Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In a notice made from Pontiac to dealers today, production of exclusive retail orders to begin June 2005 with delivery on or before "October 24, 2005"

Seems they keep pushing the date! Looks like maybe we might have the frist 1000 for Halloween!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Holy Crap! Want to talk about a company absoutly trying to lose sales! Have customers put a deposit down by April 15th for sure "most before that" and have to wait over 6 months for a car! That puts the last 1000 roadster coming out probaly closer to christmas in the dead of winter for the US. BRILLANT!

Its no wonder gm keeps losing market share. Looks like they may have pushed me out of the market as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Billabongi said:
Holy Crap! Want to talk about a company absoutly trying to lose sales! Have customers put a deposit down by April 15th for sure "most before that" and have to wait over 6 months for a car! That puts the last 1000 roadster coming out probaly closer to christmas in the dead of winter for the US. BRILLANT!

Its no wonder gm keeps losing market share. Looks like they may have pushed me out of the market as well.

Something really puzzles me about this delivery date because dealer delivery of regular retail 2006 vehicles normally begins in late August/Sept. Does this mean that all retail production is delayed as well? I going to press my dealer tommorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
:cryin:
PAS22 said:
In a notice made from Pontiac to dealers today, production of exclusive retail orders to begin June 2005 with delivery on or before "October 24, 2005"
:( :cryin: :nonod: Bad, bad news...So you interpret "exclusive retail orders" as the first 1000?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
PAS22 said:
Something really puzzles me about this delivery date because dealer delivery of regular retail 2006 vehicles normally begins in late August/Sept. Does this mean that all retail production is delayed as well? I going to press my dealer tommorrow.
Sounds like it to me. Also sounds like the marketing team at either GM or Pontiac needs to be fired. What marketing team in their right mind first delays a car over 3-4 months from the expected date, then releases a ROADSTER in the dead of winter. If the first 1000 are to be released somewhere in the Oct-Dec phase that means the reg production would be released in the Jan-Feb phase. OUCH!

For GM's sake I hope thats bad info. I just do not see customers rushing out to pick up a Convertible late in the year with winter going full blast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Whoa! Slow down people...Nobody has confirmed this, and there have been numerous rumors and speculation out there before...Including mistakes.

Also, I wouldn't doubt the competition is trying to derail the marketing freight train on this one. Just take a look at that warmed over Miata; I would be scared too if I were Mazda. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
Billabongi said:
If the first 1000 are to be released somewhere in the Oct-Dec phase that means the reg production would be released in the Jan-Feb phase. OUCH!
Wasn't that when the Sky was suppose to arrive? Was Chicken Little right?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
:cryin: come on GM, I don't want a roadster in October.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
PAS22 said:
In a notice made from Pontiac to dealers today, production of exclusive retail orders to begin June 2005 with delivery on or before "October 24, 2005"

Seems they keep pushing the date! Looks like maybe we might have the frist 1000 for Halloween!
Were there any other surprises or rule changes in the notice. :blueangel Any word on when the DVD will be in the showrooms?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
Did anyone notice the word "before" in the sentence? The date is the end of the EOP. Many states require estimated elivery dates for orders, which if missed would allow the order to be cancelled. All GM legal has done is pick a nice long time frame for the program. Pontiac still intends to start shipments of the magic 1000 during June. In fact if anything, one could argue that a buyer could leave his car on the dealer's lot until October 24th before getting it and still qualify as bought during the program and get their "premiums".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Small Dealer said:
Did anyone notice the word "before" in the sentence? The date is the end of the EOP. Many states require estimated elivery dates for orders, which if missed would allow the order to be cancelled. All GM legal has done is pick a nice long time frame for the program. Pontiac still intends to start shipments of the magic 1000 during June. In fact if anything, one could argue that a buyer could leave his car on the dealer's lot until October 24th before getting it and still qualify as bought during the program and get their "premiums".

Thanks for helping clear the air. My dealer e-mailed this was the exact statement from program rules sent to him yesterday: "GM intends to produce the first 1000 exclusive retail orders starting in June 2005 and deliver exclusive reatil orders to Dealers no later than October 2005". He said the Solstice marketing calender still calls for the delivery of "initial" vehicles in late June/July. I think your right Small Dealer, October is probably the end of the program. Lets hope!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
leolaw said:
Were there any other surprises or rule changes in the notice. :blueangel Any word on when the DVD will be in the showrooms?
My dealer didn't notice anything that hasn't pretty much been already discussed here. DVD's are still scheduled for next week but I would check with your dealer the end of this week just in case they arrive early. (Is that possible given GM's track record???) I asked him if there were any changes with Solstice Premiums and he coundn't find anything, but said the programs rules are several pages long with a question and answer section.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
Gm has been using Fedex delivery to time the infomation arrival to the set dates. So if they say the 4th for the Point-of-Sale package which includes the customer viewable DVD, then I would say it will be in on the 4th.

Better grab some popcorn ( :lurk: ) and head to the dealer Monday night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Small Dealer said:
Gm has been using Fedex delivery to time the infomation arrival to the set dates. So if they say the 4th for the Point-of-Sale package which includes the customer viewable DVD, then I would say it will be in on the 4th.

Better grab some popcorn ( :lurk: ) and head to the dealer Monday night.

WORLD PREMIER VIDEO! First showing of the long awaited Solstice walk around DVD at your Pontiac dealer Monday, April 4th! (Bring your own chairs and refreshments, GM is not reponsible for acts of overexcited Solstice enthusiasts) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Thanks for the clarifications on the October issue guys :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Well, the Sky, as best as I have been able to see - has always been called an 07 model.

That would mean that the absolute earliest that it could go on sale would be Jan 1, 2006.

Rumors over at skyroadster.com have put the earliest Sky availability at April 06 (though my guess would put it later than that - especially with Solstice delays). They'd want to keep the launches fairly distinct, I'd assume, if only to keep the marketing efforts from trampling each other.

DreamerDave said:
Wasn't that when the Sky was suppose to arrive? Was Chicken Little right?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
SlipSlider said:
I just talked to my dealer in Bowmanville Ontario. He has no Idea what i'm talking about when I mentioned The Apprentice or the Early order program. Geez. Where's the communication here!! He also had no clue about the DVD. He's going to call be back when he finds out from the manager.

Is anyone else In Ontario (like the Oshawa area) on this forum that has talked to a dealership that knows about this stuff?
One thing to keep in mind is that the Canadian dealers aren't playing in the EOP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,452 Posts
Small Dealer said:
One thing to keep in mind is that the Canadian dealers aren't playing in the EOP.
Oh! ... that I did not know. Thanks for the info.

What about the DVD?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
gottahaveone said:
......... especially with Solstice delays).
I keep seeing people posting about the delays in the Solstice. I have been looking over past press reports in the Automotive News to get a handle on it. The "production" announcement for the Solstice was made in Janaury of 2004 at the Detroit Auto Show. Most reports only mentioned that it would be coming as a 2006 model. (One story actually had it as the 2006 calander year). The first story I find with a production date estimate is 3/8/2004 which reports that it would be mid-year 2005 as a 2006 model. This is repeated in a 6/21/2004 story about the end of Saturn L series production in the Wilmington plant. I think of June as being mid-year 2005. So I don't believe there has been a production delay. Now we can argue that it took to long to make the decission to produce it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,512 Posts
gottahaveone said:
They'd want to keep the launches fairly distinct, I'd assume, if only to keep the marketing efforts from trampling each other.
Funny you should mention marketing of the Sky vs. the Solstice, since I was in Times Square last night and saw a Sky "commercial" on one of the large TV screens in Times Square, when we have yet to see much on the Solstice, which is launching in just a few weeks.

Not that I'm complaining, since I figure the less info on the Solstice the better, until I get my EOP order in.
 
1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Top