Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I would like to note that I am a new member. I have always like the Solstice, and now the oppertunity has risen to get one. I am in no means in a situation where I NEED a vehicle. I just want one to play with. So, that being said, heres the scoop.
2007 Solstice, non-GXP. 21k miles. Leather interior. Aftermarket wheels. CAI(maker not specified). Lowered 1". Just over $14,000 OTD from dealer. I have not driven it or looked at it yet. I just wanted to get a base opinion first, before I waste my time. Does that seem to be too much? Keep in mind, I do not need a car. So if thats overpriced, I have no problems walking away.
I havesome experience ni modding cars. I dumped 9k into my Talon before i sold it. I just finished my Jeep Wrangler. Now I want to go back to a car. And the Solstice is perfect. Small 2-seater coupe. So it will be my next project. Just whenever I find the right one. Cheers!

-Aaron

·
Registered
194 Posts
Look at KBB.com and their pricing. Plug all the options in and see what it says. I hadn't priced GXPs, just the base. But that price (to an uneducated guy) doesn't seem outrageous. But I don't know your location, and different areas bring different markets and values.

Don't look at the NADA pricing. That one seems to overprice vehicles, especially on the dealers side. Dealers love to say their asking price is "below NADA". I should hope so. Looked at an 07 Base here with 54k miles. Dealer was asking almost $17k for it. I passed.

·
Registered
613 Posts
That looks like a real good price for a non turbo. Seen them sell for 14 to 15,000 with alot more miles on them. I tell people drive one and you'll want it. They are just so much fun. If you get it, you need to get with a local group and go on some runs with them.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I agree with both posts above. I paid too much for m 07 base but once my wife saw it, it was too late.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've been looking myself. On again, off again. Just a few weeks ago I had decided that I wasn't going to get a GXP. Then, things present themselves and you have to reconsider. I checked all of the used car websites to get a feel for what people are asking, cars.com, autotrader, craigslist (use searchtempest), cargurus. What I have found is that you can probably get your best deal direct from a person, not a dealer. Of course that involves a lot of leg work, email exchange and phone calls. And you'll need to take care of taxes, financing, licensing and figure out how far you are willing to travel to get it. I'm in the process of buying a loaded, original owner 2008 GXP for $14,500 (not including taxes) with only 15k miles on it. Comparable vehicles at dealers have asking prices in the $17-$18k range. Spring is coming soon, and I have found that dealers are becoming less likely to want to deal on these cars.

With that said, I too don't NEED to buy, and that is probably a good position to be in. It allows you to wade through all of the vehicles that are available and make an educated decision. There are deals to be had, keep looking, be patient and I'm sure you will find the Solstice you want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think there were any 2007 coupes.
I didnt mean coupe in the sense of closed top. Just 2 seater style car. Maybe thats what coupe really means. It is a convertable. And better yet, its a 2008, not 2007 as previously thought. Ran the VIN, nothing popped up. 1 owner, no reported wrecks or anything. Heading that way to check it out. Im still up in the air about buying it. It seems to be a great deal, but I still wanna check out a GXP. But those tend to be way overpriced. Thanks for all the input guys. Cheers!

-Aaron

·
Registered
39 Posts
I didnt mean coupe in the sense of closed top. Just 2 seater style car. Maybe thats what coupe really means. It is a convertable.

-Aaron
It's ok. The confusion here is that while MOST of the Pontiac Solstices (Solstii??) on the road (over 64,000+ of them) are indeed convertibles, they actually made 1,266 hard-top Solstice Coupes, so when someone states "coupe" on this forum, it actually refers to that specific type of Solstice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just for my own interest, why did you decide to not get a GXP?

:grouphug:
Well, I haven't bought anything yet. Its just that the price was good for this one at the time.
Honestly, I'd rather the GXP. Even if it meant waiting it out for a good deal on one of those.

It's ok. The confusion here is that while MOST of the Pontiac Solstices (Solstii??) on the road (over 64,000+ of them) are indeed convertibles, they actually made 1,266 hard-top Solstice Coupes, so when someone states "coupe" on this forum, it actually refers to that specific type of Solstice.
I quickly learned that after a few browsing sessions on this site.:lol:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well here is a price point to consider, I bought my 2007 GXP in March, 2010 for $17,000 with 26,000 miles. I would not consider addons/aftermarket items to add any value, may even take away value. A NA should be a couple thousand less than a GXP, so I would think $12,000 would be MY maximum offer. But it is your deal, if you are happy, we are all happy and excited to see a new member. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Brand new member here. We moved to the Smokey mountains about 5 months ago from the Mountains of Arizona.
Anyhow I have seen more of the soltace/sky cars here in the last few months That ever before out west. My wife wants a sporty convertable along the lines of the Miata, never even considered the soltace.

I have run across a Yellow mint beyond mint fully loaded '07 Turbo, with automatic with just over 4,500 miles thru a trusted very good friend at what seems a very reasonable price. the current owner who is a good friend of my friend has Cancer......

What should I look out for, and if it is in fact what is presented what would be a reasonable price range? I have never even seen one of these cars other than driving down the road.

BTW, I am a long time BMW Motorcycle nut

Copperhill, Tennessee.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Make sure it has a/c as there were quite a few that don't. Check to make sure there are no fluid leaks anywhere. See if it has the GMPP tune. On the manifold side your MAF will only have 1 bolt that attaches it to the intercooler tube coming off the intercooler (driver's side). The car should be close to a rocketship if you test drive it.... Everyone else can help you with what else to look at....

Price range here in MI for something like that is probably around $15k, maybe $16k for the yellow. To give you an example, I paid $16k for my '08 with 40k on it in October. Maybe someone else can answer that one better.....

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Well, I haven't bought anything yet. Its just that the price was good for this one at the time.
Honestly, I'd rather the GXP. Even if it meant waiting it out for a good deal on one of those.

I quickly learned that after a few browsing sessions on this site.:lol:
Wait for the GXP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You won't be disappointed the the extra $2k!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nothing wrong with a base, bought my 06 with 9700 miles in November here in Michigan for $13.8K. Price was down, and dealer was motivated as temps were getting low. I'm sure asking price will be going up with spring.

Base is ok, it's a cruiser. No offense to any GXP owner, but if I want to go fast I just take the Mustang or Concours out and chew them up!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just bought a 2007 Dark Blue Base with a/c, auto, clean carfax, 61,000 mile Florida car.
Purchased from Baltimore Md dealer and they are delivering to my house in York, Pa. (60 milesone way)
$11,500 plus tax, title,fees, etc...... so about $12,500 OTD. Put $500 down .....

Missed out on numerous GXP, so gave up and went Base model,
I DID NOT CARE AT THIS POINT, I WANTED IT !!!
Just buy what you feel comfortable spending, enjoy it, and don't worry what others think ......
Smitty

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
congrats on your Blue 07. I shopped around, found one I had to have but couldn;t get financed. then found financing and a dealer that was willing to buy it for me. sure I paid more then the other dealers asking price but I got the one I wanted. it's been a great car so far and I think you'll like it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts