Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Came in today. Way too stiff because I had to thicken it up in order to print successfully. I'm going to grind it down to thin it up.

Ron - PM me your address and I'll get it sent out tomorrow.

Turned out pretty sweet though!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,890 Posts
Came in today. Way too stiff because I had to thicken it up in order to print successfully. I'm going to grind it down to thin it up.

Ron - PM me your address and I'll get it sent out tomorrow.

Turned out pretty sweet though!
I shipped him one of mine. He is going to pay you for the replacement which you can ship to me. >:)

I can test fit it on the donor flap to test function.

If it works as I think it will, then I will order ten as spares.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Ground the "base" down to let it flex. I think it's going to be a winner. Might try to modify the CAD model and see if they can print it that way.

Will also try to get around to modeling the tulip panel itself. I've been kicking a few ideas around on how I can get the geometry reproduced and have some ideas.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Sorry for the late reply...worked late today.

Yes, yes, yes, Rob sent me one of his clips, due here tomorrow. Chickenwire, please PM me your Paypal (or other preferred method) and I will make my payment. Please ship your clip instead to Rob The Elder.

Thank you both, you two are awesome members helping me out like this. I so appreciate both your efforts.

Ron Dittmer

·
Premium Member
17,890 Posts
Ground the "base" down to let it flex. I think it's going to be a winner. Might try to modify the CAD model and see if they can print it that way.

Will also try to get around to modeling the tulip panel itself. I've been kicking a few ideas around on how I can get the geometry reproduced and have some ideas.
I'm thinking that the clip could be glued to the flap and do the job. It does not have to be a friction fit. As long as it stay oriented so the flat side is "up" it will time the flap to the spring.

·
Premium Member
17,890 Posts
Cool Looking forward to all the fun that will result from your work. :)

Did you test fit it on the flap I sent you?

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Cool Looking forward to all the fun that will result from your work. :)

Did you test fit it on the flap I sent you?
Didn't push it all the way on, but it was starting fine and didn't seem to be putting up too much resistance.

I'm leaving the other one at the original printed thickness for you to experiment.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
Hallelujah!

My clip from Rob The Elder is in, the tulip door is on and adjusted right, and the door has spring tension. It looks and works perfectly now.

What a Rubik's Cube of a project assembling it the first time or should I say the 4th try. What really made the installation possible for me was to have the interior back wall and rear door pillars out of the car which gave me additional access to the work area from the front.

I eventually concluded the last step was installing the coil spring. Put it into position without tension and clip the long arm of it into the retention point. Then close the tulip door, and wind the back side of the spring 1/4 turn in the proper direction until it clicks into the back side of the hinge pin.

I did have to do one unique thing that is non-standard, but it worked out perfectly. Even after the hinge pins were adjusted properly, my tulip door still had some play between hinge pins which looked sloppy at times pending which hinge pin it favored. To look good all the time, the tulip door had to stay tight to the inner hinge pin with cable. So I added a bushing made of 3/16" ID, 5/16" OD clear tubing, cut less than 1/4" long and placed it over the spring-loaded hinge pin to fill the gap between the clip and the shoulder of the hinge pin. Since the assembly all pivots together, there is no concern of resistance from the tubing. It simply filled in the gap beautifully, keeping the door in proper position all the time.

The car is back together, ready for it's visit to the dealer to reprogram the FOBS & TPS system after a battery disconnect. I am getting excited.....fun times are at hand.

Thanks again Rob for that critical clip. I await to hear from chickenwire for payment due.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Yeah, well keep waiting. For a few bucks apiece it was actually more valuable for R&D to me (and my employer) as it's the first time I've had something printed in SS. From there I have a work-related piece currently at the printer and possibly 2 more.

If Rob wants to order the 10 he mentioned then $$ will change hands. Otherwise we'll call it good!

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
I haven't been paying attention to this thread, but does anyone plan on offering these to the forum? If so, I'm interested. Even though I've kept my SL hardtop on since I bought it, I know this is one of those item that will eventually fail and it would be a good idea to have a couple on hand.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I would think these would be made available, at least "at cost". I'll send the clips I have to Rob today for his evaluation and possible revisions.

Let me see if I can get the tulip panel itself modeled in the next week or so. I know we're going to have to test print a few before we get it right, but after that it should be pretty much "print and go"!

·
Premium Member
17,890 Posts
Yes, this is a not for profit enterprise to help fellow owners. I have a basement full of parts I supply on a you get the part for free but you need to replace it for the next guy. That prevents people from sitting around waiting on parts and keeps them available long term. The ones that we can make become much easier because its then just the cost of filament and mailing.

·
Premium Member
17,890 Posts
Did a test fit of the clip. It fits the flap perfectly but the hole is slightly too small.

I tried to measure it but I am not getting consistent results from my cheap ass calipers

I looked at a large scale picture and the printed clip appears to be out of round. The top to bottom height is very close but it is not round. the sides are pulled in just enough to stop the pin from mating with the hole. My guess is it needs to be just a hair larger top to bottom and wider on the sides to compensate for not printing round.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I'm a dumbass - I should have measured before I sent them out to you so I could tweak dimensions before printing additional.

Even with your CAC (cheap ass calipers) can you tell me what you get measuring the pin versus the hole? If you can give me the delta I can adjust the model accordingly and get a few more printed for testing.

Glad the gap distance worked okay. I thought it would based upon checking it on your tulip panel you sent but didn't push it all the way on, well because if it didn't fit that would be an abuse of your components you entrusted to me. lol!

·
Premium Member
17,890 Posts
I'm a dumbass - I should have measured before I sent them out to you so I could tweak dimensions before printing additional.

Even with your CAC (cheap ass calipers) can you tell me what you get measuring the pin versus the hole? If you can give me the delta I can adjust the model accordingly and get a few more printed for testing.

Glad the gap distance worked okay. I thought it would based upon checking it on your tulip panel you sent but didn't push it all the way on, well because if it didn't fit that would be an abuse of your components you entrusted to me. lol!
The clip fit is very good. I have had it on and off three times. (maybe once backwards but we don't need to talk about that)

The issue I am having is when I measure the inside dimension I get one number but when I measure the outside dimension I get a different number. They don't close. The two sides of the caliper are not in alignment. I will give you what I can get. I have ordered a more reliable caliper and should have it in a couple of days.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WSOU772/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I get home I will send you what I get as long as you realize its not a set of measurements that close. >:)

Did I send you the pin? I cant remember.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts