Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I want you all to know that I've been a Ford Mustang guy for 8 years.....that was until I test drove and bought a 2008 GXP T2!!! Let me just say....rocket ship! Got a few questions:

1) When the car is cold, the engine is extremely noisey...almost like rocks rattling around, until you gas is and kick the idle down, is this normal?

2) How many white T2's were built in 2008?

3) I have "aftermarket" stuff but don't know what. I know I have a cold air intake, Borla exhaust (I think its 4") and an aftermarket waste-gate. I get the swishing sound when I get off the gas. I don't know however if the GMPP has been done to it....I'm assuming it has as like I said, it's a little ROCKET!!! (If it has been done, I'm figuring I'm somewhere around 300-310hp!) How can I tell if it has been done?

4) Do I need to let the motor run for a minute when its cold before I go and do I need to "cool it down" after its been under load to let the turbo cool down? I had a Plymouth Laser back in the day and I had to do that with that turbo car.....

5) Are there anymore mods I can do and still stay under warranty?

I will be here a lot from now on!! I want knowledge! LOL.... I will post pics tomorrow of it! Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
1) Yes, the high pressure fuel pump makes quite a bit of racket when starting up

2) They didn't keep track of production except for the first 1000 cars and the coupes, and I don't think they even kept track of their color. And I have no idea what you mean by T2

3)Look at your MAP sensors and see if they are held to the manifold and charge pipe by 1 bolt or 2. If it's 2 then they are stock, if they are held in by 1 then you have the GMPP. The GMPP also has blue stickers on the sensors where the stock sensors are just black I believe

4)Yes, if you are rompping on it then it is best to let her spool down for a little bit, under normal driving conditions its not necessary

5)Other then the intake, exhaust and GMPP, not really.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
185 Posts

2) They didn't keep track of production except for the first 1000 cars and the coupes, and I don't think they even kept track of their color. And I have no idea what you mean by T2

This youtube video explains the T2:

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
The Ghost said that his T2 is white. My understanding is that they were only YELLOW in the GXP and RED in the NA's. Ghost car may be a made up T2 car.
The GMPP CAI is very noisy when starting up plus the fuel pump can also be noisy. See if the GMPP upgrade has been done and there may be a decal saying must use premium fuel on the gas door.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
1) Yes, the high pressure fuel pump makes quite a bit of racket when starting up
The HPFP makes a loud ticking sound. It does NOT sound like a 'rocks rattling around'. Not heard (of) this before. Maybe something loose in the engine - could be your aftermarket exhaust hitting the body somewhere when the car is cold and the engine idle is 'lumpy'. The HPFP is right below the oil filler cap (to the right of the 'MAP' sensor, on the photo below. Lift your hood and have someone else start the car while you listen. If your sound comes from that area, you know it's the HPFP. If not, keep looking. UPDATE: Another thought: if your turbo seals are shot, the turbine can contact the housing - maybe - before the oil pressure builds enough to center the turbine. So check the turbo area, on the passenger side, for any sounds too.

To reinforce Alan's comment #3, the MAP and TMAP sensors are circled below. This shows the factory (non-GMPP) sensors with the 2-bolt mounting:

NOTE: Just because you may not have GMPP sensors, doesn't mean that you don't have an aftermarket tune. There are MANY out there, and it's difficult - if not impossible - to determine what may have been programmed in your car without contacting the original owner(s)

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Go to search and type in SCCA T2 GXP stats

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After seeing the video, yep....it's a "made-up" T2. I didn't do the research.... I love the car anyway! But the T2 is coming off! I'm into original.....I have a 98 Mustang GT convertible right now that is yellow with white top and interior....there were 17 built with white.....only 13 are known to exhist.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The MAP sensor is the same one you have there. It is a 2 bolt. So I'm assuming it hasn't been done. Do I dare do it? How do I find out if I have an aftermarket tune on the car? I bought it at a GM dealership and they said it was all still warrantied and warrantiable..... I don't wanna loose a super aftermarket tune to one that won't be as good. I do get 21psi of boost.....

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Even though you have a made up T2 you still have a great looking and as you know a great running car. Enjoy it and have fun. I still think your warm up noise is from an aftermarket CAI. My GMPP CAI is very noisy until my car idles down. Getting 21psi boost probably means you have some kind of tune already.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate it. Is there a way to see if I have a tune on the car? Short of re-doing it with the GMPP tune? How much should I expect to pay to do the GMPP tune? I got quoted $859 today. What all does it include? I obviously wouldn't need a CAI.

As far as the start up noise....it sounds like rocks rattling around until I "blip" the throttle to idle it down. Then its fine. It willl idle at 1400rpm until blip it then it drops to 700rpm.

Do the GXP's all come with 3.5" exhaust? Mine has 3.5" and a nice rumble I might add. I was told it's Borla, but I haven't got it up in the air yet to see it. I'm thinking with the CAI, and the exhaust I'm probably around 310hp if I have a tune.

I appreciate everyone's help!

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you are getting 21psi I'm pretty sure you've been tuned. I bought a stock 08 GXP in February and I recall only getting 17psi before I got a Trifecta budget tune and now get 21psi.

The CAI and exhaust do not add to the HP and with the tune you are looking at 290-300.

Bob

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!
The rattling sound IS normal with the GMPP CAI on my GXP Coupe.
I actually kind of like the raspy sound it makes when I first start the car up in the garage. And the slight cough the exhaust note makes during shifting with the GMPP upgrade exhaust. The Sweet sounds of owning an enhanced Kappa!
Definitely if you are getting 21psi boost then you have some sort of tune done already and without enhancing your intercooler and charge tubes to do another level upgrade your probably going to be just fine for awhile.
As for stability, if it doesn't already have the DDM Backbone and Probeam, those will make your ride handle tighter. Less body flex!
Now go put some more PermaGrin miles on her and enjoy yourself!

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Go to any GM dealer and have them pull a history on the car from their database. It will list all work done by any GM dealer, including if you have the GMPP tune.

You can pick up the tune kit from Crate Engine Depot for $400. Take it to a dealer for installation. The price is between $50 on the low end up to about $200 on the high end.:thumbs:

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
OK so you don't have the GMPP tune, but you certainly have A tune. You would NOT get 21psi otherwise.

As I said before - apart from the performance, there's no way of detecting what aftermarket tune you have. In fact tuners go to great lengths to ensure that, so service depts don't point at a tune as a way to negate your warranty.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I used to peak at 20-21 psi on the stock tune, and then it would hold a sustained 17-18 after that. After the GMPP tune I have peaked as high as 24 psi a couple of times, but usually around 21-22 psi with it holding around 19psi. Seems to be very weather dependent. Runs like a beast on days that are sunny and in the 80's... cool damp days see a definite drop in performance.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I appreciate it. Is there a way to see if I have a tune on the car? Short of re-doing it with the GMPP tune? How much should I expect to pay to do the GMPP tune? I got quoted $859 today. What all does it include? I obviously wouldn't need a CAI.

As far as the start up noise....it sounds like rocks rattling around until I "blip" the throttle to idle it down. Then its fine. It willl idle at 1400rpm until blip it then it drops to 700rpm.

Do the GXP's all come with 3.5" exhaust? Mine has 3.5" and a nice rumble I might add. I was told it's Borla, but I haven't got it up in the air yet to see it. I'm thinking with the CAI, and the exhaust I'm probably around 310hp if I have a tune.

I appreciate everyone's help!
YES, so go back to tomatosoup's post where he circles the STOCK sensors. If you have a GMPP tune, those will both have a blue sticker and say bosch, and be held down by a single bolt. Also, since it's dealer installed, they are to put the GMPP sticker up on your under-hood showing the performance part number mod, right where your stock decal is, drivers side, plus the fuel door opening sticker.

and yes, this car is a bit noisy on start up until you kick it down. Good to see a Ford...Mustang person. I've always wanted a '69 Mach 1 and currently own a pretty modified Bronco, but this car (which is actually the wife's fun car) is so much fun I'm not sure the Mach 1 will ever happen.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
The LNF is particularly noisy on start up but pretty good once it idles down. There was also a fuel pump noise issue until they installed a sound deadening cover around it, I think in the 2009 model year.

Boost pressure varies with altitude, but I'd think it was a pretty good bet you had a tune. Let us know if you see the one bolt sensors - they are easy to spot.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
YES, so go back to tomatosoup's post where he circles the STOCK sensors. If you have a GMPP tune, those will both have a blue sticker and say bosch, and be held down by a single bolt.
Let us know if you see the one bolt sensors - they are easy to spot.
Sorry guys, but asked and already answered:

The MAP sensor is the same one you have there. It is a 2 bolt. So I'm assuming it hasn't been done. Do I dare do it? How do I find out if I have an aftermarket tune on the car? I bought it at a GM dealership and they said it was all still warrantied and warrantiable..... I don't wanna loose a super aftermarket tune to one that won't be as good. I do get 21psi of boost.....

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay....another question. This morning it was chilly (55). I pulled out into traffic thinking no problem....i have hp...wrong!! The car fell on its face! I had 23 lbs. of boost, but no power. I watched to see if the rpms went up, but they didnt ao i know the clutch wasnt slipping. Does the car "protect" itself when its cold? I know my coolant temp was below 140...just wondering......

·
Registered
346 Posts
First off I would suggest that you let your cars engine warm up a bit before you tromp on the gas,the turbos oil should be warmed up before you get into boost.Next like others have already told you ,if you are getting a 21psi on your boost you defiantly have some sort of tune,the psi range can change depending where you are geographically sea level wise .As far as I know about 16 psi is the highest you get without some sort of tune noting that sea level does change it a bit.If you read these forums I think you will see how that would affect the boost level.Good luck with your toy,it looks great,have fun and be safe (not be have).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts