Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anybody hear this gringing noise?
Only happens in the first few minutes after start:
grinding noise when clutch is pressed. Seems to be fine when moving in gear and goes away after a few minutes/miles.

Mechanic says it is a well known GM issue with a part called Throwback Bearing, says no rush can drive with it for a while.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Did you mean throw out bearing? If so its a cheap enough part but not sure what the exact cost for just the bearing is but the slave cylinder that comes with a bearing cost like $125. The expensive part is labor because you have to drop the transmission to change it. I think if gm does the labor it's like book timed for 8 hours so ball park 950 ish parts and labor. Ddm does do the work if you can get it to them for a much better price and IMO better job as they have done several trans take out and installs and a dealership might give it to someone who's never done it on your car.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you mean throw out bearing? If so its a cheap enough part but not sure what the exact cost for just the bearing is but the slave cylinder that comes with a bearing cost like $125. The expensive part is labor because you have to drop the transmission to change it. I think if gm does the labor it's like book timed for 8 hours so ball park 950 ish parts and labor. Ddm does do the work if you can get it to them for a much better price and IMO better job as they have done several trans take out and installs and a dealership might give it to someone who's never done it on your car.
Thanks
the estimate is close to what the mechanic had estimatrd.
driving this to DMM is probably not practical for me :(

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
I recommend that you drive the car as long as it functions correctly and save your money.

If you research the history of the clutch hydraulic actuation system you will find that the hose fails at the transmission and that there is a "new" design part that is more robust in this area.

Also, finding a slave cylinder / throwout bearing of the new design is difficult to impossible due to the number of failures.

The 2.0 and 2.4 parts are different and as far as I know not interchangeable.

The real cost of the repair is pulling the driveline and transmission. I have seen costs that vairy from $900 to $1300 for labor alone.

If you do have to change it out, you are smart to also replace the clutch and pressure plate. It is cheap insurance since you have the tranny out already.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Grinding humming in waves

This is the closest thing I have read to helping me figure out what is going on with the strange grinding humming noise that starts a little after starting the engine. But the forum is a little older. Has there been any further information on how I should proceed and if I can avoid high dealer labor rates?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts