Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 07 2.4L solstice. the clutch was bad I swapped my OEM clutch with an Exedy stage1. Replaced the pilot bearing (which was basically ground to a powder), the Exedy clutch and pressure plate, new OEM throw out bearing and had the flywheel resurfaced. I now have a "shake" that I think is coming from the transmission. It is bad at idle and is very shaky in 5th at speeds above 70.
I have another issue that may or may not be related. While deceleration in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th I get an almost grinding noise that builds then goes away. It will go away with any clutch pressure or acceleration as well. Has anyone else had these issues? I did all the work myself so I'm question if I did something wrong. from what I've researched it may be an unbalanced driveshaft but I don't want to dish the money to have it balanced if that's not the issue.

·
Registered
143 Posts
did you look at the fly wheel ? wonder if it had pits or blue spots in it mabe some cracks . ? if so even though you had it turned it may out of round once again . its like a disk break rotor . I never turn them any more they are so thin after the pads wear they may have some material left but once you resurface them heat will make them out of round once again . I have seen this a few times n fly wheels I no longer resurface them I always suggest a brand new one or I do not warranty any thing ! I resurfaced one on my pos mazda and had a shaky clutch petal and at times it seamed like it would hang up . mainly in rush hour traffic . when it gets hot , I suggest you take it to a trans shop let a tech test drive it do not tell him you just had it fixed just say you just bought it then they more then likely spend the time on the car to figure It out with out charging you for there opinion . this is what I would do If I were you .

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I've done extensive clutch replacement research (I though mine was going last summer) and the flywheel should be replaced. Our cars are too delicate to resurface it. And since you already resurfaced it, did you have it balanced? Did you have the clutch balanced? If it's bad at idle, its not your driveshaft. Furthermore using the OEM flywheel with and Exedy clutch just doesn't work. Most of the threads I've read have had the same issue when they used the OEM flywheel...whether it be brand new or resurfaced. But like Rob said, call Dave at DDM first before you tear into it again.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I have a spec 3+ and have a super weird grinding noise on deceleration only. Like you said, any clutch pressure or acceleration and it goes away but it doesn't manifest at idle.

I purchased a resurfaced FW from DDM and a slave from ebay. I had a respectable race shop around here do the work but havent been back to have them check it out. I'd love to hear what you find out.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I have a spec 3+ and have a super weird grinding noise on deceleration only. Like you said, any clutch pressure or acceleration and it goes away but it doesn't manifest at idle.

I purchased a resurfaced FW from DDM and a slave from ebay. I had a respectable race shop around here do the work but havent been back to have them check it out. I'd love to hear what you find out.
My guess on yours is your throw-out bearing. My Mustang did the same thing....had 158k on the original clutch when I sold it. But the bearing was shot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts