Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
PATIOTRAY said:
Hey- Been lurking here a loooonngg time, finally decided to sign up. I think this guy on spyderchat called mr2spyderman has some new info. I'm attempting to link to the thread, not sure if I'm doing it right :confused

Ok, I think I've got it!

http://spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17650
Thanks for the link and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Here's the quotes incase they disapeare.

I saw the Saturn Sky last month and it is a total piece of ****. For starters, it takes 2 full minutes to lower/raise the top:

First - push the button on the remote that pops the trunk open (reverse open like a clamshell)

Second - pull the top out of the trunk

Third - Close the trunk lid

Fourth - Get inside the car and close the two latches that hold the top to the windshield frame (like the Spyder)

Fifth - get out of the car and push down the two snaps (one on the driver's side and one on the passenger's side) that hold the rear flaps of the top to the trunklid.

This was one of the cars I saw during a Marketing study group. The other vehicle was the Pontiac Solstice. They are essentially the same car with slightly different sheet metal.
Well, considering it's a convertible, one would think that the engineers would've designed a better top. I mean, they have decades of other cars to reference and may cars on the market now with much better designs.

The top was my biggest complaint. My others are:

1 – I’m 5’10” and I have a hard time sitting comfortably in the vehicle
2 – The controls for the windows are on the door panel behind your elbow, so you have to reach BACK to lower/raise the windows
3 – It actually has LESS storage capacity than the Spyder. The top takes up the entire trunk when folded down.
4 – The car claims to have leather interior, but the door panels lack anything but hard plastic (very uncomfortable).
5 – The emergency brake sticks up from the center console about 6 inches when not in use and 8-9 inches when in use. This will surely get in the way for the passenger and driver.
6 – No center armrest. It’s the same story as the door panels. The center armrest, or lack there of, is sure to bother the driver.
7 – The pod. During the walk around, the rep showed me a Pod-like contraption that attaches to the rear trunk lid for added storage. He mentioned that it is a convenient alternative to the “traditional” trunk and mentioned that the accessory would be moderately priced at $600-$700. I said to him: “So let me get this straight, You want to SELL me a Pod to attach to the outside of the car, because your engineers were to stupid to design a trunk into the vehicle?” Needless to say he had no response.
8 – Run flat tires. This car has NO spare tire. Just like the trunk, the engineers designed the car without room for a spare tire. An optional inflator kit was an additional accessory. By the way, who sells run flat tires? So you get a flat on a weekend trip and you’re stranded without a store that sells a replacement. Dumb idea.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
It's kind of funny because he keeps saying negative things about it, but everyone else is like "ohhh that looks nice," or "we live with that every day with our MR2s, nothing new."

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem, thanks for the welcome. I thought his comments about an accessory storage pod mounted on the trunk were very interesting. I was predicting that GM would cobble together something similar to the suitcase BMW offers for the Z3, which someone pictured on this site several months ago. Other than that, his comments seem in line with what others have speculated.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
PATIOTRAY said:
No problem, thanks for the welcome. I thought his comments about an accessory storage pod mounted on the trunk were very interesting. I was predicting that GM would cobble together something similar to the suitcase BMW offers for the Z3, which someone pictured on this site several months ago. Other than that, his comments seem in line with what others have speculated.
Interesting, that is the first we've heard of a "pod" to add storage. We did discuss several after-market ideas similar to that as well as a luggage rack that would sit on top of the truck.

And how come we don't get picked for these focus groups :blueangel

·
4,592 Posts
Nothing new that's true. But if it's accurate and can be trusted, it's sad!!!

although we all have speculated these exact points, I believe many of us have hoped that these things would come to be resolved in a positive manner. These statements seem to reaffirm that many issues will be disappointing, even if some here will find them acceptable.

One positive note, if the solstice does have this many negatives, it will not have strong sales, and will be more favorably priced. But I gotta say, lack of trunk space is going to be difficult to overcome for most.

I will say, this is one persons opinion, and we all know tht needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Solstice may suffer significantly if the next gen miata improves from it's current design, but that's yet to be seen.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The only two things that bothered me about his feedback were the handbrake height and the run flat tires. This is assuming that his comment about the interior room is not applicable to the Solstice (based on the prototype test drive reports where they reported plenty of room).

Since this was a Saturn Sky focus group, I imagine there is still time in the development cycle to make minor changes based on the feedback. If not, why would they hold those sessions?

·
Registered
667 Posts
This was the next post on that site after the one on that brentil put up from over there.
"You say it's a piece of junk, and support that by saying it takes 2 minutes to raise or lower the top?

If that's the worst complaint about the car, Saturn will do well with it
."

I could not have said it better myself!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
First off, he is biased as an MR2 Spyder owner and seems to like to make comparisons. Does that make him an expert? That car sold about 2000 units a year and is an ultra-niche vehicle that was basically ignored by everyone.

Some of what he says makes a lot of sense, and some seems to go against other observations. His problem with his height in the car is something we have seen little of. Most reviews have indicated that the car has more than acceptable height.

2 minutes to work the top? Sounds like he is laboring the process to me. Its not a pull and go process, but those steps still do not sound like they should take that long to do.

Interior comments may or may not apply to the Solstice. Supposedly they will have different interiors.

No leather on the door panels of a $20K roadster? Big deal.

Its a niche vehicle and its not for everyone. I say his opinion is a little biased as an MR2 owner too. He may be a big import supporter, and therefore may dislike anything GM to begin with. MR2 owners of old were the main rivals to the POntiac Fiero, and if he is a long-time MR2 enthusiats he may have negative feelings for GM sports cars from the 80's. In the end, its one persons opinion. Thats fine. I don't see any deal breakers for me in what he said, as long as the height comment is exagerated (I am 6 foot).

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Ah, Fformula88. You were posting as I was still writing. I gotta larn ta type gooder. Basically saying the same as you.

In his discription of how to raise the top it looks as if possibly the second and forth steps could be combined as well as the third and fifth..... From inside the car, pop the rear deck and push it open, pull the top out of the truck and fasten it to the windshield. Then get out of the car to close the deck and then fasten the rear flaps. What's the big deal?

I'm sure the folded roof will cover any space beneath it, giving the appearance that it is using the entire trunk area while actually leaving several inches under the fabric for storage. From what he says, my guess is the two cubic feet we've heard talk about is 3feet x 2feet x 4inches. Sounds like an MR2. Will have to pack light and flat. I can deal with that.

I wish he would explain, "I’m 5’10” and I have a hard time sitting comfortably in the vehicle." What does he mean? Is he too tall? Too short? Are the seats unconfortable? This might be a problem and then, might not.

He goes on about how the Parking Brake sticks up above the "center console" but his next point is how there's no "center arm rest". Is the console too low to function as an arm rest? If so, I foresee a market for little pads that attach to the top of the console. No big deal.

And I doubt the inflator kit is optional.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Lol, sorry for beating you to the punch!

As for not having runflats, does he realize how much stiffer the car would ride with runflat tires? They'd have to soften up the suspension to compensate, which could compromise handling ability. Besides, I am sure you could exchange the stock tires for a set of runflats if you just had to have them.

An MR2 owner complaining about lack of trunk space in another car? :smash :D Priceless!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Sound like he sees what he wants to see. And to do that sometimes he has to close his eyes. A full glass looks half empty with your eyes closed. (till you knock it over.. then it becomes a self fulfilling opinion)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Even if everything he says is true, I'm already set to deal with it. Most of those things are items weve speculated about, or talked about before.

My only question is the run-flat tires and the can of fix-a-flat. From everything I've heard, you're not supposed to use the two in combination. I also wonder if there are run-flats if it's the stiffer wall version or the specialty ones with the extra rim inside that requires specialized rims?

·
Registered
533 Posts
DreamerDave said:

He goes on about how the Parking Brake sticks up above the "center console" but his next point is how there's no "center arm rest". Is the console too low to function as an arm rest? If so, I foresee a market for little pads that attach to the top of the console. No big deal.

This company has been making armrests for years. I had their product on two different vehicles and they worked and looked great.

http://www.husco.com

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would take this guys comments with a grain of salt. It appears that he was testing a sky and not a solstice. If so the sky may not have been fully furnished. If the sky is not to be introduced until a year after the solstice I am sure it is very much in the test mule stage where they don't much care about the ameneties as much as the car dynamics. This would explain why there were no armrests and all the controls are in odd locations. I believe that this focus group thing was for assesing the operation of the top. Also, this guy could be full of s---, everything that he said has been told or infered in other locations on the web, the only new "news" that he has is the storage pod thing, and that could have been a guess. While I do not want to call this guy a liar everything that he said was negative, while every other report we recieved has had an overall positive tone.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Brian said:
I would take this guys comments with a grain of salt....Also, this guy could be full of s---, everything that he said has been told or infered in other locations on the web, the only new "news" that he has is the storage pod thing, and that could have been a guess.
Good point, definately crossed my mind too :yesnod

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
Even if everything he says is true, I'm already set to deal with it. Most of those things are items weve speculated about, or talked about before.

My only question is the run-flat tires and the can of fix-a-flat. From everything I've heard, you're not supposed to use the two in combination. I also wonder if there are run-flats if it's the stiffer wall version or the specialty ones with the extra rim inside that requires specialized rims?
I think he was complaining that there were not any run flats on the car, and that it should have them standard.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I'm not listening to any of it until I see for myself. :nonod I will not be swayed The pics of the solstice so far have looked very inviting and positive.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts