Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the 6 cd changer am/fm monsoon system,and i am happy with the power and fidelity.what bugs me is there must be something wrong with the head unit,so i would like to replace it with one as close to what i have as is possible.really dont care about bluetooth,backup cameras,etc,and if its not double DIN i could use the storage space.anything i need to watch out for in buying the new unit?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
after seeing the price of all the extras needed to interface with the computer ,steering wheel controls,etc.im really thinking about getting an OEM radio.other than the dealer unlocking it so it would work in its new home its pretty much plug and play itsnt it? does the dealer unlock it before or after installation?i would keep what i have now but think its got a short somewhere,it changes bands and quits playing cds and goes to radio intermittently and that drives me crazy...

·
Registered
7,513 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
wow, that's a good deal. I have the stock in both of mine and I haven't had the urge to change. yet.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks,im thinking a new one is the way to go.when you get to the aftermarket stuff the cost of accessory harness,etc adds up pretty fast.and by the time you pay the dealer to reprogram a used one and wait for them to do it,might as well buy new.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Most of the used radios were as much, if not more, than that new one I posted!

(In case you didn't know, Source One and Factory OEM, bought up all the leftover parts from the factory shutdown. All were new parts waiting to be installed into cars on the line.)

Only one warning, I can't tell for sure if that was a Monsoon, or non-Monsoon radio (the difference being the output level from the radio). In the photo, it doesn't look like there's a cooling fan inside the top plate, which makes me believe it's Monsoon and so IS good for you. You might want to check with them on the phone first though.

If you get it, and it's a non-Monsoon, your turn signal and door-open chimes will be really loud!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ive looked online and on various websites.the part # that GM sent me doesnt match any of them.is there a difference in the connectors,etc. that would make it hard to put in the radio from a 2009,it looks like thats whats available.my part # according to GM(radio is still in car) is25848402.its a 6 cd changer with am/fm,aux.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
There's no rhyme or reason with the part numbers. All the Solstice radios are interchangeable given that they are Monsoon (or not, as you need).

Why not get the one from Source1 that I linked. It *IS* brand new & unused.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Brand new > used

·
Registered
756 Posts
OEM is plug and play, yes. If you get a used one, the dealer will need to reprogram after you install it.

If you get a new one, e.g. from Source1 or FactoryOEM, it will 'learn' your car the first time it's plugged in. No programming reqd.

Here: 2009 Genuine Pontiac Solstice Am FM Radio CD Player 25837002 | eBay
Really? Maybe the bowtie is different, but I got a refurbished "new" radio back then for my G6 (did a 2008 to 2006 retrofit for the AUX), it would go into "Calibrate" mode. It will work but the volume level will be messed up and steering controls won't work properly.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
called source one.they were unable to tell me for sure if it was a monsoon although it has an amp plug.they also claim its for a 2009 and the plugs would be different.anyone here switch a 2009 radio into a 2006 solstice?if so will everything plug up and work?(would be ok if i had to have it programmed by the dealer at that price...)

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
I have an '09 Sky radio in my '08 Solstice, works fine. Nothing changed AFAIK.

If you can take photos of your connector I can tell you if they are the same as later years. (If the connectors are the same, I'm sure the wiring will be too - based on the schematics I have.)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
really not wanting to pull the dash apart until i have a radio to go into it.if the connectors have changed could i cut them off the old radio and splice them to the new one(soldering them together of course)without too much trouble?or do you think i might be causing more trouble for myself as far as computer interface,etc?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts