Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I know Autoweek just published it (1/20) but the article has been run by other publications before. We have a lengthy thread on it already here in the Solstice News forum:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=949

Thanks for sharing! It is an interesting bit of news. As I said in the prior thread, I hope GM doesn't overreact to the GTO and SSR, and then not meet demand with the Solstice for fear of overproduction!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
At least it says...
Don't expect a glut of Saturn Skys or Pontiac Solstices on dealership lots in 2005
Which means don't expect the over stock like the GTO/SSR, but we can proabbly still expect to not deal with shortages hopefully.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Not to worry. Just tell them you want one, flash some cash and it will be built. This may be a good thing if your not willing to take what a dealership has ordered for his quota. Maybe this will provide for a quicker delivery time on a customer ordered car. Not sure though, maybe one of the sales guys can say for sure one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, there will probably be a minimum stock build up, but I bet they'll be glad to build any on demand to fit personal orders.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
They may be planning to adjust allocation a little too, and not send as many to northeast dealers. One of their problems with the GTO was dumping a lot of them on dealer lots in the Northeast during the middle of winter, and those cars just sat there until spring. Meanwhile, dealers in the south who could have sold GTO’s weren’t able to get enough

·
Registered
97 Posts
brentil said:
Yeah, there will probably be a minimum stock build up, but I bet they'll be glad to build any on demand to fit personal orders.
Don't bet on it. GM will not be building unallocated sold orders on this car, at least not for the 1st year. They never process unallocated sold orders on a new vehicle launch, especially when it is going to be a low volume car with such high anticipation. GM's allocation system bites!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
eatoninside said:
Don't bet on it. GM will not be building unallocated sold orders on this car, at least not for the 1st year. They never process unallocated sold orders on a new vehicle launch, especially when it is going to be a low volume car with such high anticipation. GM's allocation system bites!
Sorry for being slow but what's an unallocated sold order?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
eatoninside said:
The allocation system does byte! With the GTO and SSR, it bit GM back too! :lol

Any idea how allocation will go for the Sol yet? Will they allocate more to warm weather states, or is allocation going to be based on dealer size?

·
Registered
391 Posts
As far as I see it all this "over stock" and "under selling" stuff is ALL GM's falt. They make awsome show cars and the CRAP they put on the show room floors at dealers looks like cheap kit car coppies of the real show cars. Then to top it off they perform like ........well I am a GM person so I will be kind, they have substandard performance compared to other car companies. If I had any PULL in the GM management heads would roll and people would be sent walking over the crap they put out. Then some have the nerve to blame a slump in the market? It is plain and simple, make cars that LOOK COOL and they will sell. People will over look a bad service record for a realy cool looking car. Then make the car practical and reliable and the cars will be outstanding sellers. Then they should top it off with out standing performance, then the cars will fly out of the show rooms.
Saturn has always made good cars but they are BUT UGLY. And people dont want to drive ugly cars even if they are good cars.
I would have fired ALOT of people over the ugly crap GM puts out. Some say GM reliablity is subpar, but I dont. The GM looks are subpar. They need to make them look cool and there will be no problems with "overstock"
BTW I have a feeling the KAPPA is doomed to fail like the Fiero and the Saturn "L" if they dont put a V6 in it. Just a side note and just my opinion. The KAPPA is a sports car looking car, like the Fiero. But if it dont meat expectations it is doomed.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Rickady88GT said:
As far as I see it all this "over stock" and "under selling" stuff is ALL GM's falt. They make awsome show cars and the CRAP they put on the show room floors at dealers looks like cheap kit car coppies of the real show cars. Then to top it off they perform like ........well I am a GM person so I will be kind, they have substandard performance compared to other car companies. If I had any PULL in the GM management heads would roll and people would be sent walking over the crap they put out. Then some have the nerve to blame a slump in the market? It is plain and simple, make cars that LOOK COOL and they will sell. People will over look a bad service record for a realy cool looking car. Then make the car practical and reliable and the cars will be outstanding sellers. Then they should top it off with out standing performance, then the cars will fly out of the show rooms.
Saturn has always made good cars but they are BUT UGLY. And people dont want to drive ugly cars even if they are good cars.
I would have fired ALOT of people over the ugly crap GM puts out. Some say GM reliablity is subpar, but I dont. The GM looks are subpar. They need to make them look cool and there will be no problems with "overstock"
BTW I have a feeling the KAPPA is doomed to fail like the Fiero and the Saturn "L" if they dont put a V6 in it. Just a side note and just my opinion. The KAPPA is a sports car looking car, like the Fiero. But if it dont meat expectations it is doomed.
GM has put out a lot of styling duds over the years. The good news is that they know it, and are trying to change it. I recently read an interview with Bob Lutz where he talked about just those issues, and why the culture at GM was not good for designing good looking cars, and cars with good looking, quality interiors. He also admitted that there is still a lot of room for improvement, and although things have gotten a lot better, its been difficult to change everyone’s way of doing business and really freeing up the designers.

From what he said, designers and engineers were often punished for doing things other than what management ordered them to do. It quelled their initiative, and taught them not to question management even if they thought management was wrong. He is trying to get management to understand they have to listen to subordinates and consider their ideas, and he also has been trying to get the subordinates to speak their mind and realize there will no longer be any reprisals. Certainly its been a difficult task.

Hopefully GM will continue to deliver better looking cars. The Sky and Sol are two of them.

As you may suspect, I also disagree about he V6. I know, we have long since agreed to disagree on this issue. I still think a potent boosted 4 banger will allow the car to be successful. Its also bound to handle and ride a lot better than the early Fieros, which was as big of a factor in their “poor performance” as the iron duke. Remember, the V6 came along in its second year, but the poor performance label stuck until 1988 when they finally upgraded the suspension. At that point, magazines began writing how GM finally made the Fiero a good performer, right before they decided to kill it.

Other factors conspired to kill the Fiero too. Engine fire reputation was a major killer, auto insurance rates skyrocketed pricing the car out of reach of potential buyers, and Chevrolet worked against it behind the walls of GM.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
articles

Fformula88 said:
... At that point, magazines began writing how GM finally made the Fiero a good performer, right before they decided to kill it.
... and Chevrolet worked against it behind the walls of GM.
I guess the best way to keep the Solstice in production will be to read nothing in print after it hits the market :rolleyes Maybe that's why the Grand Prix is so successful. We who own and love them KNOW that they would place well against most others in C&D, R&T or MotorTrend head to head or 10 best comparisons, especially when price is a consideration. I agree with your take on Chevy, and even Corvette within Chevy, as the killers when a product is even thought to have an impact on 'Vette sales, e.g. Corvair, Fiero, Camaro/Firebird (Cosworth Vega comitted suicide all by itself).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
achieftain said:
I guess the best way to keep the Solstice in production will be to read nothing in print after it hits the market :rolleyes Maybe that's why the Grand Prix is so successful. We who own and love them KNOW that they would place well against most others in C&D, R&T or MotorTrend head to head or 10 best comparisons, especially when price is a consideration. I agree with your take on Chevy, and even Corvette within Chevy, as the killers when a product is even thought to have an impact on 'Vette sales, e.g. Corvair, Fiero, Camaro/Firebird (Cosworth Vega comitted suicide all by itself).
I apologize, I am very familiar with the Fiero information, but I think I confused you with my statement which you quoted. The magazines wrote the articles praising the 88 Fiero, right before GM decided to kill the car. The mags didn't kill it.

Reviews by the automotive press do matter. They can give a car a good or bad reputation, deserved or not. Its may be even more important with a sports car that caters more to enthusiats than a family hauler like the Grand Prix.

As for Chevy's influence on the Fiero. Chevy has a lot of pull in GM. They are the biggest division after all. Pontiac was running a prototype Fiero around the GM Milford proving grounds with a turbocharged V6 engine that was significantly faster than the Corvette, and would sell for significantly less. Essentially, it was a performance and sales threat to Chevy's pride and joy, so they put a lot of pressure on GM to squash the Fiero before Pontiac could entertain production thoughts of their Corvette killer. Its not the only reason the Fiero died, but it is one of them. Along with engine fires, and a reputation for being a poor performer which was earned in large part from the automotive press! :thumbs

1 - 19 of 19 Posts