Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the Pacific Northwest. It rains alot. The hardtop coupe seems like the way to go. I could be happy with a base model, I think, but most reviews say the GXP is the way to go. Been searching around the internet, but it seems there are alot of inaccurate postings. Some calling the convertible model "coupes" and some claiming GXP that seem to actually be base models. Help!

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f114/looking-coupe-now-72559/
I try to keep the thread updated but winter is generally downtime for sportscars advertising.

Autotrader.com

Easiest way to tell GXP (2.0 turbo) from 2.4 (Non-Aspirated) is front and rear fascias. GXP front fascia has a honeycomb bezel surrounding driving light/turn signal plus lower lip design fascia intake for intercooler (NA is just driving light/turn signal). Rear fascia, GXP has dual exhaust & dual valance exhaust outlets, NA single.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Good luck with the search! There are some GXP versions out there, but they'll probably be Automatics. Most of the manual GXP Coupes are taken and very rare to find one.
The base model can be supercharged for almost as much fun as a base GXP without the upgrade tune.
Enjoy it when you find one.
Once you find one, Then join the Pacific Northwest Roadsters for some fun times with cruises & runs around the Northwest & southern Canada!
And don't forget Nationals are in Flagstaff in June this year.
Be prepared for the PermaGrin experience!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Be aware if you add 40%+ hp to the base model and enjoy it, a clutch will be in your future. It isn't worth modding a base IMO for GXP power. Lot's did it before the GXP EMS was fully exploited for aftermarket gains. To each there own.

I don't find coupes, gxp coupes, and manual GXP coupes overly hard to find. They may not be local, but there all variations are currently for sale on autotrader.com. And have been whenever I check.

I wouldn't worry about inaccurate ads. Happens all the time. Look at the pics, request the vin, talk to a real person who has it for sale, etc.

Good luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Cypress - welcome! I'm just a couple of weeks ahead of you having purchased my 2009 GXP Coupe 5-speed about a week ago. Ironically, I purchased it from a dealer in Seattle - likely close to you. I am waiting for it to arrive either today or tomorrow!!Autotrader and Ebay are your main weapons in the search.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
They are out there but aren't that common. Be prepared to travel if necessary.

The GXP coupes should hold value (but will not appreciate) better than the NAs.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
CoolTech, did you buy from Auburn? They got a bunch of inventory when they came out and insisted on exorbitant prices, so they sold them very slowly over time

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh, you bought that one.

Hey Cypress - welcome! I'm just a couple of weeks ahead of you having purchased my 2009 GXP Coupe 5-speed about a week ago. Ironically, I purchased it from a dealer in Seattle - likely close to you. I am waiting for it to arrive either today or tomorrow!!Autotrader and Ebay are your main weapons in the search.
I saw that one. By the time I requested inof from the dealer, he said it was sold! congrats!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the light goes on

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f114/looking-coupe-now-72559/
I try to keep the thread updated but winter is generally downtime for sportscars advertising.

Autotrader.com

Easiest way to tell GXP (2.0 turbo) from 2.4 (Non-Aspirated) is front and rear fascias. GXP front fascia has a honeycomb bezel surrounding driving light/turn signal plus lower lip design fascia intake for intercooler (NA is just driving light/turn signal). Rear fascia, GXP has dual exhaust & dual valance exhaust outlets, NA single.
Been wondering what NA meant! In my line of work, people use it as "not applicable". I was getting really confused!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good luck with the search! There are some GXP versions out there, but they'll probably be Automatics. Most of the manual GXP Coupes are taken and very rare to find one.
The base model can be supercharged for almost as much fun as a base GXP without the upgrade tune.
Enjoy it when you find one.
Once you find one, Then join the Pacific Northwest Roadsters for some fun times with cruises & runs around the Northwest & southern Canada!
And don't forget Nationals are in Flagstaff in June this year.
Be prepared for the PermaGrin experience!

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
There's been a couple long running auto vs man threads. Basically it comes down to those who don't consider a sports car to be a true sports car unless it's a manual. Versus those who's lifestyle (congested traffic/medical issues/happy spouse happy life/auto's being faster than manuals :devil:) makes an auto more practical. Bottom line; it's a personal choice and choosing what you believe works best for your lifestyle.

Full Disclosure, we own both, and I definitely enjoy driving the manual over the auto but...it's due to it not being a Daily Driver. After manual shifting Jeep Wrangler's DDs for 10 years. Frankly I was over it (and spouse didn't like shifting), and mainly choose manuals because I had become aware it would help come resale time. Same could be said for Kappa's.

However, it is possible to change auto to manual and was quoted 3K from a forum sponser (parts & labor).

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
N/A = naturally aspirated as compared to forced induction (turbo or supercharged).

If it was non-aspirated (not breathing), the car wouldn't go at all :p

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Well, you could say that N/A means that the turbo is "not applicable", but then again, you can always apply one.

Good luck with the search and post pics when you get it!

·
Registered
61 Posts
CoolTech, did you buy from Auburn?
I got mine from Harnish - nearby Seattle. I can't say I'm too happy with them.

1) The owner's son is the finance guy - and clearly a person who has the job because of his name and not his skills. The paperwork was not handled well and I actually had to request a bill of sale and title as I paid in full via bank transfer. How the heck did they think I would register it with no paperwork and why did I have to ask? (Got the paperwork almost a full week AFTER paying in full for the car.)

2) The car arrived via transport last night. You never get a second chance to make a first impression (hint, hint, Harnish).... When I start the car, the low fuel light immediately comes and and car is showing 0 miles until empty. Are you kidding me Harnish??? If not a full tank, how about a splash of gas so I can make it to a station?

3) Worse yet, the car was also showing, "Change Engine Oil Soon" and when I looked at the oil life, it said 2% remaining. Really Harnish? You deliver a car - which is certified no less, and you don't bother to even change the oil?? Honestly not a big deal for us as we have a lift and we did an oil change last night with Mobil1 5w-30 and a Mobil1 filter cartridge. The odometer was right at 9200 miles and oil was black - so pretty sure this was car's first oil change.

4) Emailed dealer to let them know I was disappointed with no fuel and "change oil" conditions right at delivery. Their response was that they had changed the only and simply forgot to reset the service reminder. Really Harnish? Now we are going to start making stuff up???

This was the 5th car I purchased in last 10 months and by far the WORST dealer practices I have experienced in a long, long time.

Sorry for the brief hijack. I feel better now. Back to our regular programming... just use caution if purchasing from Harnish!

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
I got mine from Harnish - nearby Seattle. I can't say I'm too happy with them.

1) The owner's son is the finance guy - and clearly a person who has the job because of his name and not his skills. The paperwork was not handled well and I actually had to request a bill of sale and title as I paid in full via bank transfer. How the heck did they think I would register it with no paperwork and why did I have to ask? (Got the paperwork almost a full week AFTER paying in full for the car.)

2) The car arrived via transport last night. You never get a second chance to make a first impression (hint, hint, Harnish).... When I start the car, the low fuel light immediately comes and and car is showing 0 miles until empty. Are you kidding me Harnish??? If not a full tank, how about a splash of gas so I can make it to a station?

3) Worse yet, the car was also showing, "Change Engine Oil Soon" and when I looked at the oil life, it said 2% remaining. Really Harnish? You deliver a car - which is certified no less, and you don't bother to even change the oil?? Honestly not a big deal for us as we have a lift and we did an oil change last night with Mobil1 5w-30 and a Mobil1 filter cartridge. The odometer was right at 9200 miles and oil was black - so pretty sure this was car's first oil change.

4) Emailed dealer to let them know I was disappointed with no fuel and "change oil" conditions right at delivery. Their response was that they had changed the only and simply forgot to reset the service reminder. Really Harnish? Now we are going to start making stuff up???

This was the 5th car I purchased in last 10 months and by far the WORST dealer practices I have experienced in a long, long time.

Sorry for the brief hijack. I feel better now. Back to our regular programming... just use caution if purchasing from Harnish!

Harnish is in Puyallup. Even further out than Auburn ��

Glad you finally got it. Too bad, I woulda gone to check it out. I would have pulled up in my coupe and they wouldn't have known what to make of me

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
I would register a complaint with Matt, the GM customer service guy on the forum. PM him at (forumname) GMCustomerSvc and give him the details. If they didn't change the oil, what else didn't they do in the inspection?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Could be the reason the oil was black was because they changed it and didn't use Mobile 1. There are some cheap non-synthetic blends that look black right out of the can. :lol:

No matter what, I would suggest you change it again soon. Maybe run it for 500 miles, then change it again. If it was me, I would probably do that two more times. With such terrible Dealership behavior, you have no idea what was going on.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
1 - 20 of 60 Posts