Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
:agree:
This EOP is designed to get the cars on the street and in the hands of those of us who are not people associated with GM. The last GM car I bought was in 1967. If I get one of the 1st 1000, I will definitely be showing it off. People would expect the people associated with GM to brag on the car, but those of us who haven't been buying GM cars will have a greater effect on those we meet and brag on our new Solstices.
:cool:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Depreciation rant

You know, I get so sick of the argument that since foreign cars sell near/at MSRP then they hold their value better. Sure, they may sell for more used than an American car, but you PAID more for the car to begin with. All of the Edmunds/Intellichoice/Consumer Reports ratings for depreciation are skewed because they base the used value after X number of years versus its sticker price. Well on a foreign car you probably paid sticker, but on an American car you paid far less than sticker. Most of the time if you compare what you ACTUALLY paid for the car versus what it's worth in 3 or 5 years the depreciation curves become surprisingly close. You can only lose money on an item (i.e. depreciation) if you spent that money to begin with! :cuss:

Sorry for the off topic post, but I am tiring of the argument that American cars don't hold their value...

To get back on topic...I think the EOP program isn't just about getting non-GM owners to buy a Solstice, but to have the first cars go to enthusiastic, car crazy owners (as in most of the people on this forum, definitely me included!) who are going to drive the car a lot and show it off to everyone they can. Let's face it, the whole point of the Solstice is more about getting people to change what they think about Pontiac/GM (that's a Pontiac?!?!) than actually getting people to buy a Solstice. It's a halo car just like the Corvette, SSR, or XLR. I know many dealers that had a SSR or Viper or Prowler, etc. and didn't even WANT to sell the car because it was worth more to them on the showroom floor generating traffic to the dealership. They might come to look at a SSR or Solstice but leave in a Malibu or Grand Prix.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Billabongi said:
Yes, yes I have. They stay around MSRP though which is fine by me since the car actually retains its value. Unlike gm products.

You ACTUALLY found one that sold for only MSRP? Thats rare.

81 - 83 of 83 Posts