Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
CAR and DRIVER - June 2004

I see CAR and DRIVER (June 2004 issue) has an article on the test of the two mules in England earlier this year. It's titled "Kappa Kapers." In that same issue there is this comment on their "Dirt Road" page:

·
Registered
26 Posts
200-hp coming?

Oops! Don't know why I was disconnected!
Anyway, the comment on the "Dirt Road" page is: Bob loves you - The very-cool '06 Pontiac Solstice a.k.a. Bob's baby (as in Lutz), will indeed get a model offering 30 more horses than the well, less-than-thrilling 170 promised at the Detroit auto show. "When the 200-hp four is added," says His Silver-Haired Grace, "no one will ask why we didn't offer a V-8 in that car." Only question remaining: when will that powerful four-cylinder appear?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I know we've been talking (dreaming) about a 250hp sc/turbo. Is it possible that they could get 200hp without forced induction? That would leave lots of room if a they someday put a sc/turbo on top of that. Or does that mean I'll have to void the warrenty with a smaller pulley/bigger turbo. Without an inter-cooler, 30 hp's an easy bolt on at around 6-7 pounds boost.
But my magic eight ball still says, "The outlook is bright"!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
manxpilot said:
Oops! Don't know why I was disconnected!
Anyway, the comment on the "Dirt Road" page is: Bob loves you - The very-cool '06 Pontiac Solstice a.k.a. Bob's baby (as in Lutz), will indeed get a model offering 30 more horses than the well, less-than-thrilling 170 promised at the Detroit auto show. "When the 200-hp four is added," says His Silver-Haired Grace, "no one will ask why we didn't offer a V-8 in that car." Only question remaining: when will that powerful four-cylinder appear?

From the same Car and Driver issue's "Dirt Road" (same page, actually):

Let's slow down: Ward's Automotive Reports tells us Saturn's "flop," the L-series mid-size sedan will be bounced fof the Wilmington, Deleware assembly line to make way for a new Kappa-platform sports car. The plant will warm up with production of the Solstice in the fall, and ultimately a sports car for Saturn -- a roadster based along the lines of the Curve concept. This, says Bob Lutz, "is a game changer for Saturn."

No news that the Solstice will be produced in Wilmington. What seems news to me, here is that production could start THIS FALL. If that's the case, I see release way before the projected late summer/early fall '05 timeframe. Until now, I've never really cared about timetables for production start to showroom roll-out, but I doubt that process takes A YEAR, does it?
Of course, this same snippet puts the Saturn roadster closer to the Curve concept than the Vauxhall Lightning concept, which is opposite the latest buzz. That could just be what was rumored at press time, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts