Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2006 Solstice, this forum was excellent to educate me on what to look far when hunting for my new car. I was able to purchase a clean Solstice with only 23K miles that I found on Craig's List.

Curious if anyone has any updates on Service Manual's? I see online manuals that you can download or they will send you an USB drive, any thoughts on those?.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
helminc.com....they have all sorts of different items.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Recently purchased a 2006 Solstice, this forum was excellent to educate me on what to look far when hunting for my new car. I was able to purchase a clean Solstice with only 23K miles that I found on Craig's List.

Curious if anyone has any updates on Service Manual's? I see online manuals that you can download or they will send you an USB drive, any thoughts on those?.
Congrats on the car, enjoy! As far as the service manual I assume you are looking at the ones for sale on eBay? I too have been curious on the validity of these. I have a downloaded version of the service manual that I downloaded from somewhere that I've questioned it's origin. I wonder if they are the same or not?

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Welcome Gary.

The Helm manuals are the real deal, though a bit pricey. I've read that most of the PDF's available on line are pirated and have limited "searchability".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats on the car, enjoy! As far as the service manual I assume you are looking at the ones for sale on eBay? I too have been curious on the validity of these. I have a downloaded version of the service manual that I downloaded from somewhere that I've questioned it's origin. I wonder if they are the same or not?
Helm only list the following manual for the 2006 model year: 2006 GM Transmission/Transaxle/Transfer Case Unit Repair Manual.

Steveorama - Where you satisfied with the downloaded version of the service manual you purchased?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here's a link to Helm's manuals, the service manual should be the same for 06-09. It's $300 and paper copy though.
Pontiac Solstice 2006

I can't recall where I downloaded mine, but it was free at the time. I think someone had posted a link to their google docs and I grabbed it. It's a PDF version and not the most user friendly for searching, I don't think it's bookmarked. It seems to have all the information I would assume a legit service manual would have, but I don't know since I haven't ever seen another one to validate.

·
Premium Member
2007 Sol NA (work in progress)
49 Posts
t's a PDF version and not the most user friendly for searching, I don't think it's bookmarked. It seems to have all the information I would assume a legit service manual would have, but I don't know since I haven't ever seen another one to validate.

For the past 40 years or so, I've been using the "tried and true" method of using post-it notes on all my service manuals. They work pretty good and I've never had a problem with them falling out. But these new manuals from the PDF Book Store are a pain. I put the post-its on the side of my computer, come back a day or two later, and when I try to open one up, if comes right off the chassis. Maybe I'll try high-lighting relevant text with a highlighter.......:unsure:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Congrat's on your new to you 2006!

As for the manuals the downloadable ones are better than nothing, but were pirated from the original GM format. The trouble with them is the original format used hyperlinks for many of the steps. Just to explain what I mean lets say you want to change to door window regulator, it will say remove door Card (panel) and would have had a link to anouther part of the manual. They only put that procedure in once and linked it to the many procedures that would require that step to be accomplished.
The downloadable version does have the step in it, but there is no link or reference page number for you to easily go to it. It requires a lot of manual searching.

I recently purchased a brand new 2006 factory service manual locally for $325. I think it was well worth it. But expect to pay $300-500 for a Service manual.

Good Luck!!!

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I got lucky with my service manuals. Found mine on Ebay. an original GM three volume set. Don't remember exactly but I paid (I think) about $250.00. They have saved me more money than that many times over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone for the information on service manuals.

50 plus degrees in Saint Louis today, going for a top down cruise!

·
Registered
2007 Solstice
9 Posts

I think the only one to buy are the factory ones. Don't buy the CD on line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got a 2006 Solstice for Christmas! (Santa and my wife were VERY good to me this year!) It has some miles on it (just over 100K) and a little rough around the edges, but so much fun. Will enjoy putting the rough spots right. Thanks for a great forum and would love to meet other Solstice owners in SW Michigan.

Facebook

·
Premium Member
2007 Sol NA (work in progress)
49 Posts
I just got a 2006 Solstice for Christmas! (Santa and my wife were VERY good to me this year!) It has some miles on it (just over 100K) and a little rough around the edges, but so much fun. Will enjoy putting the rough spots right. Thanks for a great forum and would love to meet other Solstice owners in SW Michigan.

Facebook
If you haven't seen it, the national Kappa meet will be right around the corner from you, outside Travers City I believe, sometime in May. Great place to meet other Sol/Sky owners! Hopefully, we'll have one in the SE sometime!

·
Registered
18 Posts

Congratulations.. I also own an 06 base model with 24K mileage. This forum is a fantastic reference of knowledge with many great people who can assist just about anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you haven't seen it, the national Kappa meet will be right around the corner from you, outside Travers City I believe, sometime in May. Great place to meet other Sol/Sky owners! Hopefully, we'll have one in the SE sometime!
We lived in Traverse City for 10 years, so I will have to watch for that. It's a beautiful area to cruise.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts