Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with a guy I know at the plant and he said the main problem they are having right now is bottlenecks in the line. Cars are being built, but there are points in the line where it's still taking longer. From what he is saying, a station that took 1.5 minutes on the previous car may be taking 7 minutes now.
He also stated that they are not going to go straight through the first 1000 and then start the first allocation. They are doing both at the same time. This means that some of the first 1K cars will actually be built after some of the first allocation cars.
The latest issue they are fixing is water drainage troughs from the rear portion of the convertible top.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Slicer said:
He also stated that they are not going to go straight through the first 1000 and then start the first allocation. They are doing both at the same time. This means that some of the first 1K cars will actually be built after some of the first allocation cars.

Imagine that!!!!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Slicer said:
I spoke with a guy I know at the plant and he said the main problem they are having right now is bottlenecks in the line. Cars are being built, but there are points in the line where it's still taking longer. From what he is saying, a station that took 1.5 minutes on the previous car may be taking 7 minutes now.
The latest issue they are fixing is water drainage troughs from the rear portion of the convertible top.
If this is true there are going to be some very pissed people because Pontiac assured us that the first 1000 would be the first 1000 built and delivered. :brentil:

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
ateam_77 said:
If this is true there are going to be some very pissed people because Pontiac assured us that the first 1000 would be the first 1000 built and delivered. :brentil:
Why? Would it make a difference if the cars were built but only shipped after the first 1000? Would anybody know? Would anybody car? The bottleneck is probably installing the additional badge for the first 1000. :devil:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
ateam_77 said:
Actually first sold (shipped) to retail I believe.

On the line issues, kind of what we've been discussing, very easy to have startup issues once you get moving. It's going to be a slow go to start.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
SOLSTZ06 said:
Slicer said:

Imagine that!!!!!

Who's gonna know? Not you.

·
Registered
460 Posts
realy now

ateam_77 said:
I thought it was the I'st 1,000 to receive them,, Chronological vin, special badge, and certificate. How could any one think due to the fact they let you order it custom that they would pick off one at a time.If each and every i'st 1,000 were the same then maybe.. :cuss: :devil: :devil: :willy:

ohhhhhhhh sorry just woke up a little edgy :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
i thought some of the digits in the VIN number correspond to the car's sequence in production. the 1st 1000 should fall within a specific range on the VIN. i suppose they could set aside 1000 VIN numbers for first 1000 cars, but attaching a 'set aside' VIN to cars interspersed with regular production sounds like a clumsy alternative to just building the first 1000 cars as the 1st 1000 off the line.
i think that pontiac doesn't have anything to gain by wiggling on a commitment on the first 1000 promotion. they are trying to do the right thing with this car, from concept to execution, so why would they make such an obvious blunder like being dishonest about a major promotion like the 1st 1000 solstice.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
According to my dealer my order hasn't even been picked up (or any of the first allocations from that dealer) so GM better hurry up and make ya'lls cars :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
hopefully they won't adopt a "ship it like that and let the dealer take care of it after delivery" approach. the later your build date, the better in my opinion.

·
Registered
535 Posts
cdb said:
i thought some of the digits in the VIN number correspond to the car's sequence in production. the 1st 1000 should fall within a specific range on the VIN. i suppose they could set aside 1000 VIN numbers for first 1000 cars, but attaching a 'set aside' VIN to cars interspersed with regular production sounds like a clumsy alternative to just building the first 1000 cars as the 1st 1000 off the line.
i think that pontiac doesn't have anything to gain by wiggling on a commitment on the first 1000 promotion. they are trying to do the right thing with this car, from concept to execution, so why would they make such an obvious blunder like being dishonest about a major promotion like the 1st 1000 solstice.
I think that maybe you misunderstood Pontiacs intentions. I am sure it would not be econmically efficient nor practical with line processing to concentrate on only 1000 cars. I truly believe the 1st 1000 meant delivered not necessarily produced in succession. I really don't think the vin numbers will be special either but will be in succession with regular production. I think the big to do of the promotion was to get the first cars and the gifts and the nice little badge on the dash. I think to assume any more is hoping for too much.

·
Registered
75 Posts
1st 1000

HAY if you 1st 1000 do not want your cars because of the time they were built you should really cancel your orders. # 15 on wait list. If I were you I'd cancel cancel cancel.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
cdb said:
Manufacturers generally do not build cars in VIN number sequence. VIN's are pre-assigned, but the cars are not necessarily built in the exact order that the VIN's are assigned.

I think it has been well established on here that the first 1000 will have Vin numbers 0-1000, the special badge inside, and be the first cars delivered to customers. Delivery of allocation orders would commence after first 1000 delivery.

They most likely will hold the allocation cars that get built at the factory until all the first 1000 cars are shipped. Then they can immediately start shipping allocation cars, instead of having to wait to ship them while they get built.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Why does anyone really care what order they are built in or when they are built? :willy:

Just be happy to get one of the first 1000. :)

The rest of us are still waiting for our orders to be picked up. :brentil:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Once again, people are reading too much into this stuff. It makes perfect sense that they are NOT building the first 1K all in row. It wouldn't be economical.

There is set up and break down as part of the manufacturing process. Some 1K cars get the flood lights and the slip differential, while otehrs are only getting the leather, and the subwoofer. They are not going to setup the equipment and breakit down for the individual nature of each car.

If only 5 of the 1st 1000 ordered a car with the slip differential, the subwoofer, the conv package, and OnStar, but did NOT get the leather seats or XM radio. The it would make no sense financially to break down afterr those 5 are build and move on to the next build package. They will build however many of those as was deamed an econmical amount to build before changing the the lines. They would use complicated economic models to determine what was a good number to build before changing the equipment. It would not SOLELY be based on the 1st 1000 allocation.

Everytime they have to shut down the line to change the setup they are losing both time and money. This si an enevitability, but they will do whatever is best to reduce this lost cost as much as they can.

It's simple common sense.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Think of it like a concert. You buy your tickets for the front row, but that doesn't mean they let you in the door first. Remember, everyone gets a car!

Here's an idea. :willy: Maybe they are putting together bundles of cars for shipment. That way, they aren't sending a train with one car on it to California just because it was a 1st 1000 car. It'll all be over soon enough!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sir - I heard you were instrumental in keeping this site top notch. Thanks! It really is a GREAT site.

Our dealer in Oxnard, CA isn't even taking orders yet, so I went to another town.

I hope to be the first loaded white solstice in California!

1 - 20 of 120 Posts