Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good to be here! I have a 2009 Solstice w/ 5k miles. Coolant temp rises when idle... up to 130 - 140. Once I start moving again, it cools down. Thermostat? Fan? Where would you start?

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Thermostat most likely. When you replace it I would suggest drilling a 1/8 or 1/16 inch hole in the new thermostat. Will make it MUCH easier to bleed air out of the system after refilling.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Maybe its just me, but I am confused. My reading says your temp raises to 130 - 140?
The normal temperature range is 190 to 210 generally staying around 200f unless under heavy load on a hot summer day. Then its normal to see 220. Its also normal for the temperature to drop slightly at higher RPMs and even more when driving. Higher RPM means the water pump is moving more coolant through the radiator and dumping heat at a higher rate. Movement means ambient air is being forced into the radiator shroud at a higher volume than when only the fan is moving air. All normal.

But you said 130? If that is C then it should not be running. The ECM will shut off the motor well before 130C = 266F.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Good to be here! I have a 2009 Solstice w/ 5k miles. Coolant temp rises when idle... up to 130 - 140. Once I start moving again, it cools down. Thermostat? Fan? Where would you start?
If you're reading degrees F - you're fine. At idle the coolant will rise as there is no air going through the radiator.

In fact, if it is in degrees F - your thermocouple is likely bad. You should be looking at 180 +.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
When was the last time your coolant was changed ? GM recommends every 5 years and check your hoses when doing this . Use only Dex Cool and remember the system is pressurized so you will need to bleed the air out of it when done there are threads on the forum on how to do this .As for the thermostat if you decide to replace it buy a quality one like Stant and drill a 1/16 hole in it there have been some issues with these failing (mine did at 28000 miles ) so while your doing a coolant flush it's just cheap insurance to avoid problems down the road .If your car is running 130/140 at idle nothing to worry about ,once it reaches around 214 the fan will kick on and cool it down unless you have the air on then the fan is constantly running . Good Luck .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts