Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear from people who have these rims. I don't care about ride quality, or wet weather. I just want traction,mostly strait line. The front rims are 9.5 x 19. When I got them they had 255 Goodyear eagles, they were to narrow and the rims would get scratched by curbs. The rears had 275 Goodyear eagles, which didn't hook up very well. I got some 275/ 295 bridgestone potenza. They had a tread wear rating of 140. I thought that meant they are sticky, they are not. I saw a lot of people at the nationals with these rims. I would like some feed back from them. I plan on going with 285-30-19 on the fronts this time. According to many tire manufactures web sites, I can put a 305-30-19 on my 10.5 rims. Although, most manufactures recommend an 11 inch rim. They say they will fit on 10, or, 10.5 inch rims. I am wondering if putting 305's on a 10.5 inch rim will have a negative impact on straight line performance.

As you can see, the fronts could be wider.

The rear look good, but, could be wider.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Now that my thread is back, I would like feed back on stickier tires.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
For straight line performance on the street a drag radial is going to give the best grip. Unfortunately you will have the same problem I have, that is finding one to fit a 19in wheel.

As far as I know there are only two choices. The Nitto NT05R 305/35 19 and the Mickey Thompson 305/35 19. Recommended wheel width is 10-12in. So either should fit. I have a couple of friends who have used the Nittos, with good results, on their Vettes.

I dont have room enough to go wider than a 285 due to the offset of my CCW wheels so, for me, a drag radial isnt going to happen.

- Shawn

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been thinking of drag radials. I was hoping there were other options. What are the draw backs? How long will they last, assuming normal driving, 10K? How will they handle? Are they OK for the track? What tires should run on the front?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anybody tried Michelin Pilot Sport Cup+ / N-Spec? They have tread wear rating of 80.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
DR`s are only going to be good for straight line. For serious track use the sidewalls are too soft. Thats coming straight from a Corvette owner who tried it. At that time he was running Falken RT 615`s on the front. If you go with DR on the rear any decent performance tire will work up front. Between the Nitto and MT, the MT has the more aggressive compound.

He has since gone to the Nitto NT05`s all around and is quite happy with their performance. Figures he will be lucky to get 10K miles out of them. Again, the sizes in 19in are limited. I will be looking at similar extreme performance summer tire as a replacement for my ContiSports soon.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
NTO5R for a straight drag lane use

NTO5 for overall use sticky tire. Drag strip (not as sticky compared to the R)....but great at the track.....and streets...
when I was using them on the streets before, I love mine. Will probably be good 5-8k miles if you burn rubber on every stop light :) But if you're a "regular" spirited driver, 10-15k might be achievable.

Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 will also be similar in performance and might be better during summer

19s are really hard to match for what I think you're looking for. You'll have very limited choices.

That's why I like the 18s better

good luck

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
18 x 10 wheels 295/35/18 NT05
this is how they look on the car

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for input. Its nice to see Rick briefly back on the forum, he always had good info, was that Rick loading your car?
I'm currently leaning towards 305-30-19 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup+ on the rear and 285-30-19 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 on the front. the Sport Cup+ tread wear rating of 80., and the PS2's have tread wear rating of 220. The rears would be replaced yearly, the front every 2 years?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Jim I just pmed u a wrong info

I tried to send a new info but your inbox is full

Anyways, that photo is not Rick. It's jus an aaa guy.

I thought I posted a photo of Rick loading my car that same weekend when he loaded my car to be brought to his home for more work and tuning.

Rick aka BTF (baldturbofreak) is a bald mean looking ex body builder guy not like that guy on the photo with a big beer belly :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have decided to get sport cups all the way around. I went to Costco to order them. Of course they refused to put them on my car. They can get me the 305-30's, but, the 285-30 sports cups are only available in zero pressure, the same thing for the PS-2's. 285-35 sport cups are available. I am worried about fitment issues, and having larger tires in the front. I am wondering if I should perhaps go this route. If I decide to go sport cups, would it hurt to have ZP's in front?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FYI
305-30-19 285-30-19 do fit with no clearance problems on werks/CCW rims, at stock height. I got the sport cups all the way around with the ZP's in front. Its cold and wet, so don't know well they will perform.

·
Registered
676 Posts
you need SMALLER diameter wheels and LARGER sidewalls on the drag radials.

If you want straight line performance, smallest wheel possible that clears your brakes, widest that will fit under the car, and the biggest sidewall you can cram in there.

45/50 sidewalls work great on the supra with low boost at 700. Granted I can get a 325x45x17.. 11"wide wheel under my car. I would think a 275 40 16 would be a close fit well under a sol. That would hook up awesome on the street and on the track as well.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Miller I know, I love my CCW rims. If had it to do over I would not have gotten them, I'm just trying make the best out of what I have. These should work, I hope.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts