Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the St.Louis Auto Show. Some people have expressed some concern over the lack of trunk space, According to the actor/spokesperson Pontiac was working on a exta/seperate compartment but when I asked him what exactly that would be he wouldn't comment any further on the subject. So what,where is anyones guess. Also he said the Sol would be $26,000 not $24,000 fully loaded and the hosepower would be 177 not 170 as mentioned in the brochure. He also mentioned one option I have not heard of on here. It was a fluorescent vf gauge? It would be at the top of the dash in the middle and tell you varies things about the car such as oil,gas milage etc. Anyone know anything about this? Also get this, he went to the promo party and drove a Sol with the production top up. I asked him if he could get a picture and post here. He didn't say anything definite so we'll have to wait and see. He took my name and address and is supposed to be sending me the info on the car when it is released somewhere around two weeks are so. Will post when I recieve it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
summersolstice said:
.... Some people have expressed some concern over the lack of trunk space, According to the actor/spokesperson Pontiac was working on a exta/seperate compartment but when I asked him what exactly that would be he wouldn't comment any further on the subject. So what,where is anyones guess. ..
That's interesting.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
summersolstice said:
... Also he said the Sol would be $26,000 not $24,000 fully loaded and the hosepower would be 177 not 170 as mentioned in the brochure. He also mentioned one option I have not heard of on here. It was a fluorescent vf gauge? It would be at the top of the dash in the middle and tell you varies things about the car such as oil,gas milage etc.
The 177 hp has been mentioned at various shows. From looking at the information GM has posted on their website the same engine varies among vehciles, and they seem to quote the lowest number... so 7 extra horsepower is not out of line from what we hav seen from GM.

The VF gauge... that's the drivers information center. And, if it's shared with the Cobalt (as has been mentioned on here many times) then it is located in the bottom of the tach gauges, which is on the right.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
VF gauge? Sounds like a vacuum florescent display. I know the HUD in my GTP featured a VFD... but that sounds just too good to be true. I'll accept that he was just talking about the tach-mounted DIC.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
He took my name and address and is supposed to be sending me the info on the car when it is released somewhere around two weeks are so.
I've waited this long. I suppose I can wait TWO MORE WEEKS or so! Jives with the rummered February 28 order date.

·
Registered
76 Posts
summersolstice said:
....... According to the actor/spokesperson Pontiac was working on a exta/seperate compartment but when I asked him what exactly that would be he wouldn't comment any further on the subject.
Now, THAT is interesting. :thumbs
I wonder if the spokesperson actually knows something or was just blowin a little smoke up your skirt?? :lol

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The extra storage compartment sounds like the add on storage pod we have seen other rumors about!

The VF guage sounds like the DIC. Certainly a handy feature, but I would still like a few real guages. :thumbs

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
I wonder if the add on compartment uses those winglet attachment points somehow?
I certainly hope not, because then if your using an external storage device you wouldn't be able to put up the top. What do you do if you are caught in the rain?

·
Registered
180 Posts
In 2 weeks , the Toronto show starts on the 18th
"The Canadian International AutoShow is now one of the biggest names on the worldwide Show circuit. The Organisation Internationale des Constructeurs d'Automobiles (OICA) designation affirms this status and places us among elite company such as Paris, Detroit and Tokyo."

Maybe GM will show so something at the Toronto show

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Maybe GM will bring the '02 concept to the Canada show. After all, that's the one on GM-Canada's website! :devil :jester

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

2KWK4U said:
Maybe GM will bring the '02 concept to the Canada show. After all, that's the one on GM-Canada's website! :devil :jester

HAHAHA I wouldent doubt it. Even last year Toronto had the concept car there, despite the "production car" available. If GM shows the concept car once again I will be soo angry. :rant When you think about the Concept car and its features, they are soo far fetched from what it turned out to be. Oh ya, a source I know was at a underground meeting with GM 2 months ago and they had the hardtop concept there. Is this a sign of something to come?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went to the show on Friday afternoon and the "spokesman" who was guarding the sol was horrible. He didn't touch the car saying it was a handbuilt production unit and it was fragile. When asked questions about the top, he would act out putting it up, but would not under any circumstances open the trunk, lift the passenger seat or anything else.

He said there was 1.4 cubic feet of storage in the trunk that would be enough for a ukelele, a bottle of champagne and a book of poetry. He repeated this many, many times.

When asked about the compartment behind the pass. seat, he said not to worry about it because it was only big enough for a book of peotry.

He said he personally was the "teacher" of the facts about this vehicle and if given our name and email he would send details to us as soon as released, so that the dealer wouldn't "scam" us. Said he put the top up on the sol including pegging the side wings back and it took a little effort, but wasn't difficult.

When asked how to get in the trunk with the top up, he said that you had to press a button on the key fob to release the side wings and then push the top forward and then lift the lid back. Never demonstrating, only telling with his hands.

The car itself was the black model positioned on a slanted display with one door open. It had the new XM antenna, which he pointed out.

He challenged anyone to find a 4 cyl. with as much torque as this engine had. He said that fully loaded would be about $26,000. He did say that the Sol would be on sale in the Summer as in "Summer Solstice".

I was disappointed, not only in the presentation of a soon to be released vehicle, but the Sky was AWOL in St. Louis. Saturn said that we weren't a big enough show to bring it here as we were competing with Chicago and Philly.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
For being the 'teacher' of all things Solsti he siad a lot of stuff we've never heard from anot other speaker. I woner how valid his words are?

·
Registered
10 Posts
He also said that Pontiac now held the record for lowest ground clearance with the Solstice. He said it was just a tad under lower than the Corvette.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
He seems awfully concerned about putting his poetry books into the car! :lol

He did reiterate the ability to remove the wings with the key fob. Question is, what do you do when you order the base car without the power locks? I doubt it would still come with a key fob just for the wings!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Fformula88 said:
He seems awfully concerned about putting his poetry books into the car! :lol

He did reiterate the ability to remove the wings with the key fob. Question is, what do you do when you order the base car without the power locks? I doubt it would still come with a key fob just for the wings!
I pointed that out after I heard the key fob thing at NAIAS as well. It would lead one to believe that power locks would be standard then, if a key fob unit is needed to release the roof.

What happens when the battery is dead in your key fob and you need to open your trunk? I've got to believe there is a manual release still somwhere... but I'm hoping it's not the tag in the center console.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
rlhammon said:
I pointed that out after I heard the key fob thing at NAIAS as well. It would lead one to believe that power locks would be standard then, if a key fob unit is needed to release the roof.

What happens when the battery is dead in your key fob and you need to open your trunk? I've got to believe there is a manual release still somwhere... but I'm hoping it's not the tag in the center console.
I'd hope they have a manual release in it, even if all cars have power releases. Not only if the battery in the fob is dead, but the car's battery, or the solenoid that releases it fails, etc.

·
Registered
753 Posts
at the philadelphia show the demonstrator showed us a manual trunk lid release that was in the little 'body colored' storage area between the two seat uprights

1 - 20 of 42 Posts