Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$18,000 Ok OK I"m sure it's a misprint.. but check out the latest news release from Pontiac...

http://media.gm.com/division/pontiac/

"Solstice is described as a “sexy, gorgeous two-seat roadster,” combines contemporary sheet metal and a rock-solid chassis with a rev-happy 2.4 liter, 177 horsepower four-cylinder engine that provide exhilarating acceleration, and spirited handling for around $18,000. "

·
5,641 Posts
package said:
$18,000 Ok OK I"m sure it's a misprint.. but check out the latest news release from Pontiac...

http://media.gm.com/division/pontiac/

"Solstice is described as a “sexy, gorgeous two-seat roadster,” combines contemporary sheet metal and a rock-solid chassis with a rev-happy 2.4 liter, 177 horsepower four-cylinder engine that provide exhilarating acceleration, and spirited handling for around $18,000. "
Could that be pesos? Other then being a misprint.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Small Dealer said:
If it was pesos, it would have to be in the millions! Must be a misprint. But I'd be happy with a price reduction!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Small Dealer said:
Mabe it is in Euros. That would be just about right. :)

·
5,641 Posts
Editguy said:
If it was pesos, it would have to be in the millions! Must be a misprint. But I'd be happy with a price reduction!
I was alluding to the fact that the press release refered to a Hispanic ad campaign. But you are correct.

In Mexico it might be:
19,995.00 USD United States Dollars = 212,281.89 MXN Mexico Pesos

At home in Brazil, Milka would need to spend her husband's Reais:
19,995.00 USD United States Dollars = 48,207.95 BRL Brazil Reais

In Argentina the Pesos looks a lot better:
19,995.00 USD United States Dollars = 57,260.68 ARS Argentina Pesos

But in Chile, you will need to bring the Pesos in another car, becasue they may not fit into a Solstice:
19,995.00 USD United States Dollars = 11,258,184.51 CLP Chile Pesos

In case you would like info about Milka

·
Registered
292 Posts
Small Dealer said:
I was alluding to the fact that the press release refered to a Hispanic ad campaign. But you are correct.

In Mexico it might be:
19,995.00 USD United States Dollars = 212,281.89 MXN Mexico Pesos

At home in Brazil, Milka would need to spend her husband's Reais:
19,995.00 USD United States Dollars = 48,207.95 BRL Brazil Reais

In Argentina the Pesos looks a lot better:
19,995.00 USD United States Dollars = 57,260.68 ARS Argentina Pesos

But in Chile, you will need to bring the Pesos in another car, becasue they may not fit into a Solstice:
19,995.00 USD United States Dollars = 11,258,184.51 CLP Chile Pesos

In case you would like info about Milka
That's quite funny SD. The sales lady I ordered my "first" Solstice from was named Milka ( She had an accent I could't quite place). That was the first I ever heard tha name. She's in North Central Kentucky. I was #8 on her list. I canceled that order when I made #4 on my local dealer's 1st allocation. Strange that that name should come up twice in relation to the Solstice. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
solkool said:
i am willing to bet no one is paying invoice :(
You're right, no one will, they have a $500 destination charge...

·
Registered
383 Posts
danlbrau said:
The dealer is :lol:
Actually...the dealer is paying less than invoice when you take out their "holdback", "advertising" and other "association fees" that are built into the invoice of every new car built. On average..the new car dealer makes about $700 by selling a car at invoice. Of course, the more expensive the car..the more he makes. Sad ..but true. Hey wait...I sell cars for a living..why the heck am I sad about this?..Oh thats right..dealers dont pay salespeople on this "back end" money. :cryin: :cryin:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
deepdawg said:
Oh thats right..dealers dont pay salespeople on this "back end" money. :cryin: :cryin:
Backend money is below invoice? Does dealer get cut of front-end too?

·
Registered
383 Posts
It can be called different things...but yes. Backend money can also refer to the money made in the finance dept off warranties, life and accidental health policies, gap insurance and so forth. But the dealer pays the invoice then is reimbursed quarterly for the different items i listed in the post.

·
Registered
383 Posts
mceb said:
Backend money is below invoice? Does dealer get cut of front-end too?

Generally speaking ..a salesperson gets paid a portion of the profit above invoice minus a "pack". Every dealer is different but in general it is like this...
Customer pays $500 over invoice...dealership has a $200 pack that come off that ...so salesperosn gets paid a percentage of this $300..typically 25%...so they would make about $75 for this deal. Aint that great? In the mean time the dealer makes $425 plus the money built into the invoice. Obviously, this is just for the purpose of example and does not reflect an actual event. No dealers were harmed in the making of this example. :lol:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Gms??

deepdawg - This is the first new vehicle I've ever purchased that wasn't on some sort of 'employee' deal (my Dad retired from GM).

What kind of cut does the dealer and salesperson make on a GMS deal? I'm sure it's not much - but hope they (ok, actually only the sales person) get something.

BTW - thanks to people like you and SD I've learned so much I never considered before. :thumbs:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Typically the dealers pay a flat dollar amount on GMS (Aplan on Ford) deals. And that can vary greatly by the dealer. Most that I have worked at pay $50-$100 per deal on these. The dealer still makes about the same however. They get paid a percentage of the MSRP minus certain "costs" the manufacturer wont pay them on. (ironic that the dealers get treated like salespeople by the manufacturers..haha) For example...on Ford's Family plan going on right now. On average the dealership makes appx 6% of the MSRP...yet most are complaining that they arent making any money on this plan. Let's see...6% of a $30000 truck is $1800. Seems rather fair to me. But in reality, the dealer is making less overall because the deals are structured by the manufacturer and can not make any "home runs" by selling any for more than the employee pricing. Of course this is compensated by the 47% increase in business most dealers have seen because of these promotions by the manufacturers.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Maks

btw...where are you in SE mich? I used to live in Toledo and SE Michgan.

·
Registered
212 Posts
deepdawg said:
Typically the dealers pay a flat dollar amount on GMS (Aplan on Ford) deals. And that can vary greatly by the dealer. Most that I have worked at pay $50-$100 per deal on these. The dealer still makes about the same however. They get paid a percentage of the MSRP minus certain "costs" the manufacturer wont pay them on. (ironic that the dealers get treated like salespeople by the manufacturers..haha) For example...on Ford's Family plan going on right now. On average the dealership makes appx 6% of the MSRP...yet most are complaining that they arent making any money on this plan. Let's see...6% of a $30000 truck is $1800. Seems rather fair to me. But in reality, the dealer is making less overall because the deals are structured by the manufacturer and can not make any "home runs" by selling any for more than the employee pricing. Of course this is compensated by the 47% increase in business most dealers have seen because of these promotions by the manufacturers.
Well don't forget another big part of the puzzle for dealers. Because these "employee pricing" programs are getting the rubes out in force to empty the dealers lots in time for the arrivals of 2006 models, dealers no longer have to pay the flooring on the 2005 models. So they might be making less per unit, but their costs are also going down.

As an aside, these "our price is your price" programs are a joke. My 2004 SRX was $6,000 below sticker plus $5,500 in various rebates when I bought it in May 2004, now the "employee price" on the 2005's is something like $5,500 below sticker. Hmmm, doesn't seem like such a deal to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts