Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
Thank you. What is a reluctor wheel? Is this what the crank sensor reads off of? That would be the only thing that I could think of. The others would be quite noticeable. The brakes are in spec and the drive belt system is all stock and never been touched
Yes. An accessory drive problem could be something like a bad bearing in the generator, AC compressor, PS pump, or an idler. I agree that any of those external causes should be easy to detect, but the note was in the manual so there is a chance that one has been overlooked before.

Reactions: R&T

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
2,867 Posts
Had to Google this one..
A bit home garage but still short and informative:

·
Registered
'07 Base - Lil' Red Devil and ‘07 GXP - unnamed
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Any updates G-Ram?
So I suspected, but my sniffer doesn’t work so well since Covid, gas in the oil. My son confirmed today that the oil smells just like gas. With my symptoms I would imagine the HPFP has failed, correct?

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
2,867 Posts
So I suspected, but my sniffer doesn’t work so well since Covid, gas in the oil. My son confirmed today that the oil smells just like gas. With my symptoms I would imagine the HPFP has failed, correct?
I dont quite understand the mechanics of why the HPFP failing means gas in the oil (can only fit so much in my head and right now my head is full of clutch and tranny) unless it is leaking gas past the fuel lobe roller and into the top of the head?

Either way, if you decide to replace, i would make sure to get the gasket, bolts and fuel lobe roller as the bolts and roller dont add much cost and why not just get it all done in one fell swoop?

helpful video:

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
I dont quite understand the mechanics of why the HPFP failing means gas in the oil (can only fit so much in my head and right now my head is full of clutch and tranny) unless it is leaking gas past the fuel lobe roller and into the top of the head?
Yes.

Reactions: agent008

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Well there ya go then. Good news is that (I found) it is a relatively easy job. Especially if you take the cowl off and aren’t in a rush (apparently you don’t have too I just prefer the extra room to work)
Flare nut wrench makes all the difference in taking off the high pressure fuel tube.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Already watched the video and I am a decent wrencher, but no expert obviously. Just want to get this thing on the road at full power!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
If speed is your game, a flare nut wrench will help significantly. My apologies as I dont remeber the size for the high pressure pipe but the flare nut wrench allowed me to access those nuts quite easily and solidly. I bought a meteric set just for this job and they paid for themselves the first time i did the HPFP. Then came in super handy on the brake lines... etc etc.

·
Registered
901 Posts
The oil will always smell like gas in this DI motors. Question is, how strong of a smell? Would you light a match next to it? Very good chance the HPFP is bad. If it’s just do so then probably not. Watch your oil level fir a few hundred miles and if it goes up, you are getting fuel in the oil. If not, then you are not.

And yes, gas gets past the pump seal and pushes into the top of the head. I’ll post pics of mine if I still have them. I actually had fuel sitting under the roller.
The size wrench is 17 mm and you do not need to tighten it down very much. The ball on the end of the pipe is a soft metal and will deform easily of over tightened. I used a stubby wrench, didn’t have a flare and it fits tight. You’ll also need a 10mm for the bolts and loctite. You can see the gas in the bottom of the slot where the roller sits. I did not remove the cowl, plastic and I don’t get along so as you can see it’s still on in the pic. And pay attention to the gasket, it only goes on one way. Reverse it and you could have potential leaks I’m guessing.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I got everything removed and it’s like clockwork until I unbox the new hpfp and find out it only has one screw on fitting instead of two. I bought off of Amazon and it said part would fit my car. We’ll, they were wrong. Retuning the part and bought another, correct, hpfp. Just have to wait a few days.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The oil will always smell like gas in this DI motors. Question is, how strong of a smell? Would you light a match next to it? Very good chance the HPFP is bad. If it’s just do so then probably not. Watch your oil level fir a few hundred miles and if it goes up, you are getting fuel in the oil. If not, then you are not.

And yes, gas gets past the pump seal and pushes into the top of the head. I’ll post pics of mine if I still have them. I actually had fuel sitting under the roller.
The size wrench is 17 mm and you do not need to tighten it down very much. The ball on the end of the pipe is a soft metal and will deform easily of over tightened. I used a stubby wrench, didn’t have a flare and it fits tight. You’ll also need a 10mm for the bolts and loctite. You can see the gas in the bottom of the slot where the roller sits. I did not remove the cowl, plastic and I don’t get along so as you can see it’s still on in the pic. And pay attention to the gasket, it only goes on one way. Reverse it and you could have potential leaks I’m guessing.
Got everything removed and I did take off the cowl to clean under it...doesn't look like it has ever been off and had a lot of leaves and grime under it. Didn't have success with the hpfp as I got the wrong part off of Amazon...said it fit to a 2007 Solstice GXP, but nope...had a threaded high pressure output, but a nipple low pressure input. I didn't notice that, just order because Amazon said it fit....NOPE...at least I won't have to take off the cowl next time.

Also the heat shield on the hpfp was degrading so I re-insulated it with silver heat shield tape...looks new and not falling apart any longer. Just hopeful that the new hpfp makes a difference.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Got everything removed and I did take off the cowl to clean under it...doesn't look like it has ever been off and had a lot of leaves and grime under it. Didn't have success with the hpfp as I got the wrong part off of Amazon...said it fit to a 2007 Solstice GXP, but nope...had a threaded high pressure output, but a nipple low pressure input. I didn't notice that, just order because Amazon said it fit....NOPE...at least I won't have to take off the cowl next time.

Also the heat shield on the hpfp was degrading so I re-insulated it with silver heat shield tape...looks new and not falling apart any longer. Just hopeful that the new hpfp makes a difference.
Sucks about the pump. I almost bought mine off Amazon but couldn’t see the correct angle for the parts I needed to see if it matches ours. I bought mine from zzp. Someone else said they found a lot of leaves under their cowl too. I might bite the bullet and pull it but I have terrible luck with plastic. Something always breaks on me so I try not to remove plastic if I don’t have too.

As for the heat shield, that’s a good idea. It acts as a heat shield and noise insulator but I ran minewith it off to check for leaks and I couldn’t tell a difference with it on or off. I just put it back on but I know many don’t have one anymore.

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
.... I might bite the bullet and pull it but I have terrible luck with plastic. Something always breaks on me so I try not to remove plastic if I don’t have too.
The cowl is a bit tricky to remove. You want to pull it away from the windshield along the wiper shafts, but you have to pull it down parallel to the glass first to release clips along the bottom. Pulling it away from the glass will break those clips, resulting in a loud "buzz" at speed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The cowl is a bit tricky to remove. You want to pull it away from the windshield along the wiper shafts, but you have to pull it down parallel to the glass first to release clips along the bottom. Pulling it away from the glass will break those clips, resulting in a loud "buzz" at speed.
Already done and replaced. No damage.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Sucks about the pump. I almost bought mine off Amazon but couldn’t see the correct angle for the parts I needed to see if it matches ours. I bought mine from zzp. Someone else said they found a lot of leaves under their cowl too. I might bite the bullet and pull it but I have terrible luck with plastic. Something always breaks on me so I try not to remove plastic if I don’t have too.

As for the heat shield, that’s a good idea. It acts as a heat shield and noise insulator but I ran minewith it off to check for leaks and I couldn’t tell a difference with it on or off. I just put it back on but I know many don’t have one anymore.
I did the same. Bought the pump and a new cam roller from ZZP. Should be here on Tuesday. I have Wednesday and Thursday off so going to work on the car then. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I just lifted up on the front edge and once clear of the wiper posts I pulled toward the front of the car. I think a lot of the windshield clips may get broken on reinstall. I imagine people get impatient and try to force them under the glass edge instead of reversing the removal process.

Patience is a virtue...impatience usually costs you $$$.

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
I just lifted up on the front edge and once clear of the wiper posts I pulled toward the front of the car. I think a lot of the windshield clips may get broken on reinstall. I imagine people get impatient and try to force them under the glass edge instead of reversing the removal process.

Patience is a virtue...impatience usually costs you $$$.
That could be the case. I have assumed that they get broken on removal because there is no way to know that the clips are there until you see them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Put in the new hpfp last night. Changed the oil and had to air out the garage due to the gas fumes coming from the oil. Hpfp was definitely a problem, but not the fix. Test drive had same results.

Today while doing a little clean up I removed the driver side fender to clean out a ton of leaves and debris and remembered That some one said to check all the connections etc. So while the fender was off I disconnected the battery and the removed and cleaned every electrical connector I could find. Guess what. Got everything back together and took a little spin. Holy Moley this thing is fast.

still have some issues but feel that we are 90% there. When I really pushed it I still got a miss fire code but it is now P0304 instead of a P0300. Tomorrow I’ll pull all the coils and plugs and see what I find. The plugs are gapped at .028. They were at .032 when it was tuned. Maybe if I go back to that gap I’ll get the results I want.

Some people might get frustrated with all the issues I’m having. To the contrary I’m having the timeof my life tinkering and learning about the GXP. We live to fight another day!!!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts