Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the glitter fairy visited my oil filter on my last oil change. I took it to the dealership and they said what I knew they'd say. "New Engine"
I have an aftermarket warranty (Route 66) and they are paying out 4800$.
After labor, only the ATK engine is in my price range.
My Solstice is a 2008 gxp with (i think) the GMPP tune and no other mods.
I'm not entirely sure about the tune, I'm the second owner but I have the blue sensors and it will hit 23-24 of boost @ WOT so it's definitely not stock.
So here's what I'm thinking.
ATK 2.0 LNF engine.
High Flow Cat (solo). Can this be depended on to not throw a code?
GM CAI (the stock intake is slightly broken. I don't expect any HP gains).
Red silicone coolant hoses (i have a slow leak...somewhere.)
Red silicone upper radiator hose.
Silicone LNF Throttle body elbow.
Silicone LNF Turbo Outlet.
DDMworks LNF charge tubes (mostly for looks)
New Belts. New gaskets. New TTY bolts, etc. What's the best brands? ACDELCO?
New motor break in oil. What's the best brands/process?
Transmission Oil flush? I'm just over 100K.
What am I missing?

Clearly, Rt66 won't pay for all of that. However, the labor will be about the same for installing upgrade parts vs stock so I figure I might as well.
Any advice, folks?

·
Super Moderator
16,150 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issue but new engine!

High Flow Cat (solo). Can this be depended on to not throw a code?- if you install it properly including the sensor standoff they have proven very reliable and compatible
GM CAI (the stock intake is slightly broken. I don't expect any HP gains). - Make sure you use a dry filter and consider a waterproof bag over the filter.

DDMworks LNF charge tubes (mostly for looks) - The charge tubes, while most believe they don't add HP, there is evidence that they maintain the power at higher RPMs where turbulence causes a roll off of power in the stock tubes. Good addition.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
So, the glitter fairy visited my oil filter on my last oil change. I took it to the dealership and they said what I knew they'd say. "New Engine"
I'm not entirely sure about the tune, I'm the second owner but I have the blue sensors and it will hit 23-24 of boost @ WOT so it's definitely not stock.
ATK 2.0 LNF engine.
What am I missing?

Clearly, Rt66 won't pay for all of that. However, the labor will be about the same for installing upgrade parts vs stock so I figure I might as well.
Any advice, folks?
Just checking, are you talking about a LDK engine? Not familiar with a LTK.

Dave

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rob,

Thanks for your input!
Thanks for mentioning the standoff for the HFC. I didn't realize it was required in order to not throw a code.
The GM GMPP CAI comes with a filter and cover, I believe. I was under the impression it was a dry filter.
Can anyone here confirm that filter is dry and not oiled?
Also, Is there a waterproof bag that won't restrict airflow?
Good point about the Charge Tubes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Dave,
My car had a tune when i bought it. DDMworks does tunes, right? How expensive would it be for me to find out what tune i have? I'd like to confirm its the GMPP tune, or at least know it's not the GMPP tune like i have assumed it was.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
My dad and I installed an ATK LDK this past summer in my 07 GXP. $1,900 delivered in 3 days.

You'll need to remove your oil pan and install on the LDK.

You'll need to either install your intake manifold, or drill out one spot and drill/tap another spot on the LDK intake manifold. Either way this means the intake manifold is coming off - install PAW throttle body and intake spacers at this time.

You'll need to replace the crank pulley with your crank pulley.

I didn't break the AC lines. I didnt remove the radiator. I didn't remove the transmission. I did remove the hood, front bumper cover, fender liners, front wheels and bumper bracing. I didn't remove fenders.

The LDK has OPEL injectors, you'll need a tune for this. Dave at PAW wrote mine via HPTuners, you'll get as many tunes from him as needed. I haven't been able to pass the sniff emissions test - failed 3 times now, I'm basically giving up and looking into alternatives to having to do emissions at all. Failed with a SOLO HFC, failed with the OEM cat. Failing due to carbon monoxide - running too rich or the cat. Dave can't lean it out anymore because then the O2 sensor would be out of whack. A second inline cat MIGHT get me to pass. Dave thinks it's the OPEL injectors.

There's no gaskets to buy, but you'll need to use silicone on the oil pan.

I used Lucas break in oil for the first 3 changes. First change after 10 min of idle, second after 20 miles driven, third after 100 miles. I used conventional oil from 100 to 1,000. I'm finally going to go to synthetic, just havent yet. ATK didn't warranty an engine that died with less than 250 miles on it that Martin at RPM installed because he broke it in with synthetic. They no longer do warranties, sold as is.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Hey Dave,
My car had a tune when i bought it. DDMworks does tunes, right? How expensive would it be for me to find out what tune i have? I'd like to confirm its the GMPP tune, or at least know it's not the GMPP tune like i have assumed it was.
If you have a GMPP tune then you have a 2 bar map sensor. That can be seen visually in about 3 seconds once the hood is open.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
I suspect he is referring to this rebuilt engine company: Home - ATKVege and not an engine series.
They offer a remanufactured LNF.
I don't think that's what he's referring to.

This is not a rebuild. It's a brand new euro spec LDK. I spoke to the owner of ATK - he still has a couple hundred of these.

·
Super Moderator
6,713 Posts
Can you find where they offer a remanufactured LNF? I only see new LDK's.
Yes. From the link that I posted go to the products tab and then select "Reman Engine Catalog" instead of "High Performance Engines". They list long blocks and cylinder heads for the LNF and the LE5.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Hey Dave,
Do you have HPtuners or someway to read out the current tune in the vehicle? If so, just read it out and email it over to us and we can take a look and let you know what you have in there.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
ATK 2.0 LNF engine.
What am I missing?

Any advice, folks?
It sounds like you may have something other than the GMPP tune flashed on the ECM already though, seeing 23-24psi of boost.

The code for the catalyst efficiency can be disabled, but there is also the O2 extender that is included with the SOLO high flow cat that will sometimes work at keeping the code off.
New belts and gaskets are definitely a good idea for the ones that are not part of the engine, you are in there already, perfect time to do it.
For the engine builds that we do here, we break them in with this - Engine Break-In Oil Additive - TB Zinc Plus
Transmission and Differential flush is also a great idea while you are having all of this done.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My dad and I installed an ATK LDK this past summer in my 07 GXP. $1,900 delivered in 3 days.

You'll need to remove your oil pan and install on the LDK.

You'll need to either install your intake manifold, or drill out one spot and drill/tap another spot on the LDK intake manifold. Either way this means the intake manifold is coming off - install PAW throttle body and intake spacers at this time.

You'll need to replace the crank pulley with your crank pulley.

I didn't break the AC lines. I didnt remove the radiator. I didn't remove the transmission. I did remove the hood, front bumper cover, fender liners, front wheels and bumper bracing. I didn't remove fenders.

The LDK has OPEL injectors, you'll need a tune for this. Dave at PAW wrote mine via HPTuners, you'll get as many tunes from him as needed. I haven't been able to pass the sniff emissions test - failed 3 times now, I'm basically giving up and looking into alternatives to having to do emissions at all. Failed with a SOLO HFC, failed with the OEM cat. Failing due to carbon monoxide - running too rich or the cat. Dave can't lean it out anymore because then the O2 sensor would be out of whack. A second inline cat MIGHT get me to pass. Dave thinks it's the OPEL injectors.

There's no gaskets to buy, but you'll need to use silicone on the oil pan.

I used Lucas break in oil for the first 3 changes. First change after 10 min of idle, second after 20 miles driven, third after 100 miles. I used conventional oil from 100 to 1,000. I'm finally going to go to synthetic, just havent yet. ATK didn't warranty an engine that died with less than 250 miles on it that Martin at RPM installed because he broke it in with synthetic. They no longer do warranties, sold as is.
Thanks for the great info! Can i PM you for more questions?
From what i can tell, I won't have to do anything to the intake manifold because I have the GMPP sensors already.
They should bolt on to the new intake, no problem.
What are PAW throttle body and intake spacers all about? I can't find them on the PAW site. Did you see any gains adding them?
I don't have emission testing here, but I'm planning on sticking with my current injectors for now. I'll save the opel injectors for a possible later tune. I'm planning on using the Solo HFC and sensor standoff to prevent the car from throwing a code, hopefully.
I'm looking at using Lucas break in oil and similar change schedule to what you did. I know there's no warranty, so I plan on being veeeery cautious.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you have HPtuners or someway to read out the current tune in the vehicle? If so, just read it out and email it over to us and we can take a look and let you know what you have in there.
Thanks Dave!
I don't have HPtuners. It looks...expensive. Is it 299 just for the reader?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It sounds like you may have something other than the GMPP tune flashed on the ECM already though, seeing 23-24psi of boost.

The code for the catalyst efficiency can be disabled, but there is also the O2 extender that is included with the SOLO high flow cat that will sometimes work at keeping the code off.
New belts and gaskets are definitely a good idea for the ones that are not part of the engine, you are in there already, perfect time to do it.
For the engine builds that we do here, we break them in with this - Engine Break-In Oil Additive - TB Zinc Plus
Transmission and Differential flush is also a great idea while you are having all of this done.
That's what worries me - Though i thought I've read the GMPP tune pushes up to 24 PSI of boost?
I'm going to try the O2 extender. I'd rather not have to tune until after a few additional upgrades.
What is the best brand of belts? Acdelco?
I've also heard that it's a good idea to replace the motor mounts. Any truth to that?
I'm looking at using Lucas break in oil - should i add the additive as well?
What are the BEST oils to use in transmission and differential after the flush?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts