Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife gave me a few requirements before allowing me to buy a new car.
1. Must be good on gas
2. She must be able to drive it
3. Be built in the last 20 years (the rest of the barn is 1984 and older)
4. Reliable

Hmm, guess I stayed withing my requirements and made a great choice. Love it so far.

This is my daily driver replacing my 1984 Thunderbird Tubro that is going into semi-retirement with classic plates.

I got a Black car, Leather two-tone seats, Power locks, windows and mirrors. 6-CD changer (no XM) and subwoofer behind the passenger seat.

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We would love to learn more about your barn cars.

And of course more about your Sol. Pictures?

There are several very active clubs and members that would be a good local source of information and potentially sharing fun times.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Kinda the same rules I was given. MY wife regularly refered to my 73Vette as being yard art. Welcome aboard.
Charlie

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rest of the "yard art" is a 1983 Buick Riviera Convertible, a 1968 Thunderbird fordoor (suicide doors), the 1984 T-Bird tubro and a 1957 Century Mahogany boat.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Welcome BobBob! Congrats on the new purchase and nice "stable" of goodies you have!

As for thanking this forum? Come on. We're all junkies here just trying to get someone else addicted!!!!

As Rob requested - pictures? (We'll get back to you on what your plans are to modify the car once you've had it for a while. Like maybe two weeks....)

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great to see so many previously owned Kappas going to loving homes.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Already have a few questions as I plan out my first weekend of discovery.

inside fuse panel - is it behind the board behind the firewall? If so, how does one remove the board. Do you just give it a good yank?.

I need an additional 12v outlet, is there room somewhere in the "waterfall" storage area to put a recessed outlet or should I go with a surface mount?

How did they get to be called Kappas?

Nice to know this is a very active board with good ideas being shared. Pictures coming this weekend after a good coat of wax.

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Already have a few questions as I plan out my first weekend of discovery.

inside fuse panel - is it behind the board behind the firewall? If so, how does one remove the board. Do you just give it a good yank?.

I need an additional 12v outlet, is there room somewhere in the "waterfall" storage area to put a recessed outlet or should I go with a surface mount?

How did they get to be called Kappas?

Nice to know this is a very active board with good ideas being shared. Pictures coming this weekend after a good coat of wax.
The BCM (body control module) and fuse block is under the right side foot rest. Pull the front carpet back and down and the cover plate will be revealed. The cover plate is held in place with Velcro. When you pull that down you will see the fuse block and BCM

There is a thread from a couple of years ago that describes how to use a standard aftermarket fused tap which plugs into the open fuse location to provide 12v power,

You can pull the boomerang and add another outlet. In my Punisher thread I show how I removed the entire interior

Kappa refers to the platform. GM builds multiple cars on the same chasis. They give the chasis a unique name. Ours is called Kappa. We use the term to refer to Solstice and Sky cars. Google search " kappa wiki" and you will find the history on eikipedia

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
A little more support to Rob's input. The "Boomerang" is the swooping portion of the dash from the drivers side door down to the center console. It pops open very easy with the right steps. (Pull the chrome trim ring from the gauge cluser, pull the "tube" cluster that leads down to the gauges, then you can pop the boomerang off working left to right.)

As for finding the existing threads, the search tool is all the way at the top left of the site. (Use the google custom search - it gets better results than the forum search.) If you want to search within the page you're on, the search button is at the top of the thread to the right in a dark gray bar. Handy to go to the "interior-exterior mods" section, search there for "12v outlets" and you should find a ton of info.

And not that anybody would go overboard on modifications here, but I believe someone wired in like a half dozen 12v ports to charge cell phones, ipads, ipods, gps, etc. etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts