·
Super Moderator
15,933 Posts
More pics of the flap

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,933 Posts
The new flap comes with the metal tabs installed on each end. These mate with the hinge pins that are mounted to the tulip panel structural part. This is a metal formed piece that is glued to the bottom surface of the tulip panel

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,933 Posts
the longer hinge pin, the outside pin that also mounts the return spring is held in place with a small snap ring. Once you get the snap ring removed, the pin will slide out along with the spring. Then the flap will rotate to the rear and upward and slide out of the inside hinge mechanism.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,933 Posts
The parts that are removable are replaceable and in the past were stocked. The return spring, the long hinge pin and snap ring. When I got my first spare tulip panel I went looking for the individual parts and found them both EXPENSIVE and mostly unavailable. I have a couple of spare springs but the hinge pin and snap ring were unavailable last year from the sources I looked at. Then the pin carried a price of $26 if my memory has not abandoned me.

The new flap comes with the metal hinge point reinforcement pieces already installed. I don't think they are replaceable. They could be made but I have not found any parts

If CW wants to search for another source I am happy to loan him the parts to aide in his search. He could pull his own flap but I would not want to have to lay down in the trunk and work upside down to get them put back in place >:)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,933 Posts
I am going to ship a flap and the structural parts to CW and he is going to see about finding replacements or maybe we can print the long hinge pin in nylon. will see

·
Super Moderator
15,933 Posts
the only way you can get that part off is to remove the hinge pin and remove the flap, then overcome the friction fit to pull it off the flap tab, or to just break the flap tab by forcing the flap off the in place hinge pin. If you do that, then you have also damaged the flap tab because it has a hole in it not a slot so the hinge pin only comes out by sliding out of the hole

At some point I would like to be able to print the flap. If we did it in ABS we could then treat it chemically to get a smooth finish and once painted they should look very good. These flaps are over $100 now if you can find one and soon they will be unavailable. Having a replacement will be very good

·
Super Moderator
15,933 Posts
I am going to mail you the metal structure that mounts to the bottom of the tulip panel, a flap and all the hardware that mates the two. That way you can hopefully figure out replacements for the small parts and make models of the flap and hinges so I can test print them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
spring retaining clip

I looked around too. Maybe $32.11 will end up being a bargain. Before I order one, I will see if the other is steel (magnetic pick-up) and fish around inside with a magnet on a telescoping stick. Maybe I will get real lucky and catch the fish.
What does this clip look like? May be possible to fabricate one. If you have all of the broken pieces, it may very well be possible to duplicate it as to function. I have replicated things like this in times past for little or nothing. I have an 09 GXP.

grandpop07

·
Super Moderator
15,933 Posts
I posted pictures. Look at them

It has a hole in it and reinforces the molded tab on the flap one side is round. The side that mates with the spring is flat on the top and mates with the spring loaded shaft

·
Super Moderator
15,933 Posts
So we're talking about this guy, right?

If so, we can do something. I have sources that print metal.
There are two of them. One is round. The other end is D shaped and driven by the spring loaded shaft. Both are in the mail to you now

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Hi rob the elder,

My apologies for not replying sooner. I didn't have my "instant" notifier box checked. It is checked now, done by me manually. Anyway, I thank you so much for all the detailed pictures.

I fished around with a magnetic pick-up tool with no luck. I tried to remove the large panel with netted storage pocket behind the driver seat but I could not figure it out. The rear pillar panel with the speaker seemed to require removal first but that panel was not budging. I don't want to break anything. What is the trick to removing the big panel with storage pocket? If I can remove the panel, I just might find that dang special clip. If not, I will have to purchase the $31 clip from that one website.....assuming they still have them in-stock.

Looking at the entire silver assembly (Do you call it a tulip?) with two flapper doors, I counted 8 rear-facing screw-heads. If I remove those 8 screws and disconnect the two cables, will that long silver assembly come off with ease?

One other question. What does the cable do for each flapper door? I can't make sense as to their purpose.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Ron Dittmer

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,192 Posts
One other question. What does the cable do for each flapper door? I can't make sense as to their purpose.
As the top is pulled up out of the trunk, the cables tighten and pull the flaps up and open, which creates the space needed by the support structure for the top in the raised position. As the top is put down into the trunk, the cables loosen, allowing the flaps to close, hiding the space where the top support beams were when the top was up.

Rob will answer your questions about removing the interior panels behind the seats, as he has done this many times, and has the proper panel tools for this operation. Right?

HTH.

:thumbs:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,192 Posts
If not, I will have to purchase the $31 clip from that one website.....assuming they still have them in-stock.
I suspect that since the part is listed as "No longer available" and "discontinued" by other GM parts places, that the one web site I used will also no longer be able to supply them.

YMMV

:thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
15,933 Posts
The only source for these clips that I know of would be to purchase a flap. Check with Hoosier and see if he has a broken flap around that he will part with. The flaps come with the clips already mounted.

The back panel inside the car comes out easily. Its only held in with clips. But there is a metal structural panel behind the plastic and its more likely that the clip if it came off would have fallen into the trunk area.

To remove the rear panel, grab the inside bottom edge of the door sill. Pull up firmly and it will come up and out of the car. It is held in with reusable metal clips. Just keep pulling up and it will pop out.

The corner trim piece, with the speaker, also pulls out and away from the car. Use some care because there is a cable connected to the speaker. There is plenty of length to allow getting the corner panel off. I generally start at the bottom and jerk on it till the clips start coming free, then work my way up.

BEFORE you remove the corner panel, carefully inspect the slot where the seatbelt comes through the panel. The corner panel interlocks with the back panel at the seatbelt slot so you can get the seat belt free. When you put it back together, you will need to make sure the corner and the back panels weave together.

The back panel comes off the same way. Its held in with clips. Put the seats all the way forward, and the panel will pull off. You can lift it out of the car once you have both sides removed first. Or you can just pull off the side you are searching and see if you find the clip.

21 - 40 of 111 Posts