Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any insight on how a new car without mileage is to be driven as far as highway vs. stop and go mileage or how long to "take it easy"… rules to drive by?

What type of gasoline/oil will you use? When will you first change the oil?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Break in

hojopa said:
Any insight on how a new car without mileage is to be driven as far as highway vs. stop and go mileage or how long to "take it easy"… rules to drive by?

There is a post on the forum with copies of the manual which states some breakin period do's and don'ts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

Thanks! I'll check it out!

I also sent my salesman an email to see what they rec. and I did an internet search but haven't found alot there... yet. Still reseaching...

Thank you agian!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I used to believe in one and only one type of oil : Pennsylvania grade crude due to the differences in parrafin content and structure of the base oil. Now that the two major PA companies have both gone to Texas and merged the largest user of PA crude is somewhere in OK. Today's oils have less oil than additives so that's not as important although I used to be Quaker State all the way and now use mostly Pennzoil or Valvoline. One thing that is probably still important is sticking with same brand throughout a car's life.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
really...

"Now I am going to tell you that you should NOT "baby" your car when you first get it cuz it will cause you to get horrible gas mileage"

in an email from GM sales rep. regarding new car care-???????

·
Registered
26 Posts
hojopa said:

I always abide by the manual. It will explain the procedure for a new car "break-in" period. Using their recommendations will also help with any possible warranty issues.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This will be my 8th new car and one thing the others had in common was not to drive at a steady speed for any great length of time. Example: don't put the cruise on and drive at 65mph. for 100 miles but to break the motor in at varing speeds, stop and go etc... . I've always taken it easy the first 100 miles then after that go for it the next 400 to 500 miles before taking a long road trip.
Change the oil after the first 1000 miles then every 3-5000 intervals based on manufacturer recomendations.
I don't BABY my vehicles but I do maintain them. I can't wait to see how my Solstice performs on the winding rolling 25 mile drive to work thru the country, my only concern there are the Deer I see because there isn't any traffic to deal with ( Thank you Lord for that).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts