Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Need to replace the water pump... time to walk away?

8K views 41 replies 17 participants last post by  ba92 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: I called around to a few Chevy/ Buick dealers and I'm getting quotes for about $1,300 for total repair of the water pump so I am feeling much better than I was when I originally posted this. Thanks everyone for your help.

_

Hey everyone,

I am really devastated by the news I just got that I need to replace the water pump and it'll cost $2,000. I also need new tires and new set of struts coming up. I'm sorry if this post isn't meant to be here, or ridiculous, but I am heartbroken. I just passed my 1 year anniversary with my solstice and owning this car has meant the world to me.

Has anyone been through needing the water pump replaced? To me, I really struggle putting $2,000 (and then $1,200 on the other projects needed) into a car I paid $7,000 for and probably will get $6-$7k back for it. I just feel like it makes most sense to sell it and walk away rather than start dumping more money into it than it's worth.

I guess I am just looking for any wisdom or advice on this. I don't have family in my life so just feeling really alone and struggling and I figured it'd be great to reach out to you all. I live in Connecticut for any recommendations to ships or if you're local to help.

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey handsome. I think you should ignore what you paid for the car and just bite the bullet. 'Cost of doing business'. These cars bring us so much joy. What are you going to do if you sell it? It will be just one of the great things gone in your life. I knew that buying mine, last September at a great price too, might bring more costs down the road, but it is worth it to me. Keep it! Hang in there.

#7 ·
I was always planning on eventally getting a Saturn sky after the solstice. Probably in about 2-3 years. So now to be putting almost probably $3,000 in projects for a solstice that's in average cosmetic condition with almost 100k miles that I was planning on possibly selling in the coming few years just doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Just trying to be smart with my money and not let my attachment empty my wallet

#8 ·
I wasn't planning on keeping my solstice for a lifetime. It has cosmetic flaws when I bought it and now I need to put $3,000 into projects to upkeep it, im failing to feel it's worth it. I'd rather get $4-5K maybe for it, and save the $3K I was planning on putting into it and putting all of that towards a nicer Saturn sky.

So idk what to do but I'm devastated and really conflicted.

#4 ·
The water pump and the high pressure fuel pump are the main two weaknesses in the car so, unless you know of something else, there is a good chance that this will be your only major expenditure. Of ocurse any used car can have failures, so there are no guarantees.

How certain are you that the shocks are bad? Are you actually having a problem?

Tires are a fact of life with any car, ut you do have sme control over how much you spend for them.

#12 ·
This comment honestly changed my perspective a bit. To think if I just get over this larger hump, I may luckily not need another major fix in the future (fingers crossed). So thank yoi

I was told 14 months ago when I bought the car I need to focus on the struts. Then, I was told January of this year when I had my car looked at to have them fixed in the Spring of this year, but with covid I havn't been driving much, so I may hold off tires and struts to the fall. My tires will be as smooth as computer paper by then but the bigger issue needs to get situated.

#13 ·
I am unfortunately not the person. I wish I could do it. I even need to replace my radio because the aux port broke so I need that fixed too, but I am too afraid to mess anything up. Trust me, I am cheap as hell and would do this stuff if I even had an ounce of a clue of that to do

#6 ·
$2000 for the wp is a bit excessive. Unless you took it to a shop that's charging $250/hr, there is NO WAY a wp should cost $2k. It's 6.5hrs book time. So, if a shop charges $150/hr, that's $975 for labor and about $200 for parts. Shop around...my guess is that the tech doesn't want to do the work. Don't pay more then $1400 for it!! I used to train dealers and had access to their labor hours for repairs. Don't let them try to tell you it's anymore then 8 hours total (some will pad their hours as a "just in case" since our cars are now over 10 years old). What state do you live in???? Kappahaus out of Ohio does these repairs for a lot less then the dealer.

Reactions: Sting Ya
#14 ·
I am getting that response from a lot of people. I have the GXP so they said it takes more work/ parts because they need to take the turbo out. I am going to shop around, and call some GM dealerships to see if they can help maybe for cheaper. Someone even said he probably quoted so much because her doesn't want to do it... so maybe the GM dealer who may see it more often may be better? not sure

I am in Connecticut.
Thanks for your help

#9 ·
The dealer price for a 2.0 water pump replacement is between $1000 and $1300 parts and labor. If you buy the pump from them - less than $100 if you look at the Delco equivalent part vice the Pontiac part - you also get a warrantee on parts and labor.

The reason it costs this much is because the factory procedure calls for removing turbo to access the water pump.

A friend and I replaced the water pump on his 2.0 car. Used the tool and followed the procedure documented by DDM Works and watched Youtube. It took us 10 hours and we were taking our time. We also had to stay hydrated during the process. we also used the tensioner tool which you can get for less than $100 or borrow.

The car does not have struts. It has shocks. The shocks are last time I checked rebuildable. You can get a set from Redline recycle or HoozierGXP, have them rebuilt and swap them for a few bucks.

For tires, go online to Tire rack or Discount tire dot com and get a good price then take it to three local tire shops and have them beat the price. Throw in mounting and balancing.

Who ever told you $2000 for the water pump, dont go back to them. They are on some kind of drugs

#15 ·
Sorry I always confuse shocks with struts.

Please let me fly you out to CT to help me. I really wish I was capable to doing projects like this because I am willing to do anything to save money. And yes, they said because it's turbo its more work to take it out and apparently they would need to buy more parts. People have said they probably priced it so high cause its a project they'd rather not do, so I am going to shop around tomorrow to see. I am thinking it may be smart to call dealerships under GM and talk with some folks in the repair department. I'd assume even in CT they've seen some solstices and may have more knowledge on fixing this so they don't need to charge $2000

I'll probably hold off on tires now until Fall. They'll basically be smooth but I need to really need to take care of this.

The dealer price for a 2.0 water pump replacement is between $1000 and $1300 parts and labor. If you buy the pump from them - less than $100 if you look at the Delco equivalent part vice the Pontiac part - you also get a warrantee on parts and labor.

The reason it costs this much is because the factory procedure calls for removing turbo to access the water pump.

A friend and I replaced the water pump on his 2.0 car. Used the tool and followed the procedure documented by DDM Works and watched Youtube. It took us 10 hours and we were taking our time. We also had to stay hydrated during the process. we also used the tensioner tool which you can get for less than $100 or borrow.

The car does not have struts. It has shocks. The shocks are last time I checked rebuildable. You can get a set from Redline recycle or HoozierGXP, have them rebuilt and swap them for a few bucks.

For tires, go online to Tire rack or Discount tire dot com and get a good price then take it to three local tire shops and have them beat the price. Throw in mounting and balancing.

Who ever told you $2000 for the water pump, dont go back to them. They are on some kind of drugs

#10 ·
I would strongly second the advice to shop around for the repair. I just had my 2.4 NA water pump replaced last week by my regular independent garage, and they charged $860 for everything, although I provided the water pump (which was less than $40 shipped from RockAuto). I'm not sure it was completely necessary, but they removed the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter to make accessing the water pump easier, which meant replacing other gaskets and (crazy expensive!) converter studs. So my total cost was $900, which to me was worth not trying to do it myself. I would bet that just about any reputable independent garage has replaced EcoTech water pumps before and will appreciate that ours isn't back by the firewall, haha. So definitely shop around. $2000 is too much.

And if you do find a shop that will install your parts, it looks like shocks are about $65 each at RockAuto, which could be another way to save a little.

#16 ·
Hey I really appreciate this. I would do anything for the total to be $900, seriously. I am going to look at other places, and I was thinking of calling some dealerships under GM and see if they may be able to help repair. I assume they know under the hood of a Solstice possibly better than the average mechanic. It just so overwhelming.

The same guy a few months back said replacing the front shocks will be about $650... so not sure again if they are relaly jacking up the price. They do a really good job from what my friend has said which is why he recommended them to me, but the prices are killing me. I wish I knew how to fix this stuff, I'd do anything to save the money.

Thank you for your help, I'll look into rockauto

#11 ·
So how many miles are on the car!
if it’s a high mileage car then you getting your expected asking price on a car that need work might be out of the question!
i think you need to a local shop to do it and keep away from the stealers!
i changed mine on my 07 but was not a turbo!
but maybe there some here that can help in your area!
dont rush into something you will regret.
hang in there!

#18 ·
It has 92,000 miles, so not bad but getting up there. They are a family owned business and trustworthy but the price everyone is saying is insanely high. And the no rush part, I can't drive the car I was told or else I am risking causing more harm. So I do feel I need to figure out a solution quick

So how many miles are on the car!
if it’s a high mileage car then you getting your expected asking price on a car that need work might be out of the question!
i think you need to a local shop to do it and keep away from the stealers!
i changed mine on my 07 but was not a turbo!
but maybe there some here that can help in your area!
dont rush into something you will regret.
hang in there!

#17 ·
Some clarification about the shocks/struts:

"Struts" normally refer to the Macpherson struts that are common with front wheel drive cars, and the Solstice does not have those. What the Solstice does have are coil spring over shock absorber assemblies (coilovers) that are referred to as struts because car people like to make things complicated.

The shock absorbers can be purchased for around $60 each from places like RockAuto, but then have to be installed, so labor has to be added unless you are going to do it yourself. Still, it is relatively inexpensive.

I have not found a place that will economically rebuild the shocks, but at $60 for new ones, I don't know why you would bother,

Reactions: Sting Ya
#19 ·
I see. I am toally fine to pay $60 for new ones, that just makes sense to me. But the same mechanic asking $2000 for the water pump fix quoted me almost $700 to fix the front shocks back in Jan 2020. So that seems really high knowing I can buy 2 for $120 and have someone install them. Unless I am undermining the project. I really wish I knew how to fix this stuff because I'd love to save money if I know what I was doing.

Thanks for your help

#25 · (Edited)
I guess at this point you have to ask yourself if you really love the car and willing to spend the money to maintain it .Selling it in the condition it's in your probably looking at 3 grand because people know you want to get rid of it .Unfortunately there are a lot of low priced Solstices out there one of our members Chop Top has an ongoing thread listing them from time to time . My point being that you can find a good running car for 4 to 5 grand so you need to take that into consideration if your thinking of selling it in it's present condition .

#30 ·
Yeah it's a really tough decision. Because I can afford the maintence, I am just trying to determine if this makes the most sense. Everyone says $2000 for the repair is insane, so if I can find it $800-$1,200 I wont complain and will just deal with it. But when I heard 2k yesterday I was like I think I need to walk away.

#31 · (Edited)
#38 ·
I am really devastated by the news I just got that I need to replace the water pump and it'll cost $2,000. I also need new tires and new set of struts coming up. I'm sorry if this post isn't meant to be here, or ridiculous, but I am heartbroken. I just passed my 1 year anniversary with my solstice and owning this car has meant the world to me.
You have gotten a wide range of alternatives to think about. Keep in mind what you first said about the car meaning the world to you. Go to any car show and ask ANYONE how much they spend keeping their beast maintained. You do what you can because you love the car. If you are only able to do one thing a year, that's fine. Everyone does what they can. My first fender was the consequence of shaking hands with a telephone pole (low speed). Got a friend who was somewhat savvy and fixed it myself. Taking the replacement off at the junkyard taught me a lot. Other people here got professional training. But we all love our cars, or we wouldn't be here. Don't lose that feeling.

#40 ·
I replaced three fuel pumps in the same car one summer. Another time I wiped out three main bearings, and had to fix it over a weekend so I could get to work. That's all on a classic muscle car. The parts were cheap though. But, the pain in the ass factor was fairly high.

My personal opinion is: worrying about it will not make a part fail prematurely, and the lack of a current problem is usually considered a good thing.

#39 ·
You can buy a whole new replacement engine for $1999.00, so look into this and you may change your mind about what to do.

Reactions: ba92
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.