Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

My new 2008 Solstice GXP "Perfection Project" has revealed that I need this simple clip. Does anyone know where I can get one? Maybe someone is parting out a Solstice? Maybe I can order the part, but would need the part number of this clip.

The clip is used to attach a coil spring to each of these convertible top decorative flipper doors to hold them shut when the convertible top is down.

Here is the clip itself. I took the picture of the clip from the other flipper door. The hole in the clip is a "D" hole which attaches the spring-loaded "D" shaft to mate together. I assume I will have to wind up the shaft and hold it tight while installing the clip.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,192 Posts
Hi All,

My new 2008 Solstice GXP "Perfection Project" has revealed that I need this simple clip. Does anyone know where I can get one? Maybe someone is parting out a Solstice? Maybe I can order the part, but would need the part number of this clip.

The clip is used to attach a coil spring to each of these convertible top decorative flipper doors to hold them shut when the convertible top is down.

Here is the clip itself. I took the picture of the clip from the other flipper door. The hole in the clip is a "D" hole which attaches the spring-loaded shaft to the clip. I assume I will have to wind up the shaft and hold it tight while installing the clip.

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=389564&ukey_make=1030&ukey_model=14651&modelYear=2008&ukey_category=19550

This ought to get you a part number.

Them google will be your friend.

:dunno:

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Might want to try a local auto parts store if you haven't already. Sometimes they have "assortments" or similar clips that may work.

Then again, you might be paying $19.99 for a bag of 10 clips that has only one of what you actually need . . . .

·
Super Moderator
15,937 Posts
I bought three used tulip panels with hardware and flaps so I would have spares for our club members. The hinge pins were on the order of $40 when you could still source them. Most of those hinge parts are unavailable from all the sources I use. Someday I am going to enlist CW to build printable drawings so I can make them in nylon or carbon fiber on my printer. But I don't want to interrupt him right now because I am trying to get him to agree to finish a printable drawing for the Sky fender rubber bumper.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/index172.html#post1884097

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/index173.html#post1887817

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/index181.html#post1972985

·
Premium Member
10,281 Posts
I thought someone here a long time ago use fishing waits to fix the problem.

·
Registered
885 Posts
does that have a horseshoe (u-shaped) opening on the top side that slips under the end of the cable/spring?

Bill

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
does that have a horseshoe (u-shaped) opening on the top side that slips under the end of the cable/spring?

Bill
The clip is on the other hinge point of the flapper door, not related to the cable hinge point.

You call it a house shoe, I call it a "D". The spring loaded shaft has a notch in it much like the capital letter "D", as does the hole in the special little 10 cent/$20.16 clip. Neither my picture nor the diagram shows it, but it is there. It is very specific. Something generic at an auto parts or home improvement store won't substitute.

It sure looks challenging to assemble it properly so the spring holds the flapper door down at the right time and with the right tension.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As Gomer Pile would say "SHAZZAM!". There is a $11.95 shipping charge to go with it for a total of $32.11 for that 10 cent part. I will try ordering it from my local GM Chevy dealer.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,192 Posts
As Gomer Pile would say "SHAZZAM!". There is a $11.95 shipping charge to go with it for a total of $32.11 for that 10 cent part. I will try ordering it from my local GM Chevy dealer.
Do they actually have the clip? Several other GM parts places are showing it as "No Longer Available" (which is why I said to google the part number).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do they actually have the clip? Several other GM parts places are showing it as "No Longer Available" (which is why I said to google the part number).
I will find out tomorrow when I call my local Chevy dealer, if GM still offers it. If not, I will definite "google" around and see if I can find it at a reasonable price.....will do so tonight if I have time for it.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,192 Posts
I will find out tomorrow when I call my local Chevy dealer, if GM still offers it. If not, I will definite "google" around and see if I can find it at a reasonable price.....will do so tonight if I have time for it.
For what it's worth, I didn't find it anywhere, nor did I find any suggested replacements.

YMMV

Good luck.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For what it's worth, I didn't find it anywhere, nor did I find any suggested replacements.

YMMV

Good luck.

I looked around too. Maybe $32.11 will end up being a bargain. Before I order one, I will see if the other is steel (magnetic pick-up) and fish around inside with a magnet on a telescoping stick. Maybe I will get real lucky and catch the fish.

·
Registered
885 Posts
i was going to suggest modifying a J-clip, but apparently I don't have a good understanding of what the part looks like as I do not have a convertible

Bill

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,192 Posts
I looked around too. Maybe $32.11 will end up being a bargain. Before I order one, I will see if the other is steel (magnetic pick-up) and fish around inside with a magnet on a telescoping stick. Maybe I will get real lucky and catch the fish.
Just because they show it doesn't mean that they actually have it in stock. Call them on the phone and ask them to look and verify that they have it before placing an order. Many of use use that site because of the drawings they have available and the part number listings. but they are just another GM dealership parts department which does a fairly large internet business.

I was going to suggest a magnetic pick up tool.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Just turn the car over and shake it.

But seriously folks, can anybody get a very close - closeup of it? We might be able to find something close enough to be modified or an alternate that would work.

I say so because it would be highly unusual, though not impossible, that GM tooled up a special clip 2/vehicle for a limited platform like the Kappa.

·
Super Moderator
15,937 Posts
OK I pulled out one of my new in the box flaps and one of my spare tulip panels and figured out how the flap mounts with pictures.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 111 Posts