Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bel Air Concept

I don't recall having seen these Bel Air picures here before so I'll post them. On second thought, it might be a bit too big to be for the kappa chasis. But ,it would complement the solstice as a more laid back version built for a different kind of customer. If they made the dimensions smaller it could be a promising kappa roadster.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
It's not a kappa. It's the good ol' body-on-frame concept.

Additionally, the wheelbase is (from memory) 110 or 111 inches - that's a crazy stretch from 95" that the solstice is running.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a stretched kappa anytime soon.

Serious problems start to creep up with the structure, I'd imagine, as they lengthen the wheelbase. Most of all, mass tends to increase significantly, which may be why you don't see this type of kappa/corvette lower dominant structure design in things other than 2-seaters.

Pre-empting the "buts" that are sure to follow: yes there were two 2+2 Kappa concepts (Nomad, Curve), but they were show cars and likely had hidden limitations (Structure problems, usable gas tank volume, overweight) that don't matter for concept cars but can stop the "productionization" dead in it's tracks.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
If I remember right, this ones built on the Colorada chassis. One of the advantages of body on frame is it's more forgiving to complete body make overs, allowing them to shorten the 5-6 year model run just to 3-4. This would allow them to use cheaper body panel dies.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
That concept got a lot of attention back when it hit the show circuit, but it seems to have died (or at least taken a back burner) down at Chevy. Due to its age, I am guessing it would have been on the Trailblazer platform as the SSR is, and not the Colorado. Heither way, that would make it one heavy beast!

Maybe the Zeta platform would make something like this more do-able for Chevy… or even doing a mid-size RWD platform to house something like this as well as that recent Holden RWD car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts