Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's a brave new world for the big 3 auto makers with the "same as employee" pricing translating into double digit % increases for the month of July. What's next? Well GM says that it will just cut prices to a level that customers can see value in the model they pricing and not get confused with rebate or multiple discounts. What a novel approach. The big question for us here, is will this apply to the Solstice? It's clear that they (GM) can't meet the demand for the Solstice as things stand now, so on the face of it there seem little chance that the Solstice will be included in the new pricing policy for 06.(read price reduction)

Small Dealer/ Anyone else; Can you shed a little light on this issue?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
That's only for about 30 models I think (not all). Solstice was already priced low enough.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
I'd say that the Solstice is already part of the new price policy.
:agree:

GM is cutting prices on 2006 models compared to 2005 models. With a base price of $19.9K, there is no need to cut the Solstice.

Besides, these price cuts are essentially in lieu of rebates. I don't think the chances are too good that the Solstice will have any rebates for some time.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I haven’t heard anyone say that they were not going to get the Solstice because it is over priced but dealer greed could add an interesting piece to this puzzle. I’m wondering if GM will raise the MSRP when they begin calling it a 2006, or is it referred to as that already? :)

·
Premium Member
10,472 Posts
The SOL is a 2006 MY car.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If anything, I can see the price of the Sol taking off in the next couple years because of the supply/demand issue. I bet a fully loaded Sol will approach $30K by the model year 2008.

·
5,641 Posts
Soul Stiz said:
If anything, I can see the price of the Sol taking off in the next couple years because of the supply/demand issue. I bet a fully loaded Sol will approach $30K by the model year 2008.
Well with the 2006 at $27,000, add two model years, optional hard top, upgraded engine, and what ever else is up GM/Pontiac's sleeve, yea, it will approach $30K. It will have nothing to do with supply/demand.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The beauty for GM is that they don't have to raise the base price, because nobody is buying the base car. From the poll we had a while back, and some other rumors, it looks like hardly any of the Solstice's ordered to date are the base $19.9K car. In fact, most are quite well optioned.

So Pontiac can leave the base car at $19.9K for a while to get the marketing mileage out of the price, and continue to watch fully loaded cars go out the door.

Also, price creep is not likely to happen as much on the lower end cars, with the Miata as competition. GM will attack higher price ranges with the Sky as well as turbo models of both.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Small Dealer said:
Well with the 2006 at $27,000, add two model years, optional hard top, upgraded engine, and what ever else is up GM/Pontiac's sleeve, yea, it will approach $30K. It will have nothing to do with supply/demand.

Well said!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Fformula88 said:
The beauty for GM is that they don't have to raise the base price, because nobody is buying the base car. From the poll we had a while back, and some other rumors, it looks like hardly any of the Solstice's ordered to date are the base $19.9K car. In fact, most are quite well optioned.

So Pontiac can leave the base car at $19.9K for a while to get the marketing mileage out of the price, and continue to watch fully loaded cars go out the door.

Also, price creep is not likely to happen as much on the lower end cars, with the Miata as competition. GM will attack higher price ranges with the Sky as well as turbo models of both.
:agree: :agree: :agree: The base price structure of the Solstice is essentially the same as Saturn had when they first were introduced. I sold Saturns in the early 90's and we seldom had a car go out that was a bare bones unit. However, we advertised the dickens out of them. Saturn also had a true "menu" pricing...similar to us ordering our Solstice. You could get what you wanted without being gouged for unwanted items. Amazing that GM is now applying this practice to its entire line, some 15 years later.

·
Premium Member
10,472 Posts
deepdawg said:
:agree: :agree: :agree: The base price structure of the Solstice is essentially the same as Saturn had when they first were introduced. I sold Saturns in the early 90's and we seldom had a car go out that was a bare bones unit. However, we advertised the dickens out of them. Saturn also had a true "menu" pricing...similar to us ordering our Solstice. You could get what you wanted without being gouged for unwanted items. Amazing that GM is now applying this practice to its entire line, some 15 years later.
However this is not the case with the SKY.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Just Built Mine ... In Iraq!

Fformula88 said:

GM is cutting prices on 2006 models compared to 2005 models. With a base price of $19.9K, there is no need to cut the Solstice.

Besides, these price cuts are essentially in lieu of rebates. I don't think the chances are too good that the Solstice will have any rebates for some time.

I was one of the 40 alloted to buy at the Baghdad location (Camp Victory). I just sent the signed agreement and binder to the AAFES location in Baghdad and was VERY pleased by my price. I built a FULLY loaded (except OnStar)Sly / 2 tone leather and the bottom line was $22,253.50 ... after a $2500 rebate. :yesnod:

The only catch I see is that A) you must be stationed over here at least 30 days :willy: B) you must reserve the car prior to 8/14/2005 and C) they only gave the military cars sales company 40 Solstices

I was told that the rebate was only for this program, so in total I think buying the car over here saved me about $3-$4K and secured a hard to find car. A dealer in ATL tried to get me to pay $5K OVER MSRP! :willy:

At least one good thing has come from this deployment! :patriot:

PS: This is a great forum :grouphug:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
I was one of the 40 alloted to buy at the Baghdad location (Camp Victory). I just sent the signed agreement and binder to the AAFES location in Baghdad and was VERY pleased by my price. I built a FULLY loaded (except OnStar)Sly / 2 tone leather and the bottom line was $22,253.50 ... after a $2500 rebate. :yesnod:

The only catch I see is that A) you must be stationed over here at least 30 days :willy: B) you must reserve the car prior to 8/14/2005 and C) they only gave the military cars sales company 40 Solstices

I was told that the rebate was only for this program, so in total I think buying the car over here saved me about $3-$4K and secured a hard to find car. A dealer in ATL tried to get me to pay $5K OVER MSRP! :willy:

Hey. we're happy for you. You guys deserve some breaks. Thank you for your service to our country! :patriot: :patriot:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
MSG_McKee said:

I am sure you realize that kind of rebate is not the general rebates I was referring to. Sounds like an awesome deal for you on the car! Good luck on getting the Sol, and stay safe over there! :thumbs:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Editguy said:
Hey. we're happy for you. You guys deserve some breaks. Thank you for your service to our country! :patriot: :patriot:
:agree: :agree: :agree:
This is a nice benefit for you all and you definitely deserve it!!! Stay safe so you can come home to enjoy your new car!!!

God Bless All of You!!!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Congratulations and Thanks

MSG_McKee said:

That is some good news. My thanks for your service, and my thoughts are with you for your safe return.

Congratulations on securing a slot. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the car.

(I'll post my comments as to the color in the other thread you started.)

Again, thanks, and by best wishes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts