Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
430hp(engine) Mitsubishi - Forced Performance FP 68HTA Kit for
Solstice GXP, Sky Redline, Cobalt SS & HHR SS with a special introductory price for the first 5 customers (est ship date 1/10/2010)
We now offer the new Forced Performance FP68HTA turbo in a kit for your car. This turbo has a billet aluminum compressor wheel that was solid modeled by experts to get 15-20% more hp than the EVO16g series and have the same quick spool-up! (about 500rpm later than your stock turbo and 900rpm quicker than the PTE series). We will be dyno testing this turbo in a car soon and expect fantastic results! See our web site DEJON | Powerhouse for details and prices. :cool:

Quote from Forced Performance “Everyone has seen or heard about Evo3 16g
turbos and TD05H 18g turbos for the Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G63 engines, our newest
turbo for this application is the FP 68HTA™ Turbocharger for DSM Flanged
Vehicle which out flows both the E316g and 18g wheels and allows for higher PR
operation without increased compressor outlet temperatures like the existing 16g
and 18g wheels. Mass flow is increased to a whopping 47lb/min which is several
lb/min greater than either the E316g or the 18g wheels are capable. Rapid spool
and large torque numbers are guaranteed by the TD05H turbine section”

·
Registered
108 Posts
Uhhm?? This is the Solstice forum but you only mention the HHR and Cobalt. In checking your site I see you are also offering this for the Sol/Sky LNF's. Why the $50 price difference between HHR/Balt and Sol kits? Curious to see the dyno runs and what really happens to the torque curve.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uhhm?? This is the Solstice forum but you only mention the HHR and Cobalt. In checking your site I see you are also offering this for the Sol/Sky LNF's. Why the $50 price difference between HHR/Balt and Sol kits? Curious to see the dyno runs and what really happens to the torque curve.
I corrected the initial post to include Kappa's
Price difference is due to the different parts in the kits. The cars FWD and RWD cars have very different downpipes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dave,
I am interested in this option. I looked on your site and see that whp goes to 371. What boost level and fuel was this at?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave,
I am interested in this option. I looked on your site and see that whp goes to 371. What boost level and fuel was this at?
That was another turbo, probably the 16g. I've installed the FP68 on my car but the weather has been too cold and slippery to test it much. It definately puts out more power than the 16g and spools up just as fast. I need a warmer dry day to reset the boost control in the ECM, then take it to a dyno.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm interested as well. Please post dyno results as soon as you can. I've normally not paid too much attention to turbo upgrade kits because the low end torque is what makes the car so much fun to drive. I'm not willing to give that up for the sake of bragging rights on top end HP which in most cases will never be utilized. Put together a kit that keeps the torque coming on close to the 3000 rpm range AND produce higher top end HP and you'll have my serious attention.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm interested as well. Please post dyno results as soon as you can. I've normally not paid too much attention to turbo upgrade kits because the low end torque is what makes the car so much fun to drive. I'm not willing to give that up for the sake of bragging rights on top end HP which in most cases will never be utilized. Put together a kit that keeps the torque coming on close to the 3000 rpm range AND produce higher top end HP and you'll have my serious attention.
If you look at the dyno graphs (tune page) on our website for the stock turbo, you'll see torque max about 3200, that's full boost. Then compare the 16g dyno graph (turbo page) and see max torque at 3400rpm. From HPT datalogs, I've confirmed the FP68 reaches max torque at 3400rpm.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just bought the FP68HTA kit! Dave, hurry up and make the weather good so you can tune that car of yours.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes and I have only 1 left at this price. The FP68 is back at list price. Unless I can make a special deal, the price will increase about $200 after that one is sold.

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
This turbo has a billet aluminum compressor wheel that was solid modeled by experts to get 15-20% more hp than the EVO16g series and have the same quick spool-up!
Really? An aluminum alloy turbo blade? I'm surprised that this would withstand the heat. Most wheels seem to be titanium or ceramic (I thought). Can you give us more info on this and its longevity?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Just so you everyone knows, the PTE Dave also sells is the turbo used in the Gardella Drift Solstice, makes right at 585 hp on race gas, and took second in the Formula Drift Nationals last year. Gary Gardella knows a bit about building Ecotec's his Red Bull Cobalt is over 1400 hp.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really? An aluminum alloy turbo blade? I'm surprised that this would withstand the heat. Most wheels seem to be titanium or ceramic (I thought). Can you give us more info on this and its longevity?
No I said aluminum compressor wheel, not turbine blade, big difference!

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just sold a kit to a Sky auto owner so we'll see. As long as the ECM tune can be modified, I don't know why not. When Vince at Trifecta gets back from vacation, I'll check with him. Till then please educate me. What can't be done?

·
Registered
447 Posts
In for updates.

Quick question regarding the power ratings - your post says 430 engine HP, but the quote from FP says 47 lbs/min mass flow which is more indicative of 445-490 engine HP depending on engine efficiency (those are the 9.5 HP per lb/min and 10.5 HP per lb/min multipliers, respectively). Could you clarify?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Turbo mfg's rate turbos different ways, often stated as what the CFM the turbo is "capable of supporting" at a specific boost pressure and efficiency. 15psi is typical but achieving this cfm at 15psi is hardly possible with a 2liter engine. Other mods can have a significant effect on air flow (an thus wheel hp as determined on a dyno) eg, intake, exhaust, cat, head work, headers, intercooler, tune, etc. Gas quality significatly affects knock and therefore the safe max boost.
When you get down to it, you have to look at all the factors. 47lbs/min may be the best they have seen, but not achievable in our cars with pump gas.

I state 430hp because that number is relative to other turbos and gives you a comparison number. It does not guarantee that you will get that. However I think it is a realistic and achievable number. What matters to me is low end torque and 1/4mile trap speed which is a great way to determine actual whp and takes away the variations in dynos, operators, etc. I've run consistant mid 12's at 111-113mph in my AWD 3250lb dry wt DSM's with the EVO16g and race gas at 27psi. The solstice can run 27psi on 93-94 octane gas, weighs about 8%less and has less drivetrain loss. I expect better trap speeds. Compare this with cars listed in your favorite mag and you'll be impressed.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts