Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just got home form working the autoshow, and I have some relatively new info on the solstice. I am good friends with the people who are right beside the solstice "guarding it". (they do not know anything about the car, and are payed to say " we cant say anything about this car." So if you guys go there, just realize that they really dont care about it, and are just doing their jobs- They cannot give information. I am good friends with all of the "guards" and I was able to get REAL close to the car before the public came in. The lights were dim, and nobody was in there except for 4 or 5 people, including myself. So I was talking with the "guard" joking with him. I was right beside it, up close and personal. The first thing I noticed is that the solstice on display is the 2004 NAIAS show car, (the one Lutz drove out.) How lame! The car is relatively rough, but clean in a weird way. I am 6,2 and there is absolutely NO WAY. and i mean NO WAY somebody my size can fit into this car. I AM PISSED OFF BEYOND BELIEF. The silver pods behind the driver and passenger seats are fake, and do not lift up. just there for show. There is nothing in the trunk, (i didnt see it) but the guy did, and said it had the "hump." From looking at pictures, and seeing it in real life, pictures do the car no justice. the production version looks exaclty like the concept. In pictures, you can distinguish the differences, but not in real life. Also, there WILL be an optional luggage holder from GM accessories, and the car will be 177hp with 166 lb ft torque. Back to that height topic again. If i were to sit in it, the windshield would be below my eyes, and i would not be able to see because it would be in the way. The rear honeycomb grill design actually goes through into the back of the car, unlike todays version where it is plastic and it does not go through. ohh ya, almost forgot. in the cockpit, there is a very very small, built in emblum built into the side of the radio that says, "SOLSTICE, 1/1000." yes thats right, there are at least 1,000 driving solstices driving around.

Another buddy i know who was "guarding" said he heard the Solstice while setting up the display, and it sounded like a honda civic, or a "lawnmower... high and off pitch." - Doesnt sound promising-

I am working on sitting in the car, or open the trunk in the mornings around 7am, when nobody is in the huge hall. The sky is no longer in Toronto because it had to be flown to California for something, not sure but it was "important." The hummer 3 is there, and they are also sending it over to Cali on sunday night. I also found out that you will not be able to use your GM visa dollars on this car because of limited production, and the fact that it is the first year of production. Ground clearance is 4.9 inches from the bottom plastic guard (which was scratched and dented to hell) I will be taking pictures this wednesday, and probably by later this week i will have them uploaded on the site.

More informatin to follow... stayed tuned.

·
4,592 Posts
EDITED: Wait, I just realied you said "if I were to sit in it". How can you make the claim you won't fit in it if you haven't sat in it???

previously posted before edit:
I'd be interested to know if you've ever sat in a newer generetion miata, if so, could you draw a comparison to how you fit in it and how you fit in the Solstice. Sounds like some bad news for the tall guys.

Wonder how his height issue plays in to the mule test drives where they said tall guys would fit?

RODEO

·
5,600 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
Jimbo, was there a point, or is that the point - no point, or just showing us the Sol that dylan speaks of? Or maybe you forgot to type something?

thanks
RODEO

·
Registered
527 Posts
In the car above, Lutz's head appears to poke above the windshield frame. Not encouraging for a tall person. Lutz is 6'3" isn't he? If I was as tall as Lutz, the car would not be an option. At 6'0", this picture still makes me nervous. But, I fit fine in the Crossfire. I wish GM would let people actually sit in the car!

On the other hand, I've never laid eyes on a seat that couldn't be lowered. Have welder:will modify.

Rick and I need our own "mod" smiley holding a blowtorch...

·
Registered
6 Posts
well remember this is not a porshe, im pretty sure we are going to find some flaws, if the car was perfect, we would not be paying $19,995 for it. On a side note im only 5'6~7 to i should fit nice and cozy in thier ;)

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
The Saturn Sky when I asked where it was they told me Chicago :brentil:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm 6' and I fit in the car with room to spare.

Not saying you will/won't fit because although 2" isn't a lot of difference, you could have longer/shorter legs, longer/shorter torso.

But I was very comfortable in the car.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Thanks for the update dylan. Here are a few random comments....

We have MANY indications that people 6'2" or 6'3" will fit fine in Solstice.

Not sure what you mean by VISA dollars but some of the credit cards rebate you direct (no involvement with dealer) and would not be effected by any car. If it's GM card we believe that too will be OK.

Are silver pods you refer to the small circles on the trunk lid? If so those are where the top attaches so they do not lift up.

I really doubt it will sound like a lawn mower so that guard was way off.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
One word of caution. Don't get too workled up over the 2004 NAIAS car. Its a good idea of what the Sol will be, especially visually. However, it is a custom built showcar and is by no means exactly like what the final production Solstices will be like.

As for the dash tag, it doesn't mean they have made 1000 Solstices. It simply means that it is the first of 1000, which in itself doesn't mean much at all. GM wouldn't have built 1000 prototype cars.

Other people have asked tall people to sit in Solstices and found that they appear to fit in it alright too! Nearly all indications of the car lead us to believe there will be room for taller drivers. Maybe you would fit better in it too if the seat were adjusted.

·
Registered
180 Posts
In Canada , it is GM Visa card.
No Sky, WTF! The Toronto show is suppose be on par with Detriot
"The CIAS is one of only 2 "Internationally Sanctioned" auto shows in North America, the other is in Detroit"
"The CIAS is the largest Internationally Sanctioned auto show in North America…covering over 850,000 sq.ft"
I guess you can write anything you want.

When I sat in S2000, I had enough height but the seats are to narrow, 6-2 250.
Sat in a Z4 and it was a perfect fit!!!!!!!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Auto Show

I just watched about a 3 minute segment on the Canadian "Prime" TV channel coming from the Auto Show in Toronto with a GM Marketing Exec talking about the Solstice. Mentioned would see it in June, automatic available 6 months later, the two tone interior was standard, 170 HP, only a convertible offered. As usual some correct and probably incorrect info.
The front hood was up exposing the engine. Anybody attending the show have they had the front hood raised?
The show was just called "Auto Show" . GM was one sponsor so the show had a lot of GM cars.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
The other thing with roadsters I notice that you feel like your head is too high or the windshield is too low. I'm only 5'8" and I got that feeling when I sat in Z4, TT, Miata, crossfire.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
dylan01 said:
The silver pods behind the driver and passenger seats are fake, and do not lift up. just there for show.
I'm not sure what you mean by silver pods. What do you think they are supposed to do? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
AeroDave said:
I'm not sure what you mean by silver pods. What do you think they are supposed to do? Just curious.
As Ff88 said above he might be refering to the AFBTS anchor points. If so they're not supposed to move. Also as we've seen on older pre-production models they're actually just silver covers, and are missing the holes for the anchors to fit in.

Also Bob is 6'2" and I don't think he'd have his baby built for him to not be able to fit in it. Also AztekzRpurty got one of the show reps to sit in the Solstice and let him take pics. That gentleman was 6'2" and looking at the pics of him in it I don't see a problem.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=360&sort=2&cat=3021
http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=358&size=big&sort=2&cat=3021

Supposedly the Sky wont be at the CIAS because it's headed to Chicago for the Oscars, some sort of pre-oscar charity event. It's at CIAS for media day, but after that it's supposedly leaving before the show opened.

·
Registered
180 Posts
brentil said:
Also Bob is 6'2" and I don't think he'd have his baby built for him to not be able to fit in it. Also AztekzRpurty got one of the show reps to sit in the Solstice and let him take pics. That gentleman was 6'2" and looking at the pics of him in it I don't see a problem.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=358&size=big&sort=2&cat=3021QUOTE]

Maybe 6-2 but 150lbs :willy:
That last time I saw 150 was about 35 years ago

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
airbalancer said:
brentil said:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=358&size=big&sort=2&cat=3021QUOTE]
Maybe 6-2 but 150lbs :willy:
That last time I saw 150 was about 35 years ago
Yes, but the topic currently of concern I was trying to address is that people who are 6'2" are too tall. Looking at those images though shows a man who is 6'2", and his eyes are below the windshield rim. If you want to know if girth wise someone would fit, you should try sitting in a Z4, from the interior space specs it's closer to the Z4 then it is the NB Miata.

·
Registered
180 Posts
brentil said:
Yes, but the topic currently of concern I was trying to address is that people who are 6'2" are too tall. Looking at those images though shows a man who is 6'2", and his eyes are below the windshield rim. If you want to know if girth wise someone would fit, you should try sitting in a Z4, from the interior space specs it's closer to the Z4 then it is the NB Miata.
Z4 was great for size. I wanted to take it home
NB Miata they had to get a crow bar to get me out :lol:
S2000 head room was fine but seat to narrow

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pontiac forgot one MAJOR thing when designing the front of the solstice. The license plate frame!!!! Where will it go? It will completely DESTROY the front end, they will have to use tiewraps or something crappy to hold it onto the grill which will prevent air flow. :leaving:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts