Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the full story. I went to get a new battery at Walmart. While waiting they manage to activate the auto theft alarm system. I had to wait about three hours before they were able to deactivate it. I finally got the car to start. As I’m driving home I notice that the AC no longer works the cruise control no longer works. When I get home I parked it and left it running as I walker around the car to open the hood my car turned off on its own. That’s the last time it ran. I was on a time budget so I didn’t have time to take it back to Walmart to see if they could help. i’ve been trying to troubleshoot the car on my own and I have found that there is no power to some of my fuses numbers 43 and 45 which are responsible for the ECM transmission and the injectors, engine modules. My OBD reader doesn’t have power to it either. I have checked all the fuses and nothing is fried. The car will turn but it won’t fire. I’ve replaced the spark plugs, and it still won’t work. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Maybe they used an incorrect battery? If the battery is "weaker" it can cause some really weird issues.

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Premium Member
4,743 Posts
group 86 battery is OEM.
group 25 also works.

·
Administrator
17,154 Posts
Is the car an 08? There is a known issue with 08s when you pull the power like to change the battery, they have an issue when you reapply power. There is a service bulletin on this issue. Software upload at the dealer.

Changed the battery on 2008 and the key fobs suddenly don't work? (kappaperformance.com)

ondition
Some customers may comment that the key fobs are inoperative or that the TPM system is showing dashes as the reading for all four tires.

Technicians may find DTCs C0775, C0569 and B3105 set simultaneously in the RCDLR module.

In addition, the technicians may find Tire Pressure Monitoring sensors are unable to be programmed to the vehicle by adding or releasing pressure to the tire while the vehicles in the TPM learn mode.

Cause
These conditions may be caused by the following:

• The RCDLR may lose its transmitter and tire pressure monitoring data from its memory if a low voltage condition occurs on the vehicle.

• The ability for TPM learning by adding or releasing pressure to the tire has been disabled in the RCDLR.

Correction
Reprogram the RCDLR with an updated software calibration to address both issues listed above. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB using Service Programming System (SPS). As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software.

Important: If the Tech 2® could not establish communication with the RCDLR AND the programming event ended with error, attempt to reprogram in Service Programming System (SPS) by selecting "Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (TSB 08-03-16-001) with E4399 error -- Pass Thru Only".

Once the RCDLR module has been reflashed with the latest software and calibrations, the following may also be necessary:

• Relearn all keyless entry transmitters.

• Reconfigure the tire pressure placards and the tire type.

• Relearn the tire pressure sensors.

Refer to SI for the procedures to relearn transmitters, placard and tire type configuration and tire pressure sensor learn.
__

·
Administrator
17,154 Posts
The battery cable post connectors are notoriously difficult to get tight. Follow the advice above and check to make sure the battery cables are connected and tight.

You did not provide any information on the location of the car or type but if you live in a wet climate, check the grounds to the chassis and the motor. They are infamous for going bad in wet climates.

Its possible though not likely that when they changed the battery they may have impacted the connectors on the bottom of the engine bay fuse box. This is above and in front of the battery. Try wiggling them to make sure they are well seated. You did check the fuses in this box too? Again, in humid climates they can experience issues that are addressed by removing and reinserting the fuses.

The whole ilssue with the auto theft alarm system is confusing. If they had the key, all they had to do was press the unlock button? What issue did they have that requried three hours? And what did they do to "fix" the problem? This sounds very odd and perhaps is the source of your issue. The ignition lock reads the chip in the key and checks the data against what is stored in the BCM. When they match, the BCM enables the car. If the car is in the locked state and the doors are opened without first using the fob to unlock the doors, the alarm sounds and the lights flash till the unlock button is pushed. What took three hours?

Wallmart broke your car obviously. It is their responsibility to know what they are doing and NOT break your car. They need to be held accountable. But since they probably lack the knowledge to fix it, I would press them to pay to take it to a competent dealer for diagnosis and repair. Its their responsibility.

God luck

We need a good CW joke in here somewhere.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Is the car an 08? There is a known issue with 08s when you pull the power like to change the battery, they have an issue when you reapply power. There is a service bulletin on this issue. Software upload at the dealer.
I had this issue when my wife left the lights on but I had no issues with starting. Dealer software upload corrected the issues.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
No joke. Had a guy that worked on our production floor that was one taco short of a combination meal. Really great guy - just not wrapped very tight. He left our factory to go spin wrenches at the local Wal-mart and we cringed at the thought. A few months later someone at our plant had recently talked to him and found out he was fired.

He knocked a car off of the lift.

I won't just cast aspersions at Wal-mart. We have a Belle Tire just down the road from the plant that I've used several times with no problems. Same place also did brakes on my truck that my son drove at the time and two days later he told me the passenger front was grinding. Caliper was directly on the rotor - no pad or remnants of a pad. They fixed it free of charge.

Box stores and chains are only as good as the staff at the time and they tend to have more turnover than a dealership.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Changed the battery on 2008 and the key fobs suddenly don't work? (kappaperformance.com)

ondition
Some customers may comment that the key fobs are inoperative or that the TPM system is showing dashes as the reading for all four tires.

Technicians may find DTCs C0775, C0569 and B3105 set simultaneously in the RCDLR module.

In addition, the technicians may find Tire Pressure Monitoring sensors are unable to be programmed to the vehicle by adding or releasing pressure to the tire while the vehicles in the TPM learn mode.

Cause
These conditions may be caused by the following:

• The RCDLR may lose its transmitter and tire pressure monitoring data from its memory if a low voltage condition occurs on the vehicle.

• The ability for TPM learning by adding or releasing pressure to the tire has been disabled in the RCDLR.

Correction
Reprogram the RCDLR with an updated software calibration to address both issues listed above. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB using Service Programming System (SPS). As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software.

Important: If the Tech 2® could not establish communication with the RCDLR AND the programming event ended with error, attempt to reprogram in Service Programming System (SPS) by selecting "Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (TSB 08-03-16-001) with E4399 error -- Pass Thru Only".

Once the RCDLR module has been reflashed with the latest software and calibrations, the following may also be necessary:

• Relearn all keyless entry transmitters.

• Reconfigure the tire pressure placards and the tire type.

• Relearn the tire pressure sensors.

Refer to SI for the procedures to relearn transmitters, placard and tire type configuration and tire pressure sensor learn.
__
It’s an 06 and it doesn’t seems to have any of those issues. The battery was constantly draining out and I would have to jump it off anytime I used it. It never had issues when it would start from a jump.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The battery cable post connectors are notoriously difficult to get tight. Follow the advice above and check to make sure the battery cables are connected and tight.

You did not provide any information on the location of the car or type but if you live in a wet climate, check the grounds to the chassis and the motor. They are infamous for going bad in wet climates.

Its possible though not likely that when they changed the battery they may have impacted the connectors on the bottom of the engine bay fuse box. This is above and in front of the battery. Try wiggling them to make sure they are well seated. You did check the fuses in this box too? Again, in humid climates they can experience issues that are addressed by removing and reinserting the fuses.

The whole ilssue with the auto theft alarm system is confusing. If they had the key, all they had to do was press the unlock button? What issue did they have that requried three hours? And what did they do to "fix" the problem? This sounds very odd and perhaps is the source of your issue. The ignition lock reads the chip in the key and checks the data against what is stored in the BCM. When they match, the BCM enables the car. If the car is in the locked state and the doors are opened without first using the fob to unlock the doors, the alarm sounds and the lights flash till the unlock button is pushed. What took three hours?

Wallmart broke your car obviously. It is their responsibility to know what they are doing and NOT break your car. They need to be held accountable. But since they probably lack the knowledge to fix it, I would press them to pay to take it to a competent dealer for diagnosis and repair. Its their responsibility.

God luck

The 2006 solstice is located in MS. I’ve checked the ground to chassis and motor. I have checked every fuse inside the car and inside the hood. I did wiggle the fuse box wire and they appear to be seated correctly.

I’m not sure how to check the relays. Is it possible that the relays are preventing power to the fuses? I also read that there is a ground wire sitting under the battery? Could that be loose?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

God luck

It took 3 hours for them to figure out how to deactivate the auto theft. It’s a tedious 45 min procedure that they found online. When that didn’t work they tried other methods and it eventually unlocked. I spent another 30 mins trying to get it to crank. The engine would turn on but only for a few seconds before shutting off. It eventually ran for 40 mins before shutting off.

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
It’s 12.0 with the car off and 11.77 when I turn the key to the on position.
11.5v is the same as a dead battery. Sounds like something is rapidly draining the battery with the key in the ON position or the battery is bad.

·
Administrator
8,961 Posts
It is either a bad battery or a bad generator, that is not charging the battery properly. A bad generator could explain why it won't stay running also.

Reactions: chickenwire
1 - 20 of 24 Posts