Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
The issue I am having is when I measure the inside dimension I get one number but when I measure the outside dimension I get a different number. They don't close. The two sides of the caliper are not in alignment.
Might I suggest that you measure the outside diameter of the pin, and then outside width of the clip with the calipers you have? Then Mr.Chicken can use that ratio to determine the required hole.

·
Premium Member
17,886 Posts
I measured four pins. The largest dimension came out at .200 max width and .161 on the flat side.

the clip at its widest point, the top is .301 for one and.305 for the second one

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
So are we talking axial misalignment? One side of the clip versus the other? Or one side of the clip, in relation to the hole in the tulip lug, and in relation to the other side of the clip?

I designed the clip with an identical "through cut" of the D shape - but that doesn't mean the printing process was dead on. Rob - you sent me the pin, but now I have the pin and you have the clips I had printed! lol - we'll sort this out.

Can't wait until we try to print the actual tulip panel out . . . lol!

·
Premium Member
17,886 Posts
The through hole is fine. Alignment is fine. The flap surface is curved and one leg of the clip is longer than the other. So it needs to go on with the shorter leg to the inside

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
The through hole is fine. Alignment is fine. The flap surface is curved and one leg of the clip is longer than the other. So it needs to go on with the shorter leg to the inside

I guess I went full on "Chinese replication" and made my model exactly as the original - which included the difference in leg length needed for stamping and forming the clip rather than just the functional requirements.

So if I make both legs the same we're good, right?

·
Premium Member
17,886 Posts
The legs are fine as they are. The problem is the hole is too small. The pin will not go through the hole.

If you leave the legs as they are, the clip fits one side in and one side out which is perfect.

The hole when printed is slightly too narrow around the curved circumference. It looks like the distance from the flat side to the top is probably ok. If you make the curved portion of the hole through the clip a bit wider it should be good to go.

I could easily take a file and enlarge the hole to fit the pin, but I think your objective is to have it fit without any modification.

·
Premium Member
17,886 Posts
Got the new caliper

pin is .197 inches in diameter and .159 deep on the flat

The clip is .197 wide side to side. And its .157 top to bottom on the flat.

So the hole needs to be enlarged.

·
Premium Member
17,886 Posts
The first version of the flap articulating arms / clips unfortunately failed when tested. We have modified the design to double the thickness of the stressed side of the arm and have 5 sets available for testing.

They are free to the first five who ask for them. If they survive and solve the problem, then you can make a voluntary payment so I can print more and make them available.

IM me if you want a set. (left and right)

Blue Wood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Font

·
Registered
'07 Base - Lil' Red Devil and ‘07 GXP - unnamed
137 Posts
Yes sir. I have new flaps coming but the hardware is missing from the old one that is broken. Need the passenger side only.

101 - 120 of 122 Posts