Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To all modders,

I have been recently looking at upgrading the rims and tires on my GXP.I love the thought of a staggered set. I looked all through the forum and got varying information on fitment and offsets.I actually viewed a few nice looking GXP'S with 245/35 R20 tires with 8.5"rims in the front and 275/ 30 R20 with 10"rims in the rear and there was no fitment issues.The one GXP had a offset of 40 and 45 which looked super clean.Another stated 55 all the way around which looks clean too.I pulled the trigger and bought some nice looking Lexani rims and was very specific about fitting in the wheel well.The company assured me they would fit.I also decided to spring for the BC coilovers with the swift spring upgrade because I really wanted that perfect stance.The question that I have for the forum is,What is the ideal offset for 20"rims with coilovers? The second question is how much if any will the tires camber once I put the coilovers on?I personally cant stand that crazy camber I see on some vehicles but also I want to fit as much meat in the back as I can get without uneven tire wear.As of right now I am 3/4" off the fender well in back and 3/8" off the front.I personally think the company in which I purchased them from did not request the proper offset.Any personal and professional experiences is much appreciated.Attached are some pics you may or may not find funny.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chop Top,

I am pretty particular as well. I definitely did not want the tire to stick out past the fender well. I wanted that clean lowered stance with the ability to ride up into the wheel well if needed.Its just hard to tell how much camber I will get until I put the coilovers on. I just spoke with BC regarding my concerns and they said it would be real close. I have seen multiple pics of the same tire and wheel setup that sit perfect. I'm just not sure if the offset on the rim is the same as mine. Its hard to envision right now with it sticking out 3/4" in the back that it will actually tuck inside the fender well. I'm hoping for the best because I really want to keep that 10" tire in the back and the same clean reveal off the fender well.Thanks for the link.I will check out Norms

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Here's a recent pic of my car w/the old Gravana J2 staggered wheels, 18X8 & 18X9, 245/275 tires, and BC coilovers, the tires do have a slight camber to them, but the pics don't show it very well.

Gravana J2 (also known as Monarch 410) were sold by old forum vendor Kappasphere.
18x8 Front 50 offset
18x9 Rear 52 offset

They were also available in 19s.
19x8.5 Front 45 offset
19x9.5 Rear 55 offset

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shabby,

They said it was a 40.I called lexani,they said a 40 should work.I personally do not think its a 40

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Chop Top for the visual.I think I might be able to squeeze it in. Worst case scenario I could probably get them fitted to 45.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now that's some meat on the back. It doesn't look like your going to clear but like the look.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Shabby,

They said it was a 40.I called lexani,they said a 40 should work.I personally do not think its a 40
And those are 10" wide? What tire size?
I would never trust a wheel manufacturer to say it'll fit, sure it'll fit, everything will fit. If i were you i'd call them and bitch and complain, tell them you want a different offset.

Here's a 9" et55 with a 275 tire http://i.imgur.com/kjfvOPT.jpg

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And those are 10" wide? What tire size?
I would never trust a wheel manufacturer to say it'll fit, sure it'll fit, everything will fit. If i were you i'd call them and bitch and complain, tell them you want a different offset.

Here's a 9" et55 with a 275 tire http://i.imgur.com/kjfvOPT.jpg
Shabby,

I know there killing me. What is there definition of fit? 275 tires in the back.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The rims in the back are offset as far as they can go. The caps wont go on if the offset is any more. The most I could go anyway is 5mm.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
The rims in the back are offset as far as they can go. The caps wont go on if the offset is any more. The most I could go anyway is 5mm.
They look like 40, IMHO you need at least 55. The diameter, width and offset should be cast or stamped on the inside of one of the spokes. Take 1 off and look. Before you take it off, how much clearance do you have between the rim/tire and the frame rail? That is your ultimate limit for 10" wheels. You may need to do a little frame adjusting. You need to have the manufacturer send you wheels with more offset.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They look like 40, IMHO you need at least 55. The diameter, width and offset should be cast or stamped on the inside of one of the spokes. Take 1 off and look. Before you take it off, how much clearance do you have between the rim/tire and the frame rail? That is your ultimate limit for 10" wheels. You may need to do a little frame adjusting. You need to have the manufacturer send you wheels with more offset.
Tom,

Thanks for the input, Unfortunately most rims that I have been able to find only offset at the most 45.The 5x110 are pretty limited. I'm going to roll the dice and see what happens when I get the coilovers on it. If it doesn't work the company that I bought them from will swap them for the 8.5"rims that I have and the front. Hopefully I can find some way to sqeeeeeeze em in. The staggered setup looks amazing on these vehicles if they fit. I will keep this thread going for whoever is interested. Basically the correct offset for 20" Staggered setup is 50-55 for whoever is thinking about it.8.5" rims in the front and 10"rims in the back. I will attach pics when completed. Thx ALL.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To all the forum.I just thought I would let you know how the new 275 rear tires are working. FANTASTIC! The more and more I look at that meat in the back. The more I Love that aggressive stance and the new look it has given this ride. I have BC coilovers on the way. I will update the photos when I'm done and it is at that ideal ride height. Thanks for all the feedback

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well I'm back,

I finally got the installation done with the BR BC coil overs with the swift spring upgrade. I decided to put in the ZOK sway bars in at the same time. I was a extremely surprised on the travel allowed on the rear. The shock body is super tight to the rear axle boot. I had to drop the rear all the way down to get the stance I was looking for. I have yet to tweak the dampening adjustment . I think the overall look is right on though. I am still on the fence about returning the rears for a smaller tire. It does still stick out but not by much. I have about 3/4" to the body on the rear. I am a little concerned about rubbing but I also don't know how much travel this new suspension will give me either. From my experience if your trying to dump your car these are not the coil overs you want. I know they had a option for super low. I'm not sure if they were available with this brand though. I am going to contact BC and ask them why there is no more adjustment in the rear. Maybe it was because of the swift spring upgrade. I don't know. Overall I love the look.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I'm back,
I finally got the coil overs put on. The car has a real aggressive stance now. I love it. I had some issues that I thought I would share. The rear shock body is reaaaallly tight to the axle boot. Probably typical, I will find out soon enough. The rear adjustment is also all the down. I have roughly 3/4" to the tire. The rear tire does still stick out a bit but not by much. I will find out if there is any rub with that clearance soon. The bottom line is if your looking for 275 tires on the rear and to dump it you need a 50-55 offset which limits your rims. I am pleased with the overall look but somewhat disappointed that the rear does not have any more adjustment. I will update this post on performance when I am able. Thanks everybody for the input and keep on rolling.https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PHF9j1lD4CS1cLT_iz17nZ9ot7v9vuzEwA.https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DxfRSG3fhofsusx0q3WurDxv5upVQJjTYA .https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IoKsX4EnLzuTq0-xG6fqk7cwMPHHdfmHCA

1 - 20 of 40 Posts