Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody

Long time lurker here

I purchased an 07 gxp almost a month ago, my job requires me to travel so I have only driven it for 3 days. I bought it while I was away online and flew home to take delivery. I enjoyed the hell out of it for the 3 days I drove it, Parked it covered it up and flew back to work.

For a bit of history, it was not an impulse buy, at the time I owned a 1993 honda del sol. I had it for about four years, it had a crashed rear quarter panel, black front end while the rest of the car was primer black. The stock little tires, it looked like a total piece of ****. A piece of **** with maybe close to 400 ponies, I had everything done to it motor wise and light suspension work. Took me about 2 years to finish it, had the block machined, forged rods, pistons, head blah blah. All the go fast electronics, engine management, wideband controllers, 3 bar sensors, boost by gear, launch control. I tuned it myself, I never raced it I never dyno it, it was just a toy that I had.

It was stupid fast but eventually it turned into my daily driver and then I realized it was a terrible car, lots of noise, incredible torque steer which is to be expected. The worse was the attention, every Japanese fanboy's buttholes got wet when the blow off valve went off. It also brought negative attention from the state police, long story short I practically gave it away, I wanted to get something GM anyway.

I wanted a roadster without the attention and this came along, its almost like I am invisible, nobody cares and its GREAT. Also helps I always wanted one since the turbo model was introduced.

It will never be as fast as the Honda in a straight line, but it doesn't matter the Honda couldn't turn and things didn't get crazy until 5200 rpm. Enough about that (video below at low boost)

Potato Cam

Anyway needless to say, 260bhp is not enough, I will be back home in 2 next week and will begin on it right away. I should have a dyno video 2 saturdays from now hopefully at over 300 horsepower.

Day 1

Day 2

:thumbs: if anybody is in the northeast and willing to take me along for road coarse run LMK

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Glad to get to know ya! Enjoy the ownership of a rare American roadster.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got my trifecta tune emailed to me, unfortunately I am 1k miles away from the car.

All so I am thinking of flushing the radiator and replacing the coolant with regular green coolant. These engines will not be hurt by it and I have ran high horsepower cars at 230 degrees all day at 30 pounds of boost and have not had any problems. This is my first american car and it might be a myth but I have heard terrible things about dexcool and water pumps.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Early days of dexcool were troublesome. Last 5-8 not an issue.

Welcome. You picked the right color also!

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
It will never be as fast as the Honda in a straight line,
Don't be too sure about that......depends on what you do to it. :devil:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many variables play into that.^^

I will still flush it and at least put in new dexcool, it has 36k miles and I am a bit worried about the water pump. Thinking about buying the tool and service guide just in case I have to do that.

I think I have the differential leak, I can just bring it in as part of the recall correct?

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Shouldn't have an issue with the seal recall. I bought my 07 N/A about a year ago from a used car dealer (a branch of a Ford dealership) and they actually sent it out for that recall before they even put it on their lot.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
I will still flush it and at least put in new dexcool, it has 36k miles and I am a bit worried about the water pump. Thinking about buying the tool and service guide just in case I have to do that.
Just posted this elsewhere, but deserves a repeat here: DDM Waterpump replacement howto

Read down the thread for cheap tool sources.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I am very familiar with tuning, I was looking at the HPtuners products. Being stock and my first rwd car I figured I take it easy and learn how to properly drive it first before I start adding the big power adders. Also on the Honda I went power first then suspension... not a good idea. I like the suspension so far but it needs better tires for sure. Maybe a slight drop

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At the airport, my backpack is stolen. With my cintiq, air card, PS vita and trifecta cable inside

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Drove the car for 5 days before I had to leave the country again, first thing was that somebody stole my antenna. Why someone would do that is beyond me, but yea its gone. Then somebody backs into me and then after the car is on full contact with my quarter panel continues to hit the gas. I was pissed but I really don't feel like dealing with insurance etc in the middle of traveling so I just let it be. To finish it all off the day before I leave the coolant light comes on, great its at 36k and I have a feeling the waterpump is taking a crap. I let it sit overnight and I didn't see any coolant on the floor or around the motor, maybe its burning I don't know.

Those are the bad,
I did get another cable from trifecta and installed the tune, haven't been able to dyno it yet just been to busy. Regardless it is making over 300 horses to the crank even if it dyno at 280hp at the wheels so I am happy. I opted for only one tune, I don't like having multiple tunes on turbo cars. I find it pointless, how fast it goes is dependent on my right foot, not what button I push on the dash. I tried the multiple tune thing on my Honda and ended up always driving with it on.

I also didn't want to have to have traction off to get full power or hinder cruise control since I do use it. I was happy with the performance the first few pulls where WOW, then I got used to it and now I want more. My Honda made about the same torque a dying mule makes below 5000rpm so while its not faster by any means it is a lot more fun to drive.

And also got rid of the tires

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Watch yourself with taking it in and needing to have any type of powertrain type recall done.....they may be instructed to pull your tune codes and if they don't match what was shipped with your car....no dice....

Just an FYI......

I've been told by my dealer (of course I still have warranty left) that any power train repair....even a wheel bearing and they might be instructed to pull the tune codes.....and if they don't match what was put in at the factory, my warrantys are all done.....

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea I know but there is no warranty, the factory warranty is only 5 years and I didn't purchase the warranty at the dealer. To be honest after I did my own inspection of the car I am glad I didn't. They gave me the car fully serviced and it wasn't even close, I did it myself pretty much the second or third day I had the car. The rear diff recall is something I can also do myself now that I lifted it and seen what they do if need be.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright so I been driving it and I have to say I this car is fantastic. I know a lot of people complain about the cheapness of the interior. I think its perfect, I come from the Honda world, the obd1 Honda world. Those interiors are bland and boring so I think its great.

I was looking at a few cars when, an s2k, z3 and a mini. The mini was meh but the interior on the turbo model is a damn disaster. The supercharged one just doesn't have power and when the top is down it looks really weird. The z3 just didn't have the power either, felt great and is more of a usable car but the lack of power and the difficulty of getting more turned me off.

The s2k was just too expensive, 26k for 52k miles for a 2001, the interior is no better than the solstice. It just comes in better colors, I know the power potentials are way better but it will cost 20 times as much to get the s2000 to 300 horsepower than the solstice and it makes no torque.

I changed the tires and added a tune and wow, all I can say is wow. It turns like nothing else I ever driven. Turns that my turbo sol will understeer on at 60 this thing will do easily at 90mph. No tire squeal nothing, I am baffled this car got such terrible reviews. The chassis is awesome, at 150 mph its stable, smooth and the engine doesn't sound too stressed. I have felt no chassis flex what so ever. Walks s2k like they are sitting still and I had a rx8 try and like it was like it was sitting still.

I am trying to get more power though, I will email trifecta when I am stateside again and see if there is anymore I can let lose from the stock configuration. I did ask for an aggressive tune but We have 93 octane here so maybe he can be more aggressive on the timing. I will change the downpipe and exhaust but power gains from those will probably be minimal. Not touching the intake, I have yet to see an intake actually make power when actually on a dyno. On hot days with a hot engine they actually lose power.

He has an e85 tune, I am not sold on it, I setup my Honda for it but as I did research it doesn't really have a real benefit. It cost just as much as regular gas, but consumes 30 percent more. So its actually more expensive than 93, it wasn't transported or stored properly it can ruin your engine. Better off with a water to meth kit and run premium fuel. Cheaper too

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I changed the tires and added a tune and wow, all I can say is wow. It turns like nothing else I ever driven. Turns that my turbo sol will understeer on at 60 this thing will do easily at 90mph. No tire squeal nothing, I am baffled this car got such terrible reviews. The chassis is awesome
It is pretty decent stock but is too soft and needs a few things to really make it shine in the handling department. Maybe that should be your next area to play with as you obviously value good handling.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts