don't know what would have caused it? Bought plugs,gapped,installed,ran like crap.I guess I needed a couple of years at Pontiac College to justify attempting
a high risk move like changing plugs.
Like everything else,a piece of cake :yawn:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Don't know what would have caused it? Bought plugs,gapped,installed,ran like crap.I guess I needed a couple of years at Pontiac College to justify attempting
a high risk move like changing plugs.
Like everything else,a piece of cake :yawn:
I hear ya, I'll be attempting our first oil change here before too long, read up on the procedure, bought the little socket for removal, so it should be a very simple task.........:lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts