Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the Magnaflow exhaust installed on my 07 GXP this past Thursday and so far I love it. But it really is sucking the gas up. What's up with that? Should I have anticipated such a dramatic change in mpg's?

·
Registered
324 Posts
It's not the exhaust, it's your foot on the gas. You are pressing it much more to enjoy the sound. ;)

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
It's not the exhaust, it's your foot on the gas. You are pressing it much more to enjoy the sound. ;)
I will agree to that one, after riding behind this hotshoe, I bet she has left rubber everywhere just to check out the sound coming from her rear end!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also watched after the STOP sign last week!!!!!!!!!!! You go girl, enjoy that new sound, just remember, NEW TIRES WILL BE NEEDED AGAIN VERY SOON!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok i'll admit it I have been hot doggin' it a little. :devil: Today I drove almost 300 miles round trip with the hubby. I had to drive "normal" since he was with me and I guess really I'm getting better mpg. I was over 300 on the odometer and the light still had not come on. :yesnod:

I do love the new sound and the added hp.:yesnod:

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
:agree: I was going to say the same thing :cool: I still get over 30 mpg on the Interstate, but in the city I am getting waaay under 20 (~16) ... when I use to get ~22. You really never get tired of the exhaust note and it shows at the pump. :devil: :lol: Either way, it still beats driving my beast (Suburban) hands down!:willy:

What are you gonna say next ... those new tires suck when they do not last long! :lol: I am with Chili on that observation. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Had the Magnaflow exhaust installed on my 07 GXP this past Thursday and so far I love it. But it really is sucking the gas up. What's up with that? Should I have anticipated such a dramatic change in mpg's?
Had mine on my 07 GXP for about nine months -- MPG stayed about the same 25-28 in town and 31-32 highway -- but I drive hard before ... :lol:

·
Registered
376 Posts
JR:

I see where you changed your mind on the gas mileage. And yes, changing to a higher flow exhaust will improve gas mileage, not decrease it. In your case, mileage is dependent on your right foot!

Did you replace the whole exhaust system, i.e. cat back or just the muffler?

Went to NOPI today, it sucked. Very few show cars and the drags were canceled due to wet track conditions. Not one Solstice in the Show. There were several ECOTEC race cars and I got to talk with most of the crews rather extensively since they were not racing. Really friendly group of guys who really know their stuff!!!! Only Red Bull was using a direct injection engine, the remainder were using the conventional ECOTEC set-up. Most of their engines were set up to run 11,000 RPM except for the Red Bull car. One of the drag cars crew members was a computer nerd and he has been playing around with the Bosch ECU on the GXP engine and has gotten 350 HP at the rear wheels and over 400 Ft Pounds at the rear wheels with only an aftermarket CAT and 3" exhaust, no other hardware mods! He used to work for Bosch in Germany and now works for GM. I spoke with him for over 45 minutes but most of what he was explaining to me was GREEK!!!!

Got to run. Glad to hear of your new exhaust. Take care.

Frank

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Wow Frank how exciting wish I could have been there with you. I love talking to the nerdy guys you learn so much just from listening.

And yes I went with the whole cat back system. I couldn't believe the size difference in the pipes I guess I didn't realize how small ours were and how big our muffler was compared to the small size of the new one. The new pipes stick out a good inch further then the oem ones did and they have Magnaflow engraved on the sides of each of them.

The growl is just what I wanted. Midlevel deep but not beans in a can like some ricers. You can really hear it when you're in a high gear going slow and then try to accelerate.

If anyone in the Atlanta or surrounding area is interested I went to a very trusted muffler shop in Snellville. The owner "Andys" has been doing "Mufflers" for nearly 30 years. He is an ex drag racer and knows everything about everything. He was able to order the system for $543 and only charged me $86 to install it. $629 total. This was almost $220 cheaper then anywhere else I looked. Even ordering direct you still have to pay shipping and then have someone install it. If you would like contact info PM me and I'll pass it on.

One other note: when they disconnected the pipe from the cat they found that the bolts that hold them together were severly bent. One of them was so bent it had to be cut off. The other was bent at a 30% angle. Watch out for this. Andy replaced mine at no charge. Thanks Andy and Treavor you guys are the greatest.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
One other note: when they disconnected the pipe from the cat they found that the bolts that hold them together were severly bent. One of them was so bent it had to be cut off. The other was bent at a 30% angle. Watch out for this. Andy replaced mine at no charge. Thanks Andy and Treavor you guys are the greatest.
wonder what caused that?:huh:

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
The growl is just what I wanted. Midlevel deep but not beans in a can like some ricers. You can really hear it when you're in a high gear going slow and then try to accelerate.
I have noticed that after I got my solo on two weeks ago. I noticed when he revs are low and you hit the gas it gets a very deep tone! I love it. Just wished it stayed that deep when the revs get high!:lol: Hey its only a 4 cycl car! I love magnaflow too heard them on v8s and wow they rock.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have noticed that after I got my solo on two weeks ago. I noticed when he revs are low and you hit the gas it gets a very deep tone! I love it. Just wished it stayed that deep when the revs get high!:lol: Hey its only a 4 cycl car! I love magnaflow too heard them on v8s and wow they rock.
Yah, the good thing is it's still somewhat deep toned on higher RPM's but still sounds great. Unfortunately they will never sound like v8 but one can try!

;)

As for gas mileage? I was down to 18mpg the first two weeks of city driving after I put in my Solo but that was ALL me. I just couldn't help but take off from everywhere I go. I'm still a lead foot and just started highway driving (I moved further away from work) and I see my MPG growing everyday. I'm at 24.4 MPG (was 22.4 the week before last).

Before I was getting about 20 - 21 mpg I think? something like that (all city miles)

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I think I am getting 17 some mpg in the city!:lol:

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Its addicting!:yesnod:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
JR:

I see where you changed your mind on the gas mileage. And yes, changing to a higher flow exhaust will improve gas mileage, not decrease it. In your case, mileage is dependent on your right foot!

Did you replace the whole exhaust system, i.e. cat back or just the muffler?

Went to NOPI today, it sucked. Very few show cars and the drags were canceled due to wet track conditions. Not one Solstice in the Show. There were several ECOTEC race cars and I got to talk with most of the crews rather extensively since they were not racing. Really friendly group of guys who really know their stuff!!!! Only Red Bull was using a direct injection engine, the remainder were using the conventional ECOTEC set-up. Most of their engines were set up to run 11,000 RPM except for the Red Bull car. One of the drag cars crew members was a computer nerd and he has been playing around with the Bosch ECU on the GXP engine and has gotten 350 HP at the rear wheels and over 400 Ft Pounds at the rear wheels with only an aftermarket CAT and 3" exhaust, no other hardware mods! He used to work for Bosch in Germany and now works for GM. I spoke with him for over 45 minutes but most of what he was explaining to me was GREEK!!!!

Got to run. Glad to hear of your new exhaust. Take care.

Frank

That guy you were talking from the Red Bull Cobalt team, well heres what he didn't tell you, he is from Gardella racing and they will be drifting a Pontiac sponsored GXP in Formula Drift this year, the ECM he is playing with was unlocked when he got it and tuned by GMPP. Gardella Racing He is correct with the numbers but that is on race gas, same numbers that Nubbs who is sponsored by GMPP posted.

It was just announced last week.

Mobil 1 & Maxxis Tire Supports Gardella Racing in New Drift Team

Howell, NJ (Mar. 28, 2008) Gardella Racing has brought out some big guns for their first ever drift team. The teamÿpreviously announced agreements with Pontiac, GM Racing and ECOTEC Powertrain and if that weren?t enough, Gardella Racing is announcing new relationships with oil giant Mobil 1 and drift tire kings Maxxis Tire. Both Maxxis Tire and Mobil 1 will be well represented on the Pontiac Solstice GXP Drift car driven by rising drift star Ryan Tuerck.

Gardella Racing is proud to partner with first class companies committed to the future of motorsports, Mobil 1 and Maxxis Tire. stated team owner Gary Gardella. Mobil 1 has come on the team as the official oil for both the drift and drag teams and Maxxis? MA-Z1 Drift Tire has been a huge asset for the team as we prepare the Solstice GXP for the kick off of Formula D.

The Gardella Racing crew has been working around the clock on the Solstice GXP to give Tuerck as muchÿseat timeÿas possible toÿensure the Long Beach debut will be a huge success for the team and their new sponsors. As we make our debut in drifting,? added Gary, We are confident that with the support of Mobil 1, Maxxis Tire and all our sponsors, we will have a very successful season.

The First round of the Formula Drift Championship starts off in Downtown Long Beach, CA on April 12th. For tickets or more information on the series go to Formula Drift - Professional Drifting Championship

For More information:
Gardella Racing
Mobil - The Oil That's Changing Oil
DRIFT ALLIANCE (Ryan Tuerck)
Maxxis Tires
Formula Drift - Professional Drifting Championship

Team Sponsors:
Pontiac - Mobile 1 - Maxxis Tire - ECOTEC - Tech Flex - County Line Auto Body - Fordgeline Wheels - ACT Clutches - Fuel Safe - Drive Shaft Shop - Stefs - ICS Racers Tape - Wilwood - Meguiars

To me the best news in all this is to see Wilwood as a sponsor, it means maybe they will be making brakes for our cars soon.

·
Registered
527 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is some one got a magnaflow install on a 2.4l. Is it noisy inside and how does it sound. I had a flowmaster installed and I had removed, it was so noisy inside I could'nt hear the radio. I don't want make another mistake.
Al

1 - 20 of 23 Posts