Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member, w/ lots of questions - if someone doesn't mind indulging. (my long story short is... was bumped at my dealership after the stupid Apprentice thing - sad/frustrating day). - Anyway, I also cancelled my custom order that day (as tentative delivery was Oct or later, & I live near the mtns & I would have just had a new car sitting in the garage all winter). - Now sounds like maybe further delays... so:

1. Should I order again NOW for a Spring 06 delivery?
2. Is the Pontiac Employee Discount thing being advertised also available for the Solstice, & does it really save anything? (July 5th deadline?)
3. Anyone heard of any plans for an electric vs manual top in the future? (I drive a Nissan 240sx Ltd Ed. convertible now, & swore I would never go to a manual top)

Congrads to everyone on here who got into the 1st 1,000! (even though I felt personally jilted by Pontiac corp/mktg, everyone of this forum seem to be legitimate enthusiasts... & that's great to see!)

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
1. I'd say go for it.

2. I have no clue... I'm interested to know myself.

3. No plans for power thus far. And the 240 has a power top? I never knew that! Then again I've never been around a 'vert before. Nice to know there's another 240 owner here though. :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Welcom Bump! Sorry to hear about your 4/15 situation. There were a lot of long faces that fateful day. Now, on to the answers to the questions burning in your Sol!

1. You should definitely order like tomorrow (I guess that's today actually). Depending on where you live there have been reports of dealerships already in thier 3rd 4 month allotment. I'd get that order (and deposit) in as soon as you can.

2. No, it lists very specifically which '05 models are eligable for the employee pricing. I'm pretty sure that it's everything except for Hummers and 'Vetts. It doesn't matter anyway though, because the 'Stice is an '06 model.

3.Not sure about an answer to this, though if you want want in the spring, I don't think it will be available. One thing that you have to keep in mind is that this is a "back to basics" roadster; meaning thatit's built for speed, not trunk space, or convienance necessarily. (Even though it does have some nice "unneeded" features (power windows, power locks, upgraded speakers, etc.)) Another thing to keep in mind is that the mnual operation is supposed to be super easy. I'll let you search for more on that topic though.

Again, welcome to the forum! Hope you are able to glean as much from this resource as I have.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks/arigato both! - Have decided to call my dealer back tomorrow (after an evening reading the forum's postings), but also considering waiting for the FI 240hp that I didn't know was back in the picure. - And just saw on Pontiac site that the '06 Solstice is not eligible for the '05 Employee discount (but thx for the confirmation Nix!) - & guess I can live with the manual top for a few years. - Trust me dori-san, once you've got the conv., you'll never want to go back... even for a 240sx. :)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
To quote DeepThought, "Hmmmm... Tricky."

Bumpguy said:
New member, w/ lots of questions - if someone doesn't mind indulging. (my long story short is... was bumped at my dealership after the stupid Apprentice thing - sad/frustrating day). - Anyway, I also canceled my custom order that day (as tentative delivery was Oct or later, & I live near the mtns & I would have just had a new car sitting in the garage all winter). - Now sounds like maybe further delays... so:
  2. Is the Pontiac Employee Discount thing being advertised also available for the Solstice, & does it really save anything? (July 5th deadline?)
  3. Anyone heard of any plans for an electric vs manual top in the future? (I drive a Nissan 240sx Ltd Ed. convertible now, & swore I would never go to a manual top)
Congrats to everyone on here who got into the 1st 1,000! (even though I felt personally jilted by Pontiac corp/mktg, everyone of this forum seem to be legitimate enthusiasts... & that's great to see!)
First, welcome to the forum.

Now, on to the answers to your questions:
  1. To quote DeepThought from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, "Hmmmm... Tricky." You could place your custom order with your dealer, give him a deposit if he asks, then ask him to be in his third cycle for the 4 month allocations. From the best I can tell, those cycles look like the following:
    • 2005-06-01/2005-09-30
    • 2005-10-01/2006-01-31
    • 2006-02-01/2006-05-31
    This would put you in good stead to receive a Solstice some time in the spring (spring runs from March 21 through June 21.

Since most dealers already have a waiting list LONGER than their their allocations for both of their first and second 4 month allocations together, you do not want to delay placing your order.

If your dealer is uncooperative, you might be able to get your order in with our supporting dealer GTOJ and have the unit delivered as a courtesy to a dealer near you. I suggest sending a PM to GTOJ and asking him whether or not you can be in his 3rd 4 month allocation cycle.

2. The GM employee discount applies only to cars in the 2005 model year. The Solstice is a 2006 model year vehicle, and is therefore not included. (There are some notable exceptions to the list of applicable cars, notably, the Corvette is not being discounted.)

3. We have heard many rumors with regard to future solstice models, but NONE of them have discussed a power top. Part of the reason is that the Solstice is a back to basics roadster in the tradition of the great manual top roadsters of the past and present. If you really want a power top, maybe you should look into a convertible Mini; they have power tops.

The rumors that we have heard with regard to the top is that they are considering a hardtop coupe version of the Solstice with a fixed permanent roof, however there is no date set on that yet. Another permutation is GM has discussed a removable hard top to be available from Pontiac in the first quarter of 2007.

Watch the SEMA show, for accessories this November, but don't hold your breath for a power top on the Solstice. I don't see it happening for reasons discussed at length in other threads on this forum.
Well, that's some of the answers.

Unfortunately, just like DeepThought, I suspect that you won't like the answers I have given you. So, just remember that the answer to the problem of life, the universe, and everything is 42...Now we just have to figure out what the question is--Anyone up for a trip to the legendary planet of Magrathea? :leaving:

Hmmm.... While I was writing this, others have also answered. :willy:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, thanks for the info Avenger! - & I like the answers... (they're informative & that's what I was looking/hoping for)... Good to understand the cycle thing & dates now too! - The removable hardtop may be a great option for me if it develops... as it almost never rains in the summer in Reno, NV. - Will synch up with GTOJ too, if my dealer can't/won't accommodate.

Definitely appreciate your time on the reply! (more effort than many of my co-workers put into their replies... & it's their job). - guess it would help if employees were as into their jobs as this group is into their soon-to-be owned cars!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Although there's no plans for an electrically driven roof that I know of, one advantage of the Solstice over the 240SX is there's no rear seat to have to reach over when folding the roof down. Although it won't be as the pushing a button you're used to, it won't be as hard as it could be.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Might pay to get a good spot in dealer 2nd allocation (probably early next year?)

Solstice is not included, have to take delivery by July 5th which is impossible for Solstice. Even if it was, the car would probably be exempt, for example Corvette is not included in discount.

Nope, no sign of power top. If you want higher HP version (~240hp) we have rumors of that for some time next year.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another newbie question

Ok, another new-guys question (so new, I couldn't even remember/figure out how to start a new post... so just ignore the old string below).

I found a dealer who'll take my new order... so I'm back to square 1 with the options decision: thought I would ping those who've been pondering them all for some time...

I'm thinking about getting all options, except:
- possibly no ABS
- possibly no Limited Slip
- probably not polished wheels (will get my own polished chrome later)
- & most likely not OnStar

anystrong votes against these ideas? (I know nothing about the limited slip, but could potentially be driving in snow occasionally - Reno,NV)

any other options most are considering dropping that I haven't excluded?

and finally, color (which I know is completely preference) - for me, it's between Deep blue & Envious green (love mysterious/black, but have had enough of constantly cleaning my black 240sx conv)

reason I'm asking re: options &/or color is that I'm thining of buying ASAP & then selling this one when I can get an '07 turbo... & want the best resell options, vs just what i want/consider might be important. - thanks!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Bumpguy said:
I'm thinking about getting all options, except:
- possibly no ABS
- possibly no Limited Slip
- probably not polished wheels (will get my own polished chrome later)
- & most likely not OnStar
I would definitely say go with the ABS and limited slip.
If you may be driving in snow these could both greatly benefit you. Think, if you are going to be speding $24000 on the car you might as well spend another $600 total for the 2. Limited slip will give you much better traction and probably similar to going from a 2x4 to a 4x4. You will be doubling your grip on the road for acceleration. The ABS will also make the car much safer. You also get an insurance reduction if you have ABS, so if you have the car for a number of years you could almost pay for the ABS through a lower insurance rate. I got a quote from either Progressive or Geico (can't remember now) and I think that it was about $40 cheaper per 6 months.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
I would definitely say go with the ABS and limited slip.
:agree: In the past, I kind of avoided things that took away elements of control from the driver. But a properly working ABS system is just plain better at braking than most drivers. And even the few seasoned pros who can match its performance would be hard pressed to do it consistently. The computers just react faster than we do. Anyway, I ended up with ABS on my last car and was very happy with it. I had a couple of short stops on wet roads that it may have saved me on, not to mention the reduced insurance. And from what I understand, the LSD gives the same kind of improved performance in traction during acceleration. There was a long thread about it a while back and most of the people concerned with performance seemed to give it the thumbs up.

Also, keep in mind that deliveries for the first 1000 cars to customers probably aren't even going to begin until early August. So the first four-month allocation cycle will probably run about 8/1/05 - 12/1/05 and deliveries for the second allocation will probably finish up around 4/1/05. So depending on when you hope to get your car, you may want to aim for a late second allocation slot or an early third allocation position. That should be no problem for you unless you live in one of the really high demand areas. There are a lot of dealers out there with second allocation slots available ... but it's getting really hard to track down a spot on the first allocation, although we still see some pop up now and then.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
SlySol said:
:agree: In the past, I kind of avoided things that took away elements of control from the driver. But a properly working ABS system is just plain better at braking than most drivers. And even the few seasoned pros who can match its performance would be hard pressed to do it consistently. The computers just react faster than we do. Anyway, I ended up with ABS on my last car and was very happy with it. I had a couple of short stops on wet roads that it may have saved me on, not to mention the reduced insurance. And from what I understand, the LSD gives the same kind of improved performance in traction during acceleration. There was a long thread about it a while back and most of the people concerned with performance seemed to give it the thumbs up.

Also, keep in mind that deliveries for the first 1000 cars to customers probably aren't even going to begin until early August. So the first four-month allocation cycle will probably run about 8/1/05 - 12/1/05 and deliveries for the second allocation will probably finish up around 4/1/05. So depending on when you hope to get your car, you may want to aim for a late second allocation slot or an early third allocation position. That should be no problem for you unless you live in one of the really high demand areas. There are a lot of dealers out there with second allocation slots available ... but it's getting really hard to track down a spot on the first allocation, although we still see some pop up now and then.
I hear that when driving on tracks, the GM handling engineers leave ABS on (meaning they do not disable it) when driving at the limit. I believe John Heinricy leaves ABS enabled when he drives on race courses in corvettes.

I'd say, if it's good enough for them, it's prolly something you'd benefit from too.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
awesome, thanks for the tips... I'll get both the limited slip & the ABS. much appreciated!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts