Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This new mirror has received a patent and will hopefully eliminate the coupes inherent fastback design feeling of blind spots.

Disco ball-inspired side-view mirror eliminates the blind spot
(make sure you check the articles photo gallery for examples)

Next questions are; when will it be available and how or will the OEM have to be removed or simply covered?

Interesting that current mirrors only offer 15-17 degree view whereas this one is being reported to offers 45 degree.

Some might say if your mirrors are adjusted correctly its a non-issue, I say, if someone develops an invention that makes the job easier :thumbs:

Probably will equally benefit verts too when tops up.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Sounds great - basically a Fresnel mirror... However, all those photos look faked/photochopped. Hmmm.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Great invention. Only the Feds would not allow such a device on new car production.

Beats the crud out of my little spot mirrows. The coupe really needs the new design.
LJ

·
Super Moderator
7,541 Posts
This mirror is not allowed by current DOT regulations, but it wasn't that long ago that non-sealed-beam headlights were prohibited. Once the design is proven, and especially if it is demonstrated to be better, the law will be changed to allow them.

I can see the OEMs jumping on this design, as it gives the benefit of the "turn-down" mirror for parking, but without any added complication.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the product I just installed in my coupe this past weekend: Autobahn Mirror - Interior Accessories - Car Accessories - Griot's Garage
Basically it's nothing more than a convex mirror. Hope is I won't have to lean forward and look over my right shoulder ever time I want to switch lanes. Can't say it looks pretty, but if it turns out to work I'll deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts